Looking for a new rifle

Kramer588

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a ruger american predator and it shoots great but im i want something a little nicer. I am looking for something for $1000 or under with a standard hunting barrel and preferably a hinged floor plate mag. I know the Tikka T3X is a favorite amongst guys on here, but what other guns in that price range are worth a look? I like the feel of the Bergara B14 Hunter, and the Vanguard Wilderness looks really nice too but it doesnt come in a 6.5 Creedmoor.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The vanguard back country is a cool rifle, I have one in 300wby. You might look at the m70 extreme weather but it’s not a light weight rifle, mine comes in right at 8lbs scoped.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought a new Remington Model Seven SS 7-08 in November and love it. It's a very hand rifle and very accurate.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Remington mountain rifle is pretty cool, my buddy just got one for an upcoming stone sheep hunt. It seems like a nice solid rifle.

It doesn't have the hinged floor plate you're looking for but the Kimber Montana comes in 6.5CM. It's not too difficult to find new Montana's in that price point, but they seem to be a little more proud of the 6.5, so it might be a little more difficult to find one for 1k. Also, like you've already mentioned, the Tikka T3x, and Sportsman' Warehouse has the Superlite for $650 until the 17th.

Ruger 77 Hawkeye fits the bill perfectly.
I bought one in 6.5 CM after playing with a RAR in 6.5 for a year.
Mine is getting a MPI microlite stock put on this summer for my son to use on Kodiak Sitka Blacktail hunt in Nov.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It doesn't have the hinged floor plate you're looking for but the Kimber Montana comes in 6.5CM. It's not too difficult to find new Montana's in that price point, but they seem to be a little more proud of the 6.5, so it might be a little more difficult to find one for 1k. Also, like you've already mentioned, the Tikka T3x, and Sportsman' Warehouse has the Superlite for $650 until the 17th.

Indeed SW does.....I picked up one yesterday. ;)

Rs3003

WKR
I have browning x-bolts. I really like them. Several models that are under your budget.

Jimss

WKR
Do yourself a favor and look at Sako Finnlight. I'm pretty sure it comes in 6.5. It's made in Finland....and the quality speaks for itself. I use my 300 WSM for all species from antelope to elk sized game....hardly kicks, shoots tight groups, and is relatively light weight.

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber montana here too. Mine is a .270 mag. Shoots 140 Barnes under 3/8” great rifle.

I also like the old Ruger all weather skeleton stock, but don’t think you willl find it in 6.5

Why you want 6.5? Not that the aren’t great, but if I was looking at kimber’s for hunting, I would get a 280 AI. Great bullet selection with 7mm

Each to their own thou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kramer588

Kramer588

Lil-Rokslider
The main reason i want the 6.5 is because thats what i currently have. I'm setup for reloading it and have about 200 once fired casings, and also a cheap source for casings from a buddy who likes to shoot but doesn't reload. I know its the new "cool" caliber to have but i find it fun to shoot and a great match for deer sized game.

amassi

WKR
+1 for the Kimber Montana
Browning x bolt- pick your flavor there's many options the hells canyon speed is a slick little rifle
Wby vanguard rc

The kimber is the lightest, thanks to its blind magazine
X bolt has a "polymer" mag
Wby has a floor plate, but is the heaviest. A wilderness would be slick in 6.5 but doesn't look like they offer it.
Tikka also offers the t3x with a 24" tube, but it too has a removable magazine. Sadly the floor plate isn't in vogue anymore

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hey Luke, did you get it in the valley or S. Anc? I called south yesterday and was told that they have 2 left in stock, so I was just wondering if they only have one left now.

If you want the sale price you have to order it from the website and have it shipped to the store. For some reason, not all of the advertised sales online are matched in store which is stupid and annoying.

When I was in there today to pick mine up, the only advertised deal was for the blued t3x lite for 499, they did have some in 6.5.