My CA Ridgeline in 300 WM

robie

WKR
I posted this on Broz's forum but thought I would post it here as well in case it helps anyone out with making their next gun purchase.

After following along with what Jeff Broz and others posted about the Ridgeline I decided to take the plunge.

For anyone else shopping 1Shot gives a great deal to forum members and was the best price I could find @$1800. I was lucky and able to switch out the standard muzzle-brake for the slayer for a nominal fee ($20). I'm not sure if they will keep doing that for long but was happy that they did it for me.

I added a 20moa rail, Hardcore Gear Force Recon Rings and Spartan Precision bipod. I re-purposed a my Burris Veracity 5-25x50 scope and took it all out to the range yesterday.

I've read all the expert opinions on is break-in necessary and decided to follow what CA has posted on their website.

My test ammo was the suggested Nosler 180gr accubond, ELDX 200 gr, Cheap Winchester & Barnes 180gr TTSX.

I made two mistakes.

1) I didn't realize how the crush washer worked with the brake and removed it (Brake wasn't set from the factory due to it not being upgrade initially, 1shot caught it and fixed it before shipping it to me. I'm fixing the installation tonight),
2) The rail was only tightened to 20 in/lb and came loose on me at the end of my day of shooting, I'm going to be adding loctite and increasing the torque wrench to 30 in/bl

Before the rail came loose I was able to brake in the gun and put together the following 3 shot group with the Accubonds at 300 yards. The group is ~1.25". I'll correct the rail issue and go back out to make sure I can repeat it.

I was considering a full custom before all the recent reviews of this came up and am very happy with my decision to go CA. I saved about $2k on this setup and other than the exact look I'm would want I'm not sure what else I could get out of a full custom accuracy wise. I get it that a lot of guys love shooting for the sake of shooting and a full custom might make sense, but to me the gun is a tool and my goal was strictly accuracy with the ability to put an elk down at any distance.

I've got a AZ Unit 10 late tag this year and the I've got confidence that this gun will help me get it done at any distance.

IMG_20180602_110616.jpg

20180610_134229.jpg

freshta

WKR
Are those squares on the target 1"? If so, you have better than MOA accuracy. Did you measure center to center or outside to outside?

The ridgeline is a lot of gun for the money! You did good. And from what you’ve shown the thing shoots hells a fire! I wouldn’t mind having one in the same caliber for my moose hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robie

robie

WKR
The ridgeline is a lot of gun for the money! You did good. And from what you’ve shown the thing shoots hells a fire! I wouldn’t mind having one in the same caliber for my moose hunt.

I feel the gun hits an interesting price point. It's an expensive factory gun but if it can continue to shoot that well it's a bargain. Every custom builder I talked to told me their goal is .5 MOA. If I can consistently get between .5-1 MOA with a factory gun I'll consider it a huge win.

Just ordered some more ammo to see what a few different brands will do.

Good luck if you get one. 1Shot was great to work with but did take about 10 weeks to come in.

Last edited:
OP
robie

robie

WKR
Nice shooting and good looking rig.
Are you sticking with the accubonds for your hunt?

It's a great bullet but I want to try a few more and see what is the most consistent now that it is broken in.

I'm going to test 3 shot groups at 200 with the ammo I have and I ordered some HSM with 210 Bergers. I want to try the 215 bergers but I don't hand load and the berger ammo isn't available anywhere I can find.

After that I will stick with whatever the gun likes the best.

nrh6.7

WKR
Ok, I'm a little confused. One pic shows a LH gun and the other a RH. I'm a little excited thinking this might be available in a lefty!

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Story of my life! : ) I did know they were rolling out some lefty versions, but I'm currently holding out for the 300 wm.
I'm sure the long action is coming. But who knows how long.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cdpp880

WKR
Where around Houston are you getting to shoot? I have a ridgline on order right now and am looking for a place I can get past 400.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Where around Houston are you getting to shoot? I have a ridgline on order right now and am looking for a place I can get past 400.

American Shooting Center. You have to qualify at 300 by shooting a 5 shot group inside a 6" circle. Then you can shoot 400 & 600.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Anyone on the fence about a Ridgeline, I'm not sure how much better it can get:

2.5" at 500 yards with factory Berger 215 ammo. I put together a similar group at 600. The worst group of the day being just under 5" at 500.

y14zKhH.jpg

Loco4dux

WKR
I just bought the same exact rifle and caliber, super happy with it so far.