Stock Options for Short Action Savage CL (Left Hand)

NDGuy

WKR
My uncle sold me his older left handed .243 Savage 110 CL model for $250. He doesn't live near me so I didn't get the chance to look it over before my dad picked it up for me. I got it yesterday and the stock epoxy has spiderwebbed completely along the stock. It is straight vertical spiderweb lines that are really noticeable when the light hits it right. This shouldn't affect the gun much for the time being but I did buy this to use and teach my kids with since it's a light shooting rifle. I wanted to pass it down as well.

Does anyone make a decent wood stock in this model? I didn't turn up much for searches because most places only have a long action stock. I would swap it for a synthetic stock if need be but I would like to keep as a wood stock if possible.

Otherwise what would my other options be? I was told I can sand it down and restain/epoxy if needed but I would prefer a professional to do it or to just swap a stock out.

If it sounds like too much to deal with I might just have him take it back and not bother messing with it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Wapiti1

WKR
Boyds will probably have a stock that will fit. You will need to know the spacing between the action screws, and if it is a blind or detachable magazine for them to know which model to use. Savage has used 3 different screw spacings and action lengths through the years (at least 3, maybe 4). The original short action wasn't short like the one they sell today.

You could also call Numrich Gunparts Corp and see if they have any that will fit. They usually have a bunch of Savage stocks. Or troll Ebay for one. In all cases, you will need to know the screw spacing and magazine type to get the right stock.

Jeremy

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
NDGuy,

Your rifle is a long action. As stated above you’ll need the info to get the correct stock.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
NDGuy,

Your rifle is a long action. As stated above you’ll need the info to get the correct stock.

Yes I was in error assuming it was a short action. However another problem I am running into is it has the mag release on the side of the rifle. All of Boyd stocks I saw said they do not work withe the side mag release.

I think my Uncle said it was made in the 80s.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Oof...

Without finding a takeoff or going custom you’ll probably have a hard time finding a replacement.

Wapiti1

WKR
Shoot me a PM and I may have a stock that will work.

The other option you have is to convert it to a blind magazine and get that style stock which is very common.

Jeremy

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks for the direction gents. I am kind of teetering between just getting my $250 back or using it as is and when it wears out just keep it in the vault haha

JFK

WKR
If the cracks are just cosmetic cracks in the poly finish and not in the wood then refinishing the stock seems like a decent option. A lot of those old savages didn’t have checkering so you’d literally just have to give it a light sanding and re-finish however you like. If it doesn’t turn out the way you want you’d only have a few dollars and a few hours invested in it. Boyd’s would be another source that probably has a stock that would fit.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
One on ebay that should work. I checked the one I have, and it is right handed. I would have sworn it was a lefty, but nope.

Savage Model 110 C Left Hand Stock - Factory New | eBay

Jeremy

Thanks for the find I appreciate it. I think I am going to buy that one.

I wonder if my action screw gap matters now? There wouldn't be variations between the CL model with the side mag release I assume right?

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Any people have experience with Boyd's? I think I found a stock on their website, just curious if anyone had personally used their products.

JFK

WKR
Any people have experience with Boyd's? I think I found a stock on their website, just curious if anyone had personally used their products.

I have one of their stocks. A walnut platinum stock on my savage 270. Very nice stock for the money with custom checkering options. The inlet job was good and only required a tiny, tiny amount of touch up around the trigger and I free floated the tang (a good idea with all savages). I pillar bedded it as well and it shoots great, although it shot great in the factory stock too. One additional thing I like is that their walnut stocks are pretty light. I forget the exact weight but it was right around 2lbs.

My one gripe with Boyd’s was that the first stock they sent had the checkering off center and it took a LONG time to get a new one sent.....but they did take $50 off the price of the stock so in the end I feel they made it right. Like someone else said, go over to savage shooters forum. Tons of info over there