Paint Tikka Stock

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good looking stocks!

Yes, both of mine pictured are sponged too. Just wiped down with acetone, and sponge on paint, one color at a time.

As far as clear coat goes, I've had good results with the Rustoleum Matte Clear. But that too still had some shine to it. You could try just roughing it up with a scotch brite pad or something similar? Might be tough to remove the shine with out removing the coat, and possibly some paint...

On these two most recent paint jobs I'm not going to clear coat them. I like the very flat finish of the Krylon camo by itself, and with these sponge patterns if they scratch or chip it will blend, or is really easy to dab on a little more paint, or even a complete re-do. Plus, to me the clear coating is the worst part of the job...

Last edited:

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to remove most shine along with a little paint with a rough scotch brite pad. I'm sure the paint won't last as long but I will be happy if I get 4 or so seasons before touch up/recoat. Next time I will use flat matte and only 2 light coats. I'm still planning to sponge the scope and rings but here is my assembled tikka superlite. I used tool drawer liner foam fabric to get the dot look.
137ad30429b16cea8c536cf47c0bbb25.jpg

Blaw

WKR
I use the rustoleum or krylon flat camo colors with sponges, no clear coats of any kind and no prep other then a quick wash with dish soap and ensuring its completely dry....holds up outstanding
-side note I really like the beat up "this rifle has been used" look of ryan cleckners rem700 with the short barrel....wish we could have suppressors in canada :(142318142319

Did another one this weekend. Tried for a more mottled camo look, rather than the splotchy "Manners" style. Top stock will go back on my 6.5 Superlite, bottom is my 30-06.

oHKhL2Wh.jpg

I know this is an old thread but it's worth a shot. What color combo for each? Which brand of paint?

Upper rifle: Woodland Green and Khaki on a base black stock?
Lower rifle: Olive and Khaki on a base black stock?

WCB

WKR
I've painted a bunch of stocks with Krylon...have not clear coated any. My main fox coyote gun goes in and out of the truck a bunch...goes in the front seat with my wedged in and the only spot that has paint damage is where it has scrapped against the plastic my center counsel. The stock is snow camo (black, white, gray) so the black showing throwing through isn't even noticeable.

I painted a second stock for that gun for hunting with it when there is not snow (more desert camo) and forgot to clean the stock before painting. had a few spots come off rather quick but riding int he truck and being shot all summer no major concerns.

KJH

WKR
For tikka and other polymer stocks (not so much w/ kevlar) I've heard of guys using self etching primer before paint similar to what body shops use for vehicle repair. Id be curious to hear feedback on it but might be worth looking into. The thought is that polymer has (even when scuffed) less to bond to as the intricate fibers that kevlar does. Truth? I don't know but I was looking into painting a tikka stock a while back and stumbled across it
I know it's an old thread, but I've done dozens of synthetic stocks and at least 20 tikkas. I always use self etching primer first and then the paint. I don't know how it would turn out if you didn't use it, but I charge for painted stocks so it's a little insurance for me. It holds up well with the primer.