tikka t3x 300wsm - good/accurate elk factorylammo?

davsco

WKR
so those that have a tikka t3x in 300wsm, what factory ammo, with a good elk bullet, is accurate for you? i know every gun is different, but at least this gives me something to start with. thanks!

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own that specific rifle and cartridge combo but have shot Tikkas a lot (own 2 in other chamberings + one that I sold previously). If you are looking for a general purpose hunting bullet (400 yd expected max range) I'd say go with the factory Barnes 165 TTSX. That bullet shoots and kills very well in my experience. If you think there is a good chance of a shot longer than that, I'd say Winchester loaded nosler ABLR or maybe the new federal bonded TLR. I'd personally rather not use a lead bullet at WSM velocities on an a close to medium range shot. Was with a buddy last fall who shot an elk at 100 yds with his 300wsm and a Sierra gameking.... It made a mess and wasted meat.

One other thing to keep in mind with .30 cal tikkas is they are twisted 1:11, so not well suited to the really long, heavy for caliber, high BC bullets. I'm sure you'll love the tikka, good luck!

I would buy a box of the Nosler trophy grade 180gr accubond. The trophy grade Nosler stuff has shot well in my Rifle

wildcat33

WKR
When i had the gun, Federal box ammo with 180gr partitions always shot well. With reloads it was pretty forgiving. I got good results with 168 ttsx and 165gr accubonds. I never really like shooting it enough to do a lot of load development.

jhm2023

WKR
I've owned a few Tikkas and also reloading for a couple of buddies who owned them. I could get ever one of them shooting sub MOA with Barnes factory ammo and/or reloads w/ Barnes bullets. I've killed everything from fox to moose with the TTSX also so they'll work just fine on elk. My vote gets the Barnes vor-tx ammo with 165 TTSX