Accurate 22 bolt action?

Macintosh

WKR
I have a cz 455. Mine was a trainer but it ended up with an varminter stock and no iron sights. Its definitely full size, full weight rifle. Cz has a fan club among rimfire shooters, most I have seen are pretty accurate but I know every once in a while they kick one out that is pretty average at best. It helps to make sure everything is torqued correctly on them. Scope, just make sure to get an adjustable objective that will focus down to 25yds or less. My gun will hold about 1moa about half of the time at 50 yds with cci or federal target, but if you feed it sk+ or rws comp rifle, it really tightens up and is a lot more consistent. A lot of folks swear by the cci standard velocity as best accuracy/$, but I noticed a very significant improvement in accuracy out past 50yds when I went to match grade ammmo. There are a lot of aftermarket parts and assessories available for CZ, but if you put too much into it after market you might as well get an anschutz.

WoodDuck

FNG
If you aren’t dead set on caliber, take a look at a CZ in .17 HM2. Ammo was hard to come by a few years ago but that doesn’t seem to be an issue anymore, and it seems to be an inherently accurate caliber.

boom

WKR
i'm assuming 022LR here.

i bought a .22 Savage FV-SR. i chose it for a few reasons.
1. Price; i got it last holiday. with the $50 rebate, i think i remember paying $187 for the rifle. with scope and rings i am WAY under $400. (i recently changed the gunstock and brought it up around $400)
2. it is suppressor ready - my brother and his friends have plenty, and when i am in the texas desert, it would be fun to borrow one.
3. it is an appliance. i bought it to simply shoot at small game. and i am going to AK to shoot grouse.

what i didnt expect; was that is is so much friggen fun. my rifle is super accurate. i out shot a bunch of guys with all types of heavier calibers. 125 yards shooting clay pigeons. call our shots. i think i hit 15 disc in a row at 125. no misses. at 50 yards with CCI SV, i can get .25 groups off of bags and bench. i do get the occasional failure to eject. but the bolt comes apart so easily. i never cleaned the bolt properly. i took it part, made it spotless. next range time will tell. SAvage did send me new ejector parts. i want to polish them up.

if i could do it over again..knowing how fun it is. i think i would have invested more money. i would buy a CZ 452 American.

my Savage is no slouch in the accuracy dept. it is nuts how accurate it is for the money i spent. my brother shoots hovering yellow jackets with his at 15 yards. but the Savage has this appliance feel. it is just so tool-like. perfect for harsh hunts. like Alaska. hehe.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I have had an older Anschutz, an original Kimber 82, a Kimber classic (IIRC), and now have a CZ 455. My son has a 455 as well. They all have their points, but overall, I am happiest with the 455. Mine is the heavier barreled varmint model, my son's is the American.

For the most part, almost any gun you buy could be great or not so great. The more you spend (Anschutz) the more likely it is in my opinion that you will have a good shooter, but it's still not guaranteed by any means. What I like about the CZ, the overall build is very solid. Triggers are replaceable (Timney). Stocks are replaceable (various), and most of all....barrels. Easily replaceable with a premium Lilja. Last I checked, they were around 300 for the barrel, and replacement is done at home. In addition, you get the option of caliber swaps...22lr, 22mag, 17hmr. Plus threaded barrels, heavy barrels, shorter barrels etc.

Both of our CZ's shoot really well. But I knew before I bought that no matter what, I had options if they did not, other than just sell and try again. Start with a 350ish gun, see how it shoots...make some changes if necessary and have just what you want in the end, and maybe a second or third caliber option to boot.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
I need to get my hands on the CZ and a Savage to get a real feel for them. Some great suggestions for choosing a 22lr, very much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a CZ 455 with the nice walnut stock and put a 2-7 Leupold rimfire scope on it. It really shoots great. 5 shot groups at 50 yards are from 1/2" to 1". Very consistent. My buddy liked it and got the 17 HMR in the same model. What a great shooting gun. He put a 3-9 Leupold rimfire scope on it.

sbsyncro

FNG
Another vote for the CZ455. I have mine set up with BKL rings and a Vortex Crossfire II AO scope and it’s a versatile squirrel/rabbit gun that sees both a lot of field time and range time. It’s just a damned pleasure to shoot.

Best of all the most accurate ammo I’ve found for it is either Águila Super Extra (blue) or Federal Automatch (and I’ve tried all the expensive match stuff except Wolf). Both are around $0.045 a round and will shoot 1/4” groups at 25 yds no problem (other than the occasional flier).

I also love being able to bolt on a 17HMR or 22WMR barrel for different types of game.

The comment about accuracy and torque of barrel retaining screws is spot on. I also had to clearance my stock a mm or so to clear the barrel in a couple spots.

Wonderful gun!

Cz 455 are sweet for what they are. Some come with nice figured wood.

I think the real difference between them and the next tier is the flyer issue.

After running a fortner just once I am forever scarred as to what a firearm should be.

I saw that cz now makes a stainless 455..

Can't remember but is the safety backwards on the 455 like their rifles?

Vintage mossberg 22 are the best deal.

Picked up a 1936 mossberg that shoots equally as well as a guy I knows kimber..

Sold the sling swivels studs and scope mount.

Can't complain for a free 82 year old rifle that likes auto match

sbsyncro

FNG
Cz 455 are sweet for what they are. Some come with nice figured wood.

I think the real difference between them and the next tier is the flyer issue.

To clarify, the "flyer" issue - thats not the gun, it is inconsistency in the cheaper bulk ammo. If I use my Waltz or Paco die on them the fliers pretty much disappear.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I have a cz455 american 22lr and love it. beautiful stock and a tackdriver. I put a leupold rimfire 2-7 on it, excellent scope.

Is your reason for bolt action strictly accuracy, or for other reasons? Sorry if I missed it earlier and you already stated it :)

I ask because a decent 10/22 can be very accurate... these pics are my bone stock 10/22 - .22s are pretty ammo dependent - spend a little money on 10 or so different loads.

There are both 10 shot semi rapid fire groups 30 yards - NOT off a bench

Nup318nl.jpg

cQSVoDOl.jpg

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Multiple reasons for bolt action. First is for my kids to spend more time operating a bolt action as they learn and become better marksmen. 2nd is also along same lines, so they can learn to clean and care for the rifle. 3rd is I am gonna to outfit both kids with the same 22, 308 and 12 ga guns and will have 3 of each setup exactly the same. Trying to keep the family shooting and the ammo,cleaning and repairing juggles to a minimum.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Went to local sporting goods store and pulled the trigger on a new 22 combo. Decided to try the Savage MK and a Leupold 2-7 freedom rimfire. The cheapskate in me came out. I picked the whole combo up for $420 bucks. Worst case scenario,I can plink turtles, snakes and beavers out of the pond. If it’s a shooter,
9699482e2eb7040c581040201915cfc1.heic
perhaps head shot squirrels will be it’s calling. Thanks for all the tips and information from everyone.

Savages are usually shooters

Nice thing is you can throw it in a Boyd's and get a center fire in the same Boyd's so as they get older the controls are the same and it scales up.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Those leupold 2-7 rimfire scopes are nice. I havnt tried the freedom version but I have a few vx1s that I really like.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
A follow up. This Savage is a shooter as many of you said it would be. For a serious plinking, squirrel hunting, toss around gun it is just the ticket.