Dilemma

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
So I just put a bunch of work and money into my 270 wsm and then I drew an amazing elk tag. Ideally I would have bought a new 300 or 338 but I no longer have the money to do so and I'm stuck with my 270 wsm. I would like to be proficient to 600 yards and I'm having trouble with bullet selection, accubond, Norma oryx, and the partition are the bullets I'm looking at. Does anyone have any other suggestions for bullet choice?

hodgeman

WKR
Your 270WSM will be just fine on an elk. As mentioned, test some elk appropriate bullets like those you mentioned and rock on. Back in the day, the .270 was considered marginal for elk...with modern bullets, it's more than capable.

When testing bullets- also try different weights, .270WSM loads are generally 130-150 gr and your rifle may have a distinct preference.

OP
B

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Before I had all the work done on my rifle it was shooting 140 accubonds just barely sub moa, my biggest concern with the tougher partition and oryx is the lead tip and substantially lower bc. Am I over thinking the importance of bc at 600 yards?

hodgeman

WKR
Before I had all the work done on my rifle it was shooting 140 accubonds just barely sub moa, my biggest concern with the tougher partition and oryx is the lead tip and substantially lower bc. Am I over thinking the importance of bc at 600 yards?

I think so. It's entirely likely that your shot will be much shorter than 600 and even out that far, BC is a bit overrated as a factor. The Trophy Bonded Bearclaw and the TTSX are both more aerodynamic than a PT and plenty tough to smack into an elk. If you knew you were going to draw the long shot- the 145gr ELDX would be a fine choice as well.

I wouldn't spend all summer overthinking this. Get something that shoots good and make sure you have enough freezer space.

MHWASH

WKR
Your over thinking it, just like I always do. If the Accubond will stay MOA or close to it at 600 your good to go. The AB is easily as tough as the Partition.

gbflyer

WKR

I don’t think BC is a big deal at 600. I shoot 140gr Nosler CC and 140gr Partition in the same rifle. Same basic muzzle velocity. Both will ring my 10” steel plate at 600 without changing the elevation dial. I suppose heavy wind could change a few things, but for me 600 is pushing it on an animal anyway. Conditions would need to be perfect.

I agree with whoever said to use the ones you shoot the best with, high BC or not.

OP
B

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
I think I will probably just stick with the 140 accubond, Im using factory ammo that is a little slow to my liking right now so I may just try to get a family friend to load me some up due to me not quite being set to reload. Thanks guys.

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
What barrel twist? I built a 270 wsm we shot a big horn sheep at 704 yards with the 165 matrix.. I know that's not a elk. I'm at 2300 ft above sea level but with those bulets I wouldnt Hesitate to shoot a elk out to 8-900 yards.

What is the twist on your barrel? I'd look at the heavy Bergers for elk if you have the right twist. 170's i think

Jardo

WKR
I've killed a dozen elk with my 270 win pushing 140 grain accubonds out of my 22 inch barrel at 2855 fps. Never had one get away yet. You wsm will easily push these 200fps faster. A 270wsm with 140 g accubonds is gtg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

530Chukar

WKR
I also shoot the 140gr Accubonds from my 270 WSM. No problem with elk at all. It’s an amazing bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk