What happened to Tikka T3X prices

hornmtn

FNG
What happened to Tikka T3x Prices? Use to be around 600 online and now they are 750 everywhere? Wanted to pick up another one, guess I should’ve done it already. Anyone still sell them for 600? Stainless

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sportsmans has SS superlites on sale for $649 through Father's Day. Apparently Tikka/Beretta has started aggressively enforcing pricing. This info was posted on another forum by the manager of a big firearms/Tikka retailer. If I was in the market I'd jump on one from sportsmans now, cause it sounds like they won't be getting any cheaper... in fact I might grab one even though I'm not really in the market

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Tikka just forced new MAP pricing on dealers. Whitaker’s can’t lower the prices any longer which is unfortunate. I wanted to get one for my dad and I held off for a day and the price incr war happened overnight.

They were on the May day sale for about 550.00 now the best they can do is 750. I was in a shop yesterday and they had some tikkas behind the counter, I asked about the price and theirs went from 640 to 750 as well.

Macintosh

WKR
The US dollar is weaker against the euro and other european currencies than it was a year ago, that will drive up the price for any european product.

ChrisAU

WKR
Never owned one, just got one a few weeks ago on GunBroker as a new factory second. Has an extra digit stamped behind the s/n. It’s a T3x Hunter Stainless in 30-06. Beautiful rifle. Certified factory second due to some marks on the stock that it would get in one season hunting imo. Couldn’t pass it up for $479.

According to the Whittaker guy, it was tikka/Sako not Beretta. Also, they stopped any sale of a tikka for under that price. It isn’t minimum advertised, it’s minimum sale. The guy also said that the cost didn’t go up.

Glad I sold my last one. Not interested in supporting a foreign company that requires that the dealers price gouge its customers.

According to the Whittaker guy, it was tikka/Sako not Beretta. Also, they stopped any sale of a tikka for under that price. It isn’t minimum advertised, it’s minimum sale. The guy also said that the cost didn’t go up.

Glad I sold my last one. Not interested in supporting a foreign company that requires that the dealers price gouge its customers.

So you are chastising Tikka for doing what every other MFG that cares about thier brand and ALL of their dealers. Don’t buy Leopold, swaro, night force, Columbia, Sitka, benchmade, etc etc etc

If the Cableas, Sportsman warehouse, bass pro’s etc of this world followed this below MAP way of thinking, there wouldnt be any Whittier’s or small dealers out there.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you want a tikka, you better get to sportsman’s before the 17th. They are on sale for 650 then it’s back to 750 and that aren’t going to get cheaper than that.

R_burg

WKR

Whittakers was selling below MAP, weren't they?

I bought 3 T3x's, from them, so I am not complaining, but I'd be willing to bet that Tikka/Sako was getting complaints from other dealers. Defending MAP isnt exactly gouging customers.

A T3x for 750 is still probably the best rifle for the price on the market.

So you are chastising Tikka for doing what every other MFG that cares about thier brand and ALL of their dealers. Don’t buy Leopold, swaro, night force, Columbia, Sitka, benchmade, etc etc etc

If the Cableas, Sportsman warehouse, bass pro’s etc of this world followed this below MAP way of thinking, there wouldnt be any Whittier’s or small dealers out there.

My understanding is that its not a MAP issue.

Its actually called Resale Price Maintenance... its essentially an agreement that if you're a dealer, you cannot sell the rifles below a certain dollar amount. It has nothing to do with advertised prices.

My understanding is that its not a MAP issue.

Its actually called Resale Price Maintenance... its essentially an agreement that if you're a dealer, you cannot sell the rifles below a certain dollar amount. It has nothing to do with advertised prices.

Correct sort a of, It’s essentially one peice of the entire program, but starts with MAP. Whittaker was doing both.

If a MFG puts something in a “MAP program” then is carries through to RPM and margin assistance from MFG to hold MAP. If a MFG is going to hold the line on what is can be advertised for, they are going to hold the line on what the min its suppose to be sold for.( outside of thier dictated sales)

Technically a MFG cant “make” dealer sell something for a certain price, but they can cut future incentives and future dealer status.

It just interesting how some guys are slamming Tikka, when all they are doing is making things fair for all the dealers and protecting thier product.

KJH

WKR
Tikka just forced new MAP pricing on dealers. Whitaker’s can’t lower the prices any longer which is unfortunate. I wanted to get one for my dad and I held off for a day and the price incr war happened overnight.

They were on the May day sale for about 550.00 now the best they can do is 750. I was in a shop yesterday and they had some tikkas behind the counter, I asked about the price and theirs went from 640 to 750 as well.

Just because they have a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) price, doesn't mean that a dealer can't sell them cheaper. Dealer cost on the guns didn't jump up overnight... If you work with a smaller dealer who can negotiate, you should be able to get the rifle cheaper than the MAP that is online. Beretta/Tikka just pushed out a new MAP policy this month, so that is the reason the advertised prices went up.

Just because they have a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) price, doesn't mean that a dealer can't sell them cheaper. Dealer cost on the guns didn't jump up overnight... If you work with a smaller dealer who can negotiate, you should be able to get the rifle cheaper than the MAP that is online. Beretta/Tikka just pushed out a new MAP policy this month, so that is the reason the advertised prices went up.

They can sell for what ever they want technically, they just might not be able to re-order if the get caught

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

If you go over to the campfire forums, a guy who works for Whitaker’s discussed it in a thread. Apparently tikka is forcing them to not sell for less than the 750.00 price. They are pretty upset about it.

Anyways, I took advantage of the fathers day sale at sportsman’s and got one for 650.00 since I can’t imagine the prices ever coming down again I figured it was now or never.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sportsmans has SS superlites on sale for $649 through Father's Day. Apparently Tikka/Beretta has started aggressively enforcing pricing. This info was posted on another forum by the manager of a big firearms/Tikka retailer. If I was in the market I'd jump on one from sportsmans now, cause it sounds like they won't be getting any cheaper... in fact I might grab one even though I'm not really in the market

That’s what I did today. I wasn’t really in the market but I was planning on getting a cheaper 6.5cm anyways to play with and figured with the sale, I’d just spend a bit more and grab the tikka, I had some gift cards I needed to use anyways. Also like you said, I can’t imagine the prices coming down, I’ve said it before but my first tikka cost me 389.00 from sportsman’s warehouse in 2009/10.

Mulga

FNG
Welcome to my world. Over the last few years prices here in Australia have gone up 30 - 50% thanks to our currency and unscrupulous importers.

FYI Australian prices for a super-lite is $1,329.00

KJH

WKR
That’s what I did today. I wasn’t really in the market but I was planning on getting a cheaper 6.5cm anyways to play with and figured with the sale, I’d just spend a bit more and grab the tikka, I had some gift cards I needed to use anyways. Also like you said, I can’t imagine the prices coming down, I’ve said it before but my first tikka cost me 389.00 from sportsman’s warehouse in 2009/10.

I received the same MAP policy letter from Beretta/Sako/Tikka a couple weeks ago and I read it then.

The MAP is set by Beretta. As a dealer you can't advertise it publicly it for less than that MAP price, but you can quote it for lower individually and sell it for any price you want. Ask a dealer what the MAP is, and they will tell you if they are honest. A dealer will not have any issues if they don't advertise. I believe they are trying to get their MAP in line with the "sell" price as a strategy.

Big stores with many employees usually do not negotiate much, if any, on new firearms. Small dealers with the owner behind the counter can, and usually will get you a better deal. That said, there is nothing wrong with the big stores because they can buy for a discount in volume... that is partially passed on to the consumer. Their problem is sometimes (brand dependent) they can't advertise their lower price.

I expect Beretta to aggressively enforce this policy, unlike most of the other bigger brands. They seem to have a change in market strategy, and time will tell them if they are on the correct path.

Last edited:

fsuitw

FNG
Just picked up a 7 mag blued T3x at Sportsman's Warehouse for $499 ($599 w/ $100 off for Father's day). Tried chasing down a T3 270 wsm that was listed for $399, but it disappeared from the website and I figured the $499 wasn't going to get any better.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just picked up a 7 mag blued T3x at Sportsman's Warehouse for $499 ($599 w/ $100 off for Father's day). Tried chasing down a T3 270 wsm that was listed for $399, but it disappeared from the website and I figured the $499 wasn't going to get any better.

My dad just messaged me, he went to sportsman’s warehouse and showed them the online sale and grabbed a superlite for 650.00, he also grabbed a blued T3x like you got for 499.00.

Good scores!!!

4IDARCHER

WKR

Maybe they saw the store was actually loosing money when I bought mine for $375 this week.