Paint Tikka Stock

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm going to try painting a T3 Lite stock with Rust-Oleum Stone Paint. I'll rough it up with sandpaper and wipe down with alcohol or Acetone and try some Stone Paint. Has anyone tried this paint or have any suggestions before I screw this stock up?

The polymers that tikka uses on their stocks make them very hard to paint; paint has a hard time adhereing to it. But its not impossible- I would do lots of research before doing this.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I'm ignorant of something but I just painted one and it came out fine. Just wiped down with acetone and then painted with krylon fusion camo paint. I did a simple sponge paint camo, sort of inspired by Manners. Really quick and easy. It is only a couple weeks old now but paint is well adhered. Great thing is if it gets scratched it'll blend with the pattern, and if it gets really mucked up I can re-do it in less than 2hrs.
I haven't used the "stone" paint yet, but I have a can of it in "granite" color in my garage. I did use a textured rustoleum paint to get a sand paper like finish on a savage stock. Couple things to keep in mind... make sure the textured paint doesn't get where it doesn't belong (action mating surfaces, recoil lug, etc), do a base coat of a flat color similar to the textured top coat, then finally use several coats of matte clear. Last but not least be careful when using sun screen or bug spray and shooting with a home painted stock. Take my word for it.

aBlNaUH.jpg

Z6lw7kM.jpg

The polymers that tikka uses on their stocks make them very hard to paint; paint has a hard time adhereing to it. But its not impossible- I would do lots of research before doing this.

I had no problem, cleaned, roughed up with some scotch bright, painted, clear coat and hunted antelope and deer with it last year and there's not a single scratch or bit of paint missing.

For tikka and other polymer stocks (not so much w/ kevlar) I've heard of guys using self etching primer before paint similar to what body shops use for vehicle repair. Id be curious to hear feedback on it but might be worth looking into. The thought is that polymer has (even when scuffed) less to bond to as the intricate fibers that kevlar does. Truth? I don't know but I was looking into painting a tikka stock a while back and stumbled across it

OP
N

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Got it sanded and wiped with Acetone...Question...do you paint the little plastic nobby at the bottom of the pistol grip that has "T3" on it. It's kind of a clear plastic thingy.
Never mind, I'm painting everything.

Last edited:

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Please post a pic or two when you're done. I'd like to see how the stone texture and look turns out. I'm going to do another tikka stock this weekend. Same sponge pattern/technique with some different colors... FYI the krylon "olive" camo color is pretty spot on for baby poop green. I prefer the krylon "light green" camo color. YMMV

OP
N

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks my Friend.
The paint job was really easy, we'll see how it holds up,. I thought the color would be a darker gray but we will see how it looks with a stainless barrel. It's a spare stock I had laying around from a T3 Lite( now in a Boyd's Stock) so if I messed it up I wasn't to worried. Next I'll do my T3x stock because it's a easy project. I do like the texture of this paint.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looks awesome thanks for posting. If you wanted darker finish, a darker primer/base coat might help.

JFK

WKR
One thing I’ve noticed is that the paint will be “dry” within a few hours but continues to cure and become much more durable for a week or more. I did a stock last year and after it was finished I put it in a warm closet in a place I knew it wouldn’t get bumped into. Left it there for a couple weeks and the paint setup really nice with a hard durable finish. I did mine with khaki base and black webbing with approx 10 VERY thin coats of matte clear and it turned out awesome.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Did another one this weekend. Tried for a more mottled camo look, rather than the splotchy "Manners" style. Top stock will go back on my 6.5 Superlite, bottom is my 30-06.

oHKhL2Wh.jpg

colersu22

WKR
That kind of has the look of the new Sitka pattern. I redid mine this weekend since I never clear coated it so it has chipped off the past 2 years. I made sure to sand it and give it a good cleaning before I started painting again.

QPqHo9Q.jpg

QhiEDmQ.jpg

colersu22

WKR
Yes mine is sponged, painted the base coat then sponged on the color, after that i misted it with the base coat color again then finished it off with clear coat. Just dropped off the action/barrel/bolt and 20 moa rail to get cerakoted flat dark earth.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I painted my t3 super lite with krylon super flat camo then black webbing spray. But after applying five light coats of krylon matte clear coat the stock turned really shiny. I think it's shiny enough to scare game away. I tried wet sanding with 320 grit but that was too aggressive. Anyone have ideas to remove the shine? I can order flat krylon clear coat but I don't know if there will be less shine then the matte.
a637d8c42a64ea9d567d29eaa291b2c1.jpg