FNH FNX 45 Tactical - Good Gun? vs G20/21

treillw

WKR
Thinking about the FNX 45 tactical for a woods defense gun for 2 legged (Sasquatch) and 4 legged critters. I'm thinking about putting a 460 Rowland conversion on it. There isn't a whole lot out there about this gun since it is relatively new. Any info you guys could provide is appreciated.

Aftermarket parts seem sparse - is this something that may become more readily available as the years go by? Don't see any aftermarket triggers for them.

Other candidates are the G20 and G21 - Pros = tons of aftermarket, reliable; cons = huge grip & maybe worse trigger

Skyewalker

Lil-Rokslider
G21sf has a slim grip. Plenty aftermarket triggers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FNX is a fabulous pistol. IMO better trigger than Glock with SA option. Points more like a 1911. Look at the velocity and penetration data and consider a 40 Super conversion. I dropped in an EFK barrel, no spring changes and ran flawlessly.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
FNX is a fabulous pistol. IMO better trigger than Glock with SA option. Points more like a 1911. Look at the velocity and penetration data and consider a 40 Super conversion. I dropped in an EFK barrel, no spring changes and ran flawlessly.

40 Super?? Oh boy, another caliber to consider :) Looks pretty cool at first blush. Never heard of it.

Since I assume you have looked at this info a good bit, do you have any suggestions on velocity and penetration data for the round?

I looked on EFK's website and don't see any FNX 40 Super barrels. Any clue if they still make them?

40 Super would be pretty cool, but might be a pain to reload. Is it hard to get them to feed properly or anything with that rifle type case?

I like that the overall gun length with 40 super would be 1.75" shorter than the 460 rowland, since I would think the comp is not required.

I find the bottleneck rounds like 357 Sig and 40 super feed better with less chance of case lip catch since it is rebated. Call EFK...they make runs of them and may have stock. Underwood and Double Tap and probably others have ammo. If you decide to go that route PM your cell number. I have some ammo I would part with.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I find the bottleneck rounds like 357 Sig and 40 super feed better with less chance of case lip catch since it is rebated. Call EFK...they make runs of them and may have stock. Underwood and Double Tap and probably others have ammo. If you decide to go that route PM your cell number. I have some ammo I would part with.

Thanks for the help. What magazines do you have to use? How many rounds can you stuff into them?

Factory stock FN magazines that come with gun. 40 Super is basically a necked down 45 ACP but uses cut down 45 Winchester Magnum cases to get the thick strong case length. Standard round capacity.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had an fun fnp 45 years ago, it seemed cheap and flimsy, hopefullybth it new models are better. There’s never been much aftermarket support for FN pistols mainly because no agencies really use them. In fact at the time I had my FNP the only agency in the USA that was using them was some small 8 person PD in Louisiana and the pistols had been donated to them.

If you like it, get it, FN for me though was the company that made me realize that buying anything other than a Glock when looking for a plastic semi auto was a waste of time.

I had an fun fnp 45 years ago, it seemed cheap and flimsy, hopefullybth it new models are better. There’s never been much aftermarket support for FN pistols mainly because no agencies really use them. In fact at the time I had my FNP the only agency in the USA that was using them was some small 8 person PD in Louisiana and the pistols had been donated to them.

If you like it, get it, FN for me though was the company that made me realize that buying anything other than a Glock when looking for a plastic semi auto was a waste of time.

Wow, second hi-jack I have seen you do in a few days. FN is one of the most well respected gun makers in the world along with HK, Sig etc. Some of us feel Glocks point high and are clunky POS's. Maybe if you can't add something constructive to the gentleman's inquiries then just sleep on it and keep it to yourself.

Skyewalker

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, second hi-jack I have seen you do in a few days. FN is one of the most well respected gun makers in the world along with HK, Sig etc. Some of us feel Glocks point high and are clunky POS's. Maybe if you can't add something constructive to the gentleman's inquiries then just sleep on it and keep it to yourself.

Highjack? He spoke from his experience, directly answering the OPs question. Pretty constructive if you ask me. What you did was a highjack (derailing from OPs question and attacking another member). Maybe it's time to go slap another FN sticker on your truck and reflect on the way you contribute to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

So because my opinion is different than yours it’s a hijack and unconstructive??? I answered the question based on my direct experience with An FN 45. Should I only respond when I have high praise for a product??? Is that what you are suggesting???

wildcat33

WKR
I have an FNX40 and like it a lot. I'm fond of hammer fired guns and I like the DA/SA operation. Its been nothing but reliable, made well, and cost me nearly nothing because 40s&w is so not cool. What is cool is 15 rounds of 180gr buffalo bore.

Around the time i bought it I spent a bit of time behind the fnx45. Also shot great, but its a massive pistol. The only downside in my opinion, but it sounds like you're not opposed to hauling around a hogleg. As far as aftermarket goes, it seems like the 45 has caught on more than 9/40 frame.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If I remember correctly, 2 or 3 years ago, FN had a fiasco replacing a whole run of pistols that wouldn’t fire if the polymer got heated up.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Kinda bummed out. Called EFK Fire Dragon (what a name by the way) and the lady told me that they don't have any 40 super barrels for the FNX and have no plans of making any anytime soon because they sit on the shelf for a year and don't sell. So if anybody wants a barrel - give her a call and let her know so they whip up a batch!

I asked her if they ever made any 460 Rowland barrels and she said that they used to but they stopped. It was really hard on their guns - it would crack the polymer and the people who test fired the guns hated shooting them. I wonder if they were using comps on the guns or not and if they had a buffer. I assume they aren't morons.... but I really can't imagine the recoil from that round being that bad, especially with a comp. Maybe it's just too much for a semi.

slick

WKR
I know this pistol hasn’t been mentioned, but take a look into 45 Super through an HK USP. No mods necessary I don’t think? I think there’s probably a link to a guy in AK who vouched for that over the G20 somewhere on one of these threads.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I know this pistol hasn’t been mentioned, but take a look into 45 Super through an HK USP. No mods necessary I don’t think? I think there’s probably a link to a guy in AK who vouched for that over the G20 somewhere on one of these threads.

That’s right, the usp 45 can shoot 45 super but I believe it’s just the usp, not the compact version and it the HK45, I could be wrong about that but I don’t think so.

Thinking about the FNX 45 tactical .....Other candidates are the G20

I have and carry both. I love my FN FNP-45 Tactical, which is the same as the FNX but with slight magazine differences. I love the way it points and how it has all kinds of grips to allow custom fitting to my hands, which are kinda big. While I have not purchased a suppressor for it, I cannot seem myself using a suppressor a lot with it. The magazines, at 15 capacity, are big and heavy, a slight drawback.

Because the price of the Glock 20 is half that of the FN, I always bring my Glock 20 for self defense while on my hunts. Also, the Glock is lighter and frankly, I believe the 10mm round is better for backcountry self defense. (cue caliber argument in 3...2...1... ;-) )

Hope this info helps. PM me with any other questions if you like.