Best Turkey Slayer?

Jimss

WKR
I'm in the process of narrowing down choices of turkey shotguns. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Remington 21 or 23" barrel, 870 with pistol-grip stock. It certainly would be a bit lighter and easier to haul up and down the turkey hills. From what I've heard the shorter barrels with chokes still can reach out and clobber gobblers. Does anyone else have any with the shorter 870 barrels or other turkey slayers?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have an 870 20ga youth with a 21" barrel. I love the size of it. I prefer a regular stock over a pistol grip, though.

weaver

WKR
I like short barrels and pistol grips for turkey hunting.
With the loads available now I think my next turkey gun would be a 20ga but I have no interest in shooting a turkey beyond 40 yds.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

codym

WKR
I have a weatherby sa459 in 20 ga. It has a short barrel, pistol grip, fast fire 3, sumtoy .562 and I load TSS 9's. It patterns better than my 3 1/2 12 ga and is way lighter and handier. Check it out, best little turkey gun set up there is.

Get whatever barrel length you like, it really doesn’t matter for stationary targets. Matters even less if you have some form of front and rear sight or you are extremely consistent with your shoulder mount and cheek weld. the choke tube and to a lesser degree the shell you choose will do all the heavy lifting. With the right choke you won’t be giving up much with a 2 3/4” shell instead of a 3.5”.
I prefer a longer 28” barrel for two reasons
#1 its easier on my eardrums by a huge degree. I have to wear EP with shorter barrels or my ears ring for days, yours will too if you abuse them enough.
#2 if I need to make a follow up shot on a running or flying bird the handling characteristics of the long barrel give me a tremendous advantage over a short barrel.
Whatever you choose, make sure you practice so you know what its capable of.

I am a fan of shorter barrels for a turkey gun. I have a 20" Ithaca Turkeyslayer 12ga, a 18.5" Ithaca Turkeyslayer 20ga. Both throw patterns good enough for shooting beyond reasonable ranges.
If it were legal to go shorter I would.

Esse quam videri

I too use a 20 gauge 870 youth model and love it. I have other much nicer shotguns but that one is so handy for turkey hunting.

I bought it for my wife and I love it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk