460 Rowland vs 10mm Woods Defense

jmden

WKR
Woods carry only. Too big and heavy for EDC. I just run Ameriglo night sights on it too and an Inforce APLc for nighttime visits from critters.

worx53

WKR
I have an xd 460. never had a problem yet and shot light and heavy bullets out of it. really nice to shoot with regular 45acp--like no recoil.
id recommend to anyone.

FLAK

WKR
45 Super. If you handload you can get to 460 Rowland levels without the full
blown ported/comp'd barrel extension. If you have a Glock just get an aftermarket
barrel that fully supports the case and a 23-24 lb spring.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
45 Super. If you handload you can get to 460 Rowland levels without the full
blown ported/comp'd barrel extension. If you have a Glock just get an aftermarket
barrel that fully supports the case and a 23-24 lb spring.

As I understand it, the comp is necessary for anything approaching 460 power levels (from 460rowland.com):

Without our Compensator or Ported Barrel, your gun would not properly cycle the powerful 460 Rowland® round. If the accelerated slide speeds resulting from the .460 cartridge are not controlled you will eventually have a case blowout, a result of the barrel unlocking from the breech face prematurely. It could happen with the first round or the fiftieth, but sooner or later it will happen, and it will not be pleasant, to say the least.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I have an xd 460. never had a problem yet and shot light and heavy bullets out of it. really nice to shoot with regular 45acp--like no recoil.
id recommend to anyone.

Thank you sir. How bad is the recoil on the max power loads?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I'm really liking the idea of 40 Super in the FNX 45, but I cant find a barrel for it! EFK no longer makes them. Not having to use a comp for 40 Super is nice.

I like the smaller grip on the FNX over the G20 - it fits my wife's hands better (and mine as well). The extra 150 fps I could push the 10mm bullets to with it are just an added bonus. The FNX has a pretty decent trigger too.

TauPhi111

WKR
I'm really liking the idea of 40 Super in the FNX 45, but I cant find a barrel for it! EFK no longer makes them. Not having to use a comp for 40 Super is nice.

I like the smaller grip on the FNX over the G20 - it fits my wife's hands better (and mine as well). The extra 150 fps I could push the 10mm bullets to with it are just an added bonus. The FNX has a pretty decent trigger too.

My buddy has an EFK 40 Super barrel for his FNP, and it is impressive to say the least. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore, and it seems not many people are making 40 Super barrels at all. I'd go 10mm and run the heavy 220s

FLAK

WKR
As I understand it, the comp is necessary for anything approaching 460 power levels (from 460rowland.com):

Without our Compensator or Ported Barrel, your gun would not properly cycle the powerful 460 Rowland® round. If the accelerated slide speeds resulting from the .460 cartridge are not controlled you will eventually have a case blowout, a result of the barrel unlocking from the breech face prematurely. It could happen with the first round or the fiftieth, but sooner or later it will happen, and it will not be pleasant, to say the least.

The All-New Big .45 SUPER Thread! | The Leading Glock Forum and Community - GlockTalk.com

I also debated this question in my head for months at one point. It's really tempting to go for the 460. Bigger caliber, bullet, and power. But . . . after weighing the ballistic advantages versus the real world variables like "good" vs "great" reliability, and less recoil for faster follow up and more chances at a CNS hit, it just wasn't that important of a difference. That last one I felt was most important, as we really won't be able to stop a bear with body shots from any reasonable handgun, so as long as the bullet is proven to be able to penetrate to the CNS, accuracy and more chances will determine the outcome. As an aside, in my own subjective recollection of the news, there's been more success in putting down bears with a 10mm recently in AK than with 44 mags.

Clarktar

WKR
If anyone wants to sell their G20 10mm let me know.

I have a Rowland springfield xdm conversion I would trade or sell ...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

howl

WKR
The answer to woods carry questions is always .44 revolver or carbine.

S&W 69 is 4 ounces more than FNX-45 and 6 ounces more than the G20. The difference seems like a big deal when you're holding it or bouncing it on your belt. The weight difference goes unnoticed when you're not paying attention to it.

I have not bothered with a 10mm, but it is about the same as a .357, which I have fooled with some. The difference in effect on target between a .357 and .44 is most definitely noticeable. Recoil is subjective. I find the workings of a pistol much more distracting than the kick of a magnum revolver.

Regarding workings, which do we think will work more effectively when jammed into the side of a bear mauling the man holding the handgun? There might be a dozen left in the mag by the time the bear gets on you, but only one is going to fire from a pistol. All will fire from a revolver. It is the same with the backwoods meth cook. You don't get to kill him at 20 yards. He's got to be right on you and your coat might become a factor. This does not hold true if you are LEO or military, but these are the facts for the most of us.

worx53

WKR
Recoil refetsnces....I have a 329pd 44 mag, s&w's scandium 357 6 shot ( model?), and the xdm460....460 recoils the least when comparing the heaviest full house loads ( 180's in that 357 are nasty)...now the 357 is awesome for it's weight and size...easily fits in small kifaru belt pouch alongside gloves& headlamp. we

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jmden

WKR
Have acquaintences who realized they could get more power out of hot 10mm loads with 6" barrels than average .44 ammo from a 3" barreled .44 (due to low velocity from short barreled .44) plus have way more capacity.

Having had multiple wolf encounters myself, the 'wolfpack' scenario is something I consider for a woods gun too. 16 rounds of nearly 900 ft. lbs. power each (more power than much .44 mag ammo) in the 6" G40 is what I've currently arrived at. Stagger loads with heavy expanding bullets and heavy hardcast bullets.

Revolvers are reliable but not infallible...millions of cops/military around the world do not use revolvers on the job. There must be reasons. Many of their encounters are very close.

So I m in the 10 mm camp myself, I own one, compete with it and carry it in the woods and truck daily. I also use a G40 with 6" barrel and I have a 7" for hunting if I so choose.

I run 3 loads period. 180 fmj loads of any make for outlaw steel shoots, Hornady 180 xtp of any make for EDC, DT 200 Hard Cast for the scary stuff.

I like Underwood and DT for my 10 mm I don't reload it because of those two companies.

OK with all that said my 44 revolver took a hike. I replaced it with a carbine 10 shot using 180's to 270 I load all my own, so I agree with that as well.

Also i use a Smith 442 DA only 5 shot for concealed carry. I can shoot though my pockets 5x's if need be or clothes or what ever in a close hand to hand fight. I run 38 special 125 xtp's all the time in it. Because at less than 5' it will put a hurt on and by law someone has to have basically killed you before you can kill them here in the Comie state of NY.

So there you have it 44 carbine, 10 mm and 38 special.

CJ5K

FNG
I have no experience with the 460 Rowland. From what I've heard on other firearms forums, its awesome on paper, but doesn't live up to the hype. I could be wrong, (I'm wrong a lot.)

Im a really big fan of the 10mm though. Ive read two accounts of guys up in Alaska taking down a grizzly (can't recall if they were charging or not) using 180grain JHP ammo at about 1800fps. I think 10mm will do everything i want a handgun to do in the woods, and recoil isn't too awful.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I stopped carrying my 44, too heavy and too expensive to get enough practice with it.

I didn’t get rid of it or anything, just stopped using it for a Woods carry gun. G20 all the way now.