Glock 20 with Streamlight TLS-1 HL or without?

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Picking up a G20 in the near future and have been thinking of adding a Streamlight TLS-1 HL on the rail. Has anyone else added the light to their 20's or just use handheld flashlight in their off hand when something goes bump in the night at home or in the backcountry. Also noticed they are 25% off at Cabelas right now and I have a few gift cards burning a hole in my wallet, final cost to me would be under $100.

Beendare

WKR
I've got the TLR3 on my nightstand gun......I think its 125 lumens vs the 300 or 350 of the TLR1. Its plenty of light for clearing my house.

I suppose more light is better for blinding the perp.....in a dark house that TLR3 is pretty dang bright though.

I can't tell you how they work from a holster as I don't have a lot of trigger time in with that.

Fatcamp

WKR
Spent a bunch of time with both. 9mm pistols but the same concept. Used a G19 and a G17 with a TLR-1 in both USPSA courses of fire and local indoor events that included some night time stuff. No comparison to using a handheld once you learn the proper technique.

One principal of this whole concept is that the light should be pointed at the ground to illuminate areas, not pointed out blind into areas where you do not know what is there, like a loved one. That is the reason for using massive lumens on pistols. Shine at the ground using an on/off technique. There are numerous ways to hold a handheld, and while all are good, none can be used if carrying a child, opening a door, or assisting someone who is injured.

Sodbuster

WKR
Backpack Hunter

I prefer a light on my weapon as opposed to using one off of it. There are pros and cons both ways, but for me the pros of keeping the light on the weapon outweigh the cons.

Same here. Glock 40 and a pair Sig 45's run the lights when resting at the house.

JWP58

WKR
I dont have a 20, but i carry a 35 and 23 at work (and concealed) . Both wear tlr1 streamlight's. I dont carry with a weapon mounted light while hunting tho...

Weight isn't worth it when hunting.

jeffpg

WKR
I carry my 10mm Glock when hunting in bear country. I try to keep the light on me so that I have it for the weapon when hiking in the dark, and especially in the event that I get a elk down and have to deal with it in the darkness. To me, the efficiency of the mounted light is well worth the small amount of weight.

I dont have that exact light ( using a surefire on my Glocks ) but having a rail mounted light and shooting with one in low light conditions is ideal vs having a hand held light or headlamp while firing IMO. Attend a low light handgun course using your chosen rail mounted light or go to the outdoor range and experiment with the rail mounted light vs other options and it should become clear what works best.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
I like the light on my home gun, m&p 45. Don't like lights on any carry gun do to holster challenges, close encounters. For my glock 20, my dedicated carry while hunting, I changed sights to XS glow and have a lasermax on order, that with my headlamp walking at night works for me.

jeffpg

WKR
That looks like the ticket, but I don't see a holster option for either my G40 or your G20... did you call them for fitment verification?

Yes, I had to call Viridian to get the correct holster for the G20 and C5L w/ Tacloc. They were great to deal with.