10mm hardcast or hollow points for deer hunting

WJS23

WKR
Wanted to see what everyone is using for hunting rounds I don’t know if hard cast will be good for deer compared to the hollow points

TauPhi111

WKR
Wanted to see what everyone is using for hunting rounds I don’t know if hard cast will be good for deer compared to the hollow points

I haven't used my 10mm for deer before, but I am going to try it for Ohio's gun season this year, and I will be using either the 155 grain Barnes XP from Double Tap or Buffalo Bore, or the 150 grain Lehigh Xtreme Defender from Underwood. I'm sure any quality hollow point in the 150-180 grain range loaded hot will work wonderfully on deer. I'd leave the heavy hard cast for bear defense use.

jmden

WKR
Have an acquaintance with 200g hardcast doing 1400 fps that hit a doe broadside with a double lung shot. Caliber entrance and exit and took a long time to die as he tried to get another shot on her. Might do better if you hit the shoulder, or it could just be an anomaly. He went to 200g XTPs for that purpose, but I don't recall hearing if he'd shot a deer with those. For woods carry, not specifically deer hunting, I stagger the 200g DoubleTap hardcast bullet with 200g XTP--each doing nearly 1400fps out of a G40 with KKM barrel.

OP
WJS23

WJS23

WKR
I picked up Buffalo Bore 180 hollow points and I was going to order some 200 from them as well. The 180 shot well out of my 220 hunter

Never taken deer with a 10mm but from reading, folks that do like either hardcast or a tough expanding bullet like a 180 XTP. The same usually get good results on black bear.

jmden

WKR
For deer, I would use a heavy for caliber 10mm bullet like the 200g XTP or other similar weight bullet pushed to 1300+ fps.

Alternatively, that Lehigh Defense Extreme Defense or possibly Extreme Penetrator sure seem to show some promise as both tremendous tissue upset with great penetration. Their bullets tend to be lighter weights due to the all copper construction. If you made a 200g all copper 10mm bullet it would end up being much longer than a 200g hardcast bullet, for instance. So, their MVs are high, but they just adjust their one of a kind meplat for those higher velocities. Their heaviest 10mm bullet is 150g if I'm looking at it correctly: .400 Xtreme Defense(R)150gr Bullet – Lehigh Defense, LLC Might not be a bad combo of hunting/penetration woods carry type bullet. Some pretty interesting videos with their bullets...

howl

WKR
Hardcast is meant for breaking bones, not leaving blood trails. They kill deer fine, it's just that finding the deer that is occasionally worrisome. If you're not going to break the shoulders, make sure your vitals shot is on the low side so the blood comes out more easily. Tracking down a high lung shot deer, found with a chest full of blood that did not make it out onto the ground, is a hassle.

The only reason I would use hard cast is if you're in brown bear country or recoil sensitive. Hard casts bullet take much less powder to get full penetration. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 9mm hard cast zip through a deer chest. I just wouldn't want to the be the one who had to find it afterward.

I think you're on on the right track with the Buffalo Bore hollowpoints. An awful lot of deer have been taken with the .357 mag version of that.

OP
WJS23

WJS23

WKR
Thanks you guys for the info I’m going to grab some 200 grain xtps and more 180 xtps ams see how they shoot I will update this thread as the season goes on

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I like two leak holes on low power rounds..handgun or rifle. I vote for hardcast. Has worked well on the deer and bear I have killed with a 44.

I shoot 220 grain hp's out of my Ruger .44 mag carbine on deer here in Wisconsin and they've worked really well.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk