338 federal?

LaGriz

WKR
skaldugwas,
I had my model pre-64 M70 re-bored to 338-06 at JES in Oregon. My smith said the price was very reasonable ($225-250 if I recall) and they turned it around in just over 2 weeks. I would recommend their work 100%. Very happy with the accuracy. Shooting 200 Gr. Nosler factory loads at the moment. Will be making the leap to reloading very soon. I also have .358 Win (almost no ammo options) and a .280 Remington (limited options) that could use some help. Best of luck to you.
LaGriz

TauPhi111

WKR
I know this is a 338 thread, but I'm surprised to see so many 358 shooters here. I thought I was one of the only ones carrying one (Savage with 18" barrel I use for bear in PA).

I digress...back to the 338 Federal

The 358 Win makes sense, to me, if considering the 338 Federal. If one goes one more step up to the 358, the selection of bullets become better suited to it's moderate velocity since most 338's are designed for the 338 Win Magnum velocities. If handloading, I would go 338-06 if reboring a long action. If short action, stick with the underappreciated 308 for medium to long hunting range or embrace the 358 Win for short to medium range.

The 358 Win makes sense, to me, if considering the 338 Federal. If one goes one more step up to the 358, the selection of bullets become better suited to it's moderate velocity since most 338's are designed for the 338 Win Magnum velocities. If handloading, I would go 338-06 if reboring a long action. If short action, stick with the underappreciated 308 for medium to long hunting range or embrace the 358 Win for short to medium range.
Yup, excatly how I landed on my 358 build. I like the 338 and it would be fun to build one just because. I'm totally happy with my 358 and often grab it before any other rifle. I'm fully comfortable out to 400 yards with mine and I truly believe in the great bullets available for the 35 cal. What I love most is std. Cup and core bullets work perfectly at the modest velocities.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a kimber montana barrel in 338 federal that I’m going to screw into my 84m classic select that’s currently a .243. I’ve been looking for brass and see I can choose between starline and federal. Or I could neck up some .308 lapua brass. Anyone have an opinion on the best option? I don’t shoot a .308 so having the wrong headstamp on the brass isn’t really a problem but the 45/70 starline brass I use is pretty good stuff. Price wise it’s all about the same.
I don’t see the point in a monolithic bullet with something this slow. I expect to shoot 210 partitions but I also have some 210 sciroccos to try or I can find some accubonds if needed. In the end I’ll see what the rifle likes and gives reasonable velocity with.

I’ve got a kimber montana barrel in 338 federal that I’m going to screw into my 84m classic select that’s currently a .243. I’ve been looking for brass and see I can choose between starline and federal. Or I could neck up some .308 lapua brass. Anyone have an opinion on the best option? I don’t shoot a .308 so having the wrong headstamp on the brass isn’t really a problem but the 45/70 starline brass I use is pretty good stuff. Price wise it’s all about the same.
I don’t see the point in a monolithic bullet with something this slow. I expect to shoot 210 partitions but I also have some 210 sciroccos to try or I can find some accubonds if needed. In the end I’ll see what the rifle likes and gives reasonable velocity with.

Neither are picky with brass or bullets. I use Starline for my 358 with good results. I actually like Hornady the best because of availability. I was making all mine from 308 federal and that was excellent as well. 338 will do well with all of them.