New 300 win mag suggestions

So right now I have a sako a7 roughtech 300 win mag and I cannot seem to get better than about 1.75 moa at 100 yards with multiple types of factory ammo. That’s all I have access at this point, not reloading. I am wondering what recommendations are for a different rifle in 300 win. So far I am thinking about the Christensen Mesa, browning hells canyon lr, and not sure what else. It’s main purpose is hunting so weight is a concern, probably not more than 8lbs. But would also like something that I can shoot out to some distance. Not wanting to spend over probably $1300. Thanks

Basic x bolt long range stalker is on sale at Cabelas for 749 w/ 100 rebate(browning is fast)

They will shoot. Also recoil is extremely mild with stock pad.

Treat yourself with a fancy glass upgrade or a suppressor with the left over cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
I will have to look at that! I would have no problem with that gun. Just not sure how it compares to the CA. One thing I’m not crazy about on the Mesa is the 24” barrel. Would rather have the 26

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Browning is a good suggestion, the m70 extreme weather is good in 300wm also. Of the original ones you mentioned, I like the Mesa.

Mmcan

WKR
Bergara Premier Series Mountain rifle. Sub MOA (my test target was .6"). 6.4lbs. Its a bit more expensive than what you listed, but this is an amazingly nice rifle, custom quality. I have yet to see a negative comment about it anywhere (except it kicks like a mule, which should come as no surprise). CZ also makes a nice rifle at some great prices. I have the UHR, and it also shoots sub-MOA, and it is a lot more shooter friendly.

Basic x bolt long range stalker is on sale at Cabelas for 749 w/ 100 rebate(browning is fast)

They will shoot. Also recoil is extremely mild with stock pad.

Treat yourself with a fancy glass upgrade or a suppressor with the left over cash

Not a bad price.

I have one of these in 7mag - it shoots damn near anything I feed it into an inch.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Bergara Premier Series Mountain rifle. Sub MOA (my test target was .6"). 6.4lbs. Its a bit more expensive than what you listed, but this is an amazingly nice rifle, custom quality. I have yet to see a negative comment about it anywhere (except it kicks like a mule, which should come as no surprise). CZ also makes a nice rifle at some great prices. I have the UHR, and it also shoots sub-MOA, and it is a lot more shooter friendly.

Thats awesome that you have a UHR, not too many people seem to have those. I was offered one for 1000 bucks a few years ago but passed and I've regretted it ever since.

OP
S
Thanks for the suggestions. I like some of the bergeras but the mountain, as you mentioned is alittle too light i feel. I would like it to be tolerable to sit at the range for a session. The more I can shoot a gun the better I shoot.

SoDaky

WKR
A friends X bolt 300 shoots honest 5 shot groups inside an inch.Slightly better with handloads after trying many recipes.'Honest' is key,talk as always is cheap.

edit to add:Check out 'Go Hunts' videos on MOA and Brownings.

2five7

WKR
+1 on any of the X-bolts. I have 2 and they booth shoot great with seemingly anything you feed them. The HC LR wold be my choice for a do it all rifle.

mtmuley

WKR
Goes under the radar because of internet stuff, but the Remington AWR with the 5r barrel is worth a serious look. mtmuley

Goes under the radar because of internet stuff, but the Remington AWR with the 5r barrel is worth a serious look. mtmuley

I’ve always lusted after these but I’ve never owned a Remington rifle because of the internet fear mongering. Just too many good shooting rifles out there to take a risk on what people say/think is a high risk potential lemon. I want to believe in the AWR, it’s a sweet looking rig.

Mulga

FNG
I would get the Sako bedded or do it your self. Nowdays I don't bother to even fire a new rifle unless its stress free bedded, simply never know how good a rifle can shoot unless it's done and it can never hurt. Trigger and hand loading also help too of course.

mtmuley

WKR
I’ve always lusted after these but I’ve never owned a Remington rifle because of the internet fear mongering. Just too many good shooting rifles out there to take a risk on what people say/think is a high risk potential lemon. I want to believe in the AWR, it’s a sweet looking rig.

Reviews on rifles with the 5r barrel are very good. mtmuley

elkr4me

FNG
I recently purchased a Cooper Backcountry in 300 win...they provide a target with a handload that shot well...dime size group of 3...this particular rifle also shot Nosler ABLR 190 factory load nearly as well and also played with handloads. I am going with Hornady ELD-x 200 grn...got that to shoot fantastic (dime size 100 yard group of 3) with 77.5 grns of RL-25 (an old powder) and a winchester large rifle primer. Cooper's aren't cheap but I am delighted with the rifle fit and finish, the action is delightful and is shooting nice too and its very light to carry. Good luck

I would get the Sako bedded or do it your self. Nowdays I don't bother to even fire a new rifle unless its stress free bedded, simply never know how good a rifle can shoot unless it's done and it can never hurt. Trigger and hand loading also help too of course.

This is sound advice. The sako's, even the budget friendly A7's, have a great reputation of being absolute tack drivers.... It's possible to get a lemon in any make/model but I wouldn't trust any of the aforementioned guns above a sako (not that they're bad suggestions, just that sako's in general shoot far better than the shooter). Personally I'd try to figure out what's going on with your current one first before you spend a bunch of money on a new one. It could be something as minuscule as a bedding issue.

OP
S
I am not dead set on trading, so I think I will see what else I can do to get the accuracy. Thanks for the advice!

Solid plan working on improving the sako. Could be something as simple as a bullet weight adjustment. With factory ammo of course you’re limited but with that cartridge you have a pretty diverse selection of bullets and weights. That gun will shoot, its a Sako.

-Hardcore

Last edited:

Pro953

WKR
What type of ammo are you running? The Sako/Tikka’s run a slower 1-11 twist so which can make some of the heavy or longer loads a bit more difficult. Likely not a issue with off the shelf ammo but worth looking at how it shoots if you move to some lighter ammo.

Also have you looked at the glass? Maybe try and swap another scope on to see if it is a glass issue.

Are they shotgun type groups or how are try presenting?

OP
S
I have tried federal soft point(just to get trigger time) hornady precision hunter, federal trophy bonded, and Barnes ttsx all around 180gr as I have heard that about the slow twist. Maybe I need to just try some heavier bullets. The Barnes was the best, the other 3 shot all over