Backcountry 12fv build

I made out like a bandit with a Black Friday 12fv that's still sitting in the box. I've got a more intense long range custom build going and the backcountry rifle thread made me wonder if this is what I should do with this action!

Does anyone know how much the receiver weighs? Is it too heavy really to be a good candidate for this from the start?

Currently thinking I could do:
McMillan edge (they claim 22ish ounces).. Any more affordable ultralight stocks? Could I sand the factory stock to remove the wide bottom and it not look like trash?

Keep the internal box mag for weight savings

Maybe a 18 or 20 inch prefit barrel in a light contour.

Think this would get me around 6 pounds rifle weight before optics? Or close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo117

WKR
I've got a Savage model 16 Lightweight Hunter in .308. It weighs about 5.8 pounds bare. The synthetic stock weighs about 28 ounces, which means the barreled action weighs about 64.

Other than the McMillan Hunter's Edge stock, there's Stockade stocks. Stockade has a stock that's around 28 ounces. I've seen a thread on this forum or another stating the McMillan stocks require an insert for the Savage action to fit. Which adds weight, making the McMillan stock weigh more than 22 ounces.

With a lightweight barrel and a Stockade or McMillan stock, you can get very close to 6 pounds. However, there are lighter actions to use for a rifle build. Tikka and Remington actions have less metal than Savage actions.

My suggestion is to take your 12FV action, a Stockade stock, and a number 2 or 3 profile pre-fit Shilen or Criterion barrel, and PTG barrel nut and recoil lug. Buy a barrel nut wrench and a go no-go guage from NSS. Buy some bedding compound. Put the whole thing together yourself.

If you can't tell, I've thought about a lightweight Savage rifle before.

Apollo117

WKR
Sorry, realized I didn't answer your questions with my previous post.

No, I don't think the Savage action is too heavy. Yes, there are more affordable lightweight stocks than McMillan. Stockade is an option. I imagine the Savage receiver is between 24 and 32 ounces. Big window, but I haven't weighed mine so I can't tell you. Good idea with the light contour pre-fit. I think you can get very close to 6 pounds or less before optics.

FURMAN

WKR
A short action accutrigger Savage small shank weighs 31oz. The magazine box and follower(not DBM) weighs 1.8 oz. The metal trigger guard weighs 2 oz. If you want a light weight Savage I would start with a lightweight hunter for slightly more money.

TauPhi111

WKR
I've built a few custom savages and I can concur that the one downfall of the savage action in the custom world is that there are not many options for affordable lightweight stocks. I have used both criterion and shilen barrels and you won't go wrong with either. There is one caveat...for some reason, shilen will not make a savage prefit barrel in a sporter weight in anything bigger than 7mm. Last time I asked about that they claim there is not enough wall thickness to be safe. Idk but it seems like lawyer talk to me, but nonetheless if you're thinking 30 cal or up, you'll get a heavy sporter contour that'll add weight. Criterion seems to have no qualms about making a sporter contour barrel in anything up to 338. You can order the barrel and nearly everything else for the acton build via NSS. They're good to work with

OP
DangerRanger
Hmm sucks that there aren't many options. I'll look into the stockade offerings.

If NSS would thread a spotter barrel id imagine a 16-18 in 308 barrel would be pretty darn light.

Lol mostly just trying to find a purpose for this action, seemed like a niche I don't have and I like projects

TauPhi111

WKR
Hmm sucks that there aren't many options. I'll look into the stockade offerings.

If NSS would thread a spotter barrel id imagine a 16-18 in 308 barrel would be pretty darn light.

Lol mostly just trying to find a purpose for this action, seemed like a niche I don't have and I like projects

I'm pretty sure they'll thread it if there is enough material at the end. NSS will ask you the thread OD and TPI, and the length of the thread. I think the most common 30 cal thread is 5/8x20, but depending on what the muzzle diameter is you might have to step down to 9/16 which is much less common for muzzle devices. My next build is going to be a lightweight mountain rifle and I'm very likely going to go Criterion on a Remington or Tikka action in 308, 338 Federal, or 284 Win. Still debating on the cartridge.

I have no experience with the stockade stocks, but they look nice. Definitely more of a custom look than the McMillan Edge, which I think looks kinda generic. I'd just check the weight depending how light your goal is. There might be a few other custom makers out there who will make you one, but at a much higher price.

satchamo

WKR
Let me know what direction you go with this build! I too have a 12fv waiting for something to be done to it and I was considering going this direction with it as well. I was leaning towards a 7-08 but stock options aren't the best if you want light... I think stockade is about your only option.

OP
DangerRanger
Looking like it must be the stockade hunting sporter that is the lightest... I don't see any weight listed on their website. Price is pretty sweet.

Apollo117

WKR
Looking like it must be the stockade hunting sporter that is the lightest... I don't see any weight listed on their website. Price is pretty sweet.

I've seen in more than one thread that the weight of the Hunter is about 28 ounces. I wonder if Stockade would remove material for a larger barrel channel. Could possibly bring the weight down a few more ounces.

Not being the hater it may "read"

But what's the upside of this project??

If you were after a niche caliber or a twist rate not found in factory rifles I get it.

But dropping 350+ on barrel and 600$ on a stock doesn't make a lot of sense to build a relatively piggy and clunky savage in pedestrian 308

If the guns worth 400$ you could take that 1000$ in barrel, wrenches, epoxy, paint and stock... and be 75$ short of a Barrett fieldcraft..

OP
DangerRanger
Not being the hater it may "read"

But what's the upside of this project??

If you were after a niche caliber or a twist rate not found in factory rifles I get it.

But dropping 350+ on barrel and 600$ on a stock doesn't make a lot of sense to build a relatively piggy and clunky savage in pedestrian 308

If the guns worth 400$ you could take that 1000$ in barrel, wrenches, epoxy, paint and stock... and be 75$ short of a Barrett fieldcraft..

I understand, I've got a rifle I never use that excels at home builds and I like to tinker.

I think more than wanting a light rifle, I want to build one. So, I was asking if I could build a light rifle.

Fatcamp

WKR
Interesting. I have a Stevens 200 in .308 and a Boyd's Pro-varmint stock.

Eventually I will do the work required to make a complete rifle out of them.

7mm-08 was my thought as well.

I was in a similar boat as the OP, except mine was a new unbarreled action. The price was right (free) so I figured I'd do something cool with it. My first thought was lightweight... but one reading on the scale, as others have mentioned, changed all that. Just the action and bolt weigh 2lbs., that's before any bottom metal, DBM or trigger guards. For the money, I think this one would be better as a mid to heavy weight target/stationary rifle thats a breeze to shoot.

Apollo117

WKR
I was in a similar boat as the OP, except mine was a new unbarreled action. The price was right (free) so I figured I'd do something cool with it. My first thought was lightweight... but one reading on the scale, as others have mentioned, changed all that. Just the action and bolt weigh 2lbs., that's before any bottom metal, DBM or trigger guards. For the money, I think this one would be better as a mid to heavy weight target/stationary rifle thats a breeze to shoot.
As much as I love my Savage rifles, I have to agree with JollyRoger. It's an uphill battle trying to make a Savage action lightweight. It can be done, but there is just a much better after market for model 700's and even Tikkas.

Even the best most attractive part of Savage rifles, DIY barrel swaps via barrel nut, can be applied to Remington actions. Research Remage barrel nut for more info.

I'm trying to do my own lightweight rifle build and and looking at a Remington 700 long action, Wildcat stock, Remage barrel nut system, and a Shilen pre-fit in .280 AI.

OP
DangerRanger
Thanks for all the suggestions, that Barrett Fieldcraft looks pretty sweet... I would like the Kimber ultralights but seems like they are a little finicky.

Anyone weighed a 16 or 18 inch threaded sporter barrel?

TauPhi111

WKR
If you're into the long range game at all, that action would be a sweet candidate for a long range precision rifle. You can even swap out the bolt head to a magnum head if you want to shoot a short action magnum round.

OP
DangerRanger
I've got a full on long range build with a Curtis Custom Vector in the works. That had been the plan for this rifle until I said screw it and started a dream build.

Might see if I can trade it for a t3 at this point. Looking like there's at least a pound of weight in stock and action I'll never get back with the savage options. Still trying though, trading firearms is a total pain in the rear

12fv is a 400$ rifle

Tikka is now a 750$ rifle. Don't see that trade happenin. If you do, quit ur day job and start selling penny stocks.

Just put a swfa 6x on it and go hunting. Perfect gun to run as a plains game with a better caliber i.e. 243 or the like. Should be able to find a takeoff barrel cheap as chips.

Even tikkas are midweight rifles.

OP
DangerRanger
12fv is a 400$ rifle

Tikka is now a 750$ rifle. Don't see that trade happenin. If you do, quit ur day job and start selling penny stocks.

Just put a swfa 6x on it and go hunting. Perfect gun to run as a plains game with a better caliber i.e. 243 or the like. Should be able to find a takeoff barrel cheap as chips.

Even tikkas are midweight rifles.

I meant trade + not even... though i've done trades that lopsided before. As far as Tikkas not being light i was meaning using that platform for a home build for better options instead of this platform. That Barrett Fieldcraft does look like a sweet piece.