Accurate 22 bolt action?

blackdawg

WKR
Searching for a bolt action 22 that is accurate but won’t break the bank, any suggestions for rifles and scope setups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like my ruger 77/22 but they are a bit hard to find these days.

The cz 455 would be worth a serious look.

If you don’t want to spend much, the ruger American rimfire is pretty decent for ~ 300 bucks.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a ruger american rimfire in stainless. Threaded heavy barrel. Very accurate, tough, and cheap. I like it a lot. I had a Savage Mark II FV-SR before. It was really accurate too. Cool set up, but it would occasionally not eject a spent shell. Especially when it got dirty. I like to shoot my .22 a lot so I sold it. I've heard that is a common problem with the Mark IIs. Savage now has the B22, but I have no experience with that one yet.

nrh6.7

WKR
You could also look at CZ's 452, although they're getting hard to find. The American version is setup for optics and the Lux is great for open sights. The 452 has been replaced with the 455.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Googled CZ , looks good and the price isn’t bad,,$450 is probably max I would like to spend. Is .25 inch group at 25 yds really good, great or poor? Not sure how lofty my shooting and accuracy goals should be.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking at the CZ, I would also consider the new Tikka T1X; I think it's a little bit more expensive, but still just under $500. Check Whitakers. It's a brand new model, so it doesn't have the proven track record that some of the other suggestions do, however I would be very surprised if it wasn't an accurate, reliable firearm. I'm holding off on ordering one until I've had a chance to check it out in person.

If you like older guns, like I do, look into the Mossberg 340 “series”. I have a 346c (I think, maybe an “a”?) with a magazine, the 346b is tube fed which j used to own but no longer do. Great bolt actions and highly accurate. The best thing about the 346 is that they are “full size” with 20+ inch barrels and longer length of pulls. Many 22’s back then and now are smaller frames to allow for youth shooters. There are 340’s, 341’s, and 342’s that look similar but I have never handled.

Savage and CZ are pretty great choices in that class of gun. I bought an anschutz because it filled a very specific benchrest competition "need", but ive seen plenty of guys do extremely well with both of those choices. Ammo will be the biggest decider of accuracy. Either of those guns should hold .25 at 25 yds with the right ammo. Good luck and post pics of the completed setup and groups when your dialed in...i never get enough :)

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Thanks, y’all have given great info and I will be spending some time googling and price checkin

JFK

WKR
If a rimfire that shoots tiny groups is your goal maybe look at 17hmr. I have a Savage 17hmr with bull barrel and it’s stupid accurate. .25” at 50yds all day long, and less than an inch at 100” is no problem as long as it’s a calm day. Ammo is a little more money....that’s the only downside.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have seen a few new CZ 452s on various websites lately. I don’t have that particular model but I have a coupe of other 452s. With ammo they like and no wind, I have shot quite a few 5 shot groups hovering on either side of an inch at 100 yards. The 452 has a barrel that is threaded into the receiver while the barrel on the newer 455 is a press fit with threaded bolts anchoring the barrel once positioned. An advantage of the 455 set up is that you can swap barrels yourself. There is even a combo version of the 455 with both a 22lr barrel and a 17HMR barrel. I have considered picking up a 455 in 22lr and replacing the factory barrel with a Lilja barrel. That barrel costs just about as much as the rifle but I bet it would be a shooter.

As far as optics, I have an old Leupold Vari X III 4.5-14x40 with an M1 elevation turret on my 452v and a VX-2 1-4 on my 452fs.

Last edited:
blackdawg, an accurate .22 is a great tool to have. I enjoy shooting mine even though I am a bowhunter for big game. I've got some nice .22s, but recently fell into a 50 year old Winchester M69A clip fed bolt action. This dang old beater that I paid $100 (Canadian) for including a Weaver scope shoots 1/4" groups at 25 yards the only time I had it out. Bluing is rough but the trigger is good and the barrel is excellent. Good luck, and I'd second the CZ455 if you are looking new as mine is very accurate and well built!

RedRidge

WKR
Big fan of the CZ as well. Mine is very accurate with iron sights and is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
I have a pile of 22 rifles, none shooting with precision accuracy. Have never seen a CZ but need to now. Are you using normal centerfire scopes, rings, bases?

Trial153

WKR
I have a Winchester model 52b sporter that is more accurate than I am.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk