What scope do you run?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a new 300WM barrel for my T/C ProHunter. Now I need some glass for it. I would prefer lightweight. I can't see myself taking a popshot at more than 700yd or so, but it's possible. I've run Nightforce in the past and really like them. I've been eyeballing their 4-16 x 42 ATACR, but I'm not sure I want to sink that much coin into it just yet. So, I wanted to see if RS could come up with something comparable.

-Somewhat lightweight, ~40mm objective
-Elevation turret w/ zero stop
-Capped windage (maybe?)
-Prefer hash reticles
-34mm tube (maybe)

What ya got?

skierhs

WKR
I am a huge NF fan. I currently have a 7-35 on a 338LM and a 4-14 F1 shv on a 270. for a 300 wm the 4-16 atacr is a hard package to beat. The ATACR series may not be the lightest scope but at least you can beat the elk to death with your scope if the rifle fails and put it back on with it still keeping proper zero.

For the distances you are describing I have used both a NF NXS and a Bushnell LRHS. For clarity I would go with the NXS, for reticle and functionality the LHRS is hard to beat, especially for hunting.

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I am a huge NF fan. I currently have a 7-35 on a 338LM and a 4-14 F1 shv on a 270. for a 300 wm the 4-16 atacr is a hard package to beat. The ATACR series may not be the lightest scope but at least you can beat the elk to death with your scope if the rifle fails and put it back on with it still keeping proper zero.

That's why I love them. Not the best glass, but adequate, and they're built like a Sherman tank.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't ignore the SWFA 3-9. It has great glass, very useful reticle, tracks, and has a reputation for being really tough. Mine has been flawless so far, but I've only had it for a year. It doesn't have an integral zero stop, but one can be added. I've used the zero stop shims available on eBay. They work well. With all that said, it isn't a nightforce. But it also costs less than 25% of most nightforce scopes. I've only gotten an opportunity to shoot rifles with NF scope on two occasions and they were awesome. Never owned one just cause I don't have the $. Honestly though, the SWFA hung right there with it, except maybe in the category of driving nails or clubbing an elk to death, and we shot to 800yds with them both one day. Certainly capable of 700 yd hunting shots, if the shooter and rifle are. I'd say if you can afford the NF, go for it for sure. If the price of the NF hurts, I wouldn't (didn't) hesitate to try the swfa 3-9 (or 6x if you want to go really cheap)

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever run one of the new SIG scopes? They look stout.

WRO

WKR
Anyone ever run one of the new SIG scopes? They look stout.
A couple buddies run them and say nothing but good.

The x5 3.5x18 is another choice.

34mm tube is a waste imho for your application, you won't see any benefit from it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
34mm tube is a waste imho for your application, you won't see any benefit from it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

True. I still have my mind stuck on the 22x NF's I used to play with at 1200+. I guess I really don't need that much elevation for a magnum caliber and the distances I'm slinging them. Though, I can't say I won't try, just for funzies (at paper).

Since starting this thread, I started skimming Midway. Found this, got a bit of a semi:

Sig Sauer Tango6 Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 3-18x 44mm Side Focus First

That weight, though...

Thoughts?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just put a nightforce shv 3-10x42 on my sheep/mountain rifle. Due to the weight of the scope and mounting system, my set up gained ~ 13oz so it’s 6.5lbs now, preciously it was 5lb 11oz so I sort have mixed feelings. I love the scope, just not sure if I love it as much as having a 5/11 rifle.

That being said, if I take the scope off my mountain rifle, I’ll just buy another rifle to put it on, the scope isn’t going anywhere.

WKR
Nightforce and SWFA are proven entities. For what you are describing, I'd just buy a 6x SWFA and go shoot a lot.

Adubs

FNG
I put a Z8i 2-16x50 on my 300 win 92 backcountry and added the ballistic turret. Light scope with great glass! Perfect sheep/elk gun for me...

I actually started with the 4-16x42 atacr but the casing would hit the wind turret and fall back in the action while trying to eject it. Instead of raising the scope I switched it out for the swaro, there are definitely trade offs between the two but I’m happy with the end result.