338 federal?

What is the consensus on the 338fed as a highcountry black bear gun? I’m thinking larger diameter might have a slight edge over 308. I’m not much of a long range shooter, confident out to 300 yards but 400+ feels like shooting at the moon.

I think only savage is making them now, and I believe all their guns are long action, so there wouldn’t huge benefit over my current 30-06 besides extra bullet diameter -which has to account for something right? Right? Slightly bigger wound channel ect?

I’m balls deep into reloading right now so having ammo on hand wouldn’t be an issue and I’m really enjoying working up loads and tinkering around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you reload I'd say go for it. It has always interested me too but I've never taken the plunge. Savage does come in different action lengths so a short action (i.e. 338 fed) will be shorter and lighter than a long action. I've seen some folks claiming very impressive velocities and performance with light monos (Barnes 160 gr IIRC). Another option would be buy any .308 you like and get it rebored. There is a guy out here in OR who I've heard many good things about, JES Reboring. Check out the sticky thread here about the ultra light Kimber .358 to inspire you to spend some $$. All that said, a .308 with good bullets will kill just about anything....within reason

amassi

WKR
I had a sako in 338 federal that would happily push a 210 partition at 2700 fps down its 24.3" tube. Moderate recoil, on par with say a 180 out of an 06'.

It shot unusually well for a 6 1/2 # rifle but really had no place in my stable as I'm a sucker for belted magnums and their associated recoil and weight haha

Before I sold it I tested it on some wild boars and it performed marvelously as a "hog hammer"
I sold it to my neighbor about 5 years ago and he has since smacked many elk and black bears with it. He was so impressed he sold me his 340 weatherby because he no longer felt he needed it. I watched him absolutely pummel a #350~ bear 2 years ago at 200 yards like it had been struck with thors hammer, bang flop. No death moan, no nothing just lights out.

Also, If you like monolithic bullets it shot barnes very well too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
I saw a kimber 84 classic in 338fed at a gun show a few years ago for a song, still regret not buying it.

LaGriz

WKR
Skaldugwas,
"Another option would be buy any .308 you like and get it re-bored. There is a guy out here in OR who I've heard many good things about, JES Re-boring. Check out the sticky thread here about the ultra light Kimber .358 to inspire you to spend some $$. All that said, a .308 with good bullets will kill just about anything....within reason"

+1 on the quality of work performed by JES. They re-bored my M70 from an 30-06 to a 338-06. I also own a .358 Win and I like the round very much. I think you can still find one in a Browning BLR or a Ruger Bolt action. A Savage Light Weight Hunter in .338 Federal would be a fine choice. The availability of factory loads would be a plus for me. Since you already reload, I would think either caliber would be a good match.
Hope you find a deal on the rifle/caliber that is the best fit!

LaGriz

I am a bowhunter for 98% of my big game hunting. That said I like rifles and when a used Kimber Montana .338 Fed came up for sale with dies and components for a good price I bought it. It shoots 160 gr Barnes TTSX bullets very well with a case full of IMR 8208 producing about 3,000 ft-lbs or muzzle energy.

I used it a few times blood trailing bowshot bears. Carries like a dream. Last yr a friend that flew to Northern BC carried it moose hunting and called in and killed his first bull with it. Mine wears a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 with LR dots in Talley low rings. 5#12oz without ammo but including scope and rings. Nice hunting rifle in a great caliber. Makes about the same power as a factory 30-06 or very close to a 7mm Rem Mag.

Great topic! I m a 358 win shooter myself and I personally think its the bee's knees. With that said If it was a 338 federal I d also be very happy. The 338 / 358 are both way underrated cartridges and both work with aplomb on game. I have several whitetail and mule deer with my 358 and i m going to use it on an early august bear hunt this year.

I think the 338 federal is a fantastic option for what your looking for. I woudl think anything in the 180-210 range would be awesome.

I like 200-250 gr in my 358. My current bear load is a Hornady 250 gr round nose running at about 2400 fps. out of my 21" barrel.

VernAK

WKR
I have a Kimber Montana in 338 Federal that I carry to the bait station because of it's very light
weight [5.3 pounds w/scope]. It about compares with your 06 for bear killing.

TauPhi111

WKR
I've also been contemplating this round for a lightweight mountain rifle build for elk, mule deer, bears, etc, but I've been reluctant because there were no good monolithic bullets that had optimal weight for a decent MV from the small case, but also a good BC to keep that velocity. Now we have the 200 grain MTH from Cutting Edge and the 213 Hammer Hunter from Hammer. Anyone handloading those bullets for the 338 Federal? I'm interested to know what kind of ballistics you are getting. I'd probably have a 20-21 inch barrel on my gun.

I've also been contemplating this round for a lightweight mountain rifle build for elk, mule deer, bears, etc, but I've been reluctant because there were no good monolithic bullets that had optimal weight for a decent MV from the small case, but also a good BC to keep that velocity. Now we have the 200 grain MTH from Cutting Edge and the 213 Hammer Hunter from Hammer. Anyone handloading those bullets for the 338 Federal? I'm interested to know what kind of ballistics you are getting. I'd probably have a 20-21 inch barrel on my gun.

Depending on the action manufacture you will have magazine issues with both of those bullets. Also 338 federal is no barn burner. Its better suited to the lighter monolithic bullets. I'd look at the Barnes ttsx in 185 gr with a BC of .432 to be nearly ideal for the .338 federal. IMHO. The virtues of the 338 federal are slightly better than 30-06 performance in a shorter lighter rifle.

Again just my opinion, but the 338 and 358 are two of the same and are both sub 400 yard hunting rigs respectfully utilizing heavier bullets at or slightly above 30-06 power levels.

Friend of mine in Montana carries a NULA chambered in 338 federal with a 1.5x5 Leuply and has no trouble with elk, deer and bear.

Good round for the brush but they start dying off pretty quick out past 200 yards. If you went to a long action I'd recommend a 338-06 but if 90% of your shots are inside 300 and your not shooting past 400 the 338 Federal would be just fine.

For what it is worth, I have two Kimber MT rifles in big game calibers...the .338 Fed and a 7-08 both with Leupold VX2 2x7x33 scopes with the Long Range dot reticules. I load 160 gr Barnes TTSX in the .338 F and 120 gr Barnes TTSX in the 7-08, both in Lapua cases. My load data stuck on the stocks show the .338 Fed is 1.9" high at 100 yds and the 7-08 is 1.5" high (200 yd main cross hair zero). This zero puts the lowest dot in the scope dead on at 390 yds in the Federal and 400 yds with the 7-08.....not the big drop off that many seem to think with the Federal, at least with light monolithic bullets. The Federal makes a lot more energy...about 3,000 ft-#s versus 2,500 Ft-#s for the 7-08 at the muzzle.

Mulga

FNG
Pretty hard to go past the 338-06 if you hand load. I have one on a Sako 75, which pushes 200gr Hornady SST at 2800fps from a 22 7/8 inch barrel. Not a lightweight rig but it puts the brakes on anything I hit. I tested the 225gr Barnes TTSX but I couldn't push them fast enough, terminal performance wasn't what i had hopped, I think I will try the 185gr TTSX next.

View attachment 73651

4IDARCHER

WKR
All this talk on the 338 federal and 358 Win makes me want to go back and buy another dirt cheap Tikka T3 and do a little building on a shorter barreled pig/bear rig.

All this talk on the 338 federal and 358 Win makes me want to go back and buy another dirt cheap Tikka T3 and do a little building on a shorter barreled pig/bear rig.
Yeah I'm thinking that exact thing, well sorta. I think my 358 needs a little brother ... Might be time to build that 338 federal ?!?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cool to see this thread. The 338 federal has been on my mind a lot lately. If savage made the lightweight hunter in it, I would be all over that.

TauPhi111

WKR
Good round for the brush but they start dying off pretty quick out past 200 yards. If you went to a long action I'd recommend a 338-06 but if 90% of your shots are inside 300 and your not shooting past 400 the 338 Federal would be just fine.

I quickly ran the ballistics on Hornady's ballistics calculator with the high BC monos I mentioned earlier and it appears you could actually reach out to 500 yards or so with enough velocity for reliable expansion.

OP
skaldugwas
Another option would be buy any .308 you like and get it rebored. There is a guy out here in OR who I've heard many good things about, JES Reboring. Check out the sticky thread here about the ultra light Kimber .358 to inspire you to spend some $$. All that said, a .308 with good bullets will kill just about anything....within reason

This option is interesting, generally how much does reboring cost?

Could reboring take a mediocre shooter and improve its accuracy?

TauPhi111

WKR
This option is interesting, generally how much does reboring cost?

Could reboring take a mediocre shooter and improve its accuracy?

Reboring costs about as much as a new barrel, depending on the brand you buy. I guess it could be cheaper if you have a taste for really expensive barrels. I've gone both routes with rifles I've built, and I'd say the only reason I'd do a rebore again is if you wanted to preserve the original barrel on a particular rifle. I used Custom Barrel and Gun Works in Prescott AZ. The dude's name is Dan Pendersen. People will tell you he's impossible to get a hold of, and he is, but he does very good work and stands behind it. Google him and check out his site. He details some of the possible pitfalls of doing a rebore. It can turn a barrel with crappy rifling into a shooter if done right.