X bolt pro issues

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
I wouldn't be surprised if you get the gun back with a 100 yard test target of less than 1" for 3 shots. I don't know of any other off the shelf guns that off sub moa accurcy guarantee at anything other than 100 yards, too many factors at play beyond that.

No but plenty of companies have a sub-moa guarantee at 100 yards, especially at a 2k price point. Browning have said they are happy with a 1-1/2 moa group at 100 yards. I personally think that's ridiculous, especially for their top tier gun.

wildcat33

WKR
Plenty of good options out there for 2k. Another vote here for "Sell and Move On". As the old saying goes; cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

2five7

WKR
No but plenty of companies have a sub-moa guarantee at 100 yards, especially at a 2k price point. Browning have said they are happy with a 1-1/2 moa group at 100 yards. I personally think that's ridiculous, especially for their top tier gun.

Tough to say what it will do at 100, if I remember you only shot at 200 or farther?

Are you using a lead-sled because you are recoil sensitive? That could be a factor when shooting a .300 Mag. Ditch the lead-sled, and use sandbags. Maybe have someone else shoot it also. I would see how it groups at 100, then go from there. If you are looking for a 200 yard zero, then sight-in so your 100 yard group is 1.5 to 2 inches high. As others have said, 200 yards leaves too many variables. After getting a decent group at 100, then move the target to 200 and see where it hits. Also, take your time between shots, allowing time for the barrel to cool.

Last edited:

howl

WKR
Browning does not offer a warranty. That's kind of the problem. You get all kinds of BS because they won't to commit to standards and a process for fear they'll be liable.

What does the store that sold you the rifle say about it? Can they return the lemon?

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
UPDATE: Its has been over a month. I called Browning. They couldn't tell me anything about the rifle. He couldn't tell me if anybody had even looked at it yet. Just that it had been shipped to Utah. I believe the exact quote was: "Just give us the time we need, you'll be happy in the end."

Rs3003

WKR
I’v been following this. I own several Brownings. I hope it all works out for OP.

I had issues with my browning x bolt. While they weren’t on the same level with you i feel your pain.

I bought a x bolt varmint special 308 and the laminated stock split. Browning wouldn’t help me either and at that time not very many after market companies sold custom stocks. So it sat in the safe for 3 years until the hells canyon became popular and McMillian released their line of stocks for that model and i ordered one.

Hope it works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwy1strat

WKR
Sorry to hear about this. My bolt has been one of the best rifles I have ever owned and has shot everything I've ever fed it sub MOA. I was thinking of adding another bolt to the safe but this concerns me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
UPDATE: Its has been over a month. I called Browning. They couldn't tell me anything about the rifle. He couldn't tell me if anybody had even looked at it yet. Just that it had been shipped to Utah. I believe the exact quote was: "Just give us the time we need, you'll be happy in the end."

Ridiculous. But a 3000 dollar rifle and don’t even get to enjoy it.

Browning sure doesn't seem to have their poop together for such a big brand.

I ordered a different stock for my xbolt from them once and was surprised that there wasn't a way to order parts online. I had to call in an order with a credit card.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
I have an older a bolt in 7mm that i love. Its been an outstanding rifle. Thats why I thought the x bolt was an easy choice. Maybe i just got a lemon. Its their customer service thats so frustrating. They won’t tell me any details at all “to avoid lawsuits”. And I cannot imagine why they had me send it to missouri, only to then ship it to utah because they don’t have a range in missouri? One of the largest rifle manufacturers in the country doesn’t have a range at their main service facility? Plus the fact that they told me 1.5 moa was acceptable to them. I don’t have high hopes. It would take a lot to make me keep this rifle. I am seriously considering ordering a nosler longe range carbon.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an older a bolt in 7mm that i love. Its been an outstanding rifle. Thats why I thought the x bolt was an easy choice. Maybe i just got a lemon. Its their customer service thats so frustrating. They won’t tell me any details at all “to avoid lawsuits”. And I cannot imagine why they had me send it to missouri, only to then ship it to utah because they don’t have a range in missouri? One of the largest rifle manufacturers in the country doesn’t have a range at their main service facility? Plus the fact that they told me 1.5 moa was acceptable to them. I don’t have high hopes. It would take a lot to make me keep this rifle. I am seriously considering ordering a nosler longe range carbon.

I got a brand new Ruger revolver once that was all F’ed up once, it was terrible, took marks everywhere, big gaps in the fitting all over the place, big cuts into the hammer where they cut too deep while cutting it from the stock, it was ridiculous. I sent it in only to have it sent back with a note basically saying “don’t worry, it shoots fine”.....I wasn’t happy with that response for a 900 dollar revolver. I went back and forth with them for a few weeks only to end up just selling it as a huge loss as they wouldn’t take it back and exchange or refund it.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
I got a brand new Ruger revolver once that was all F’ed up once, it was terrible, took marks everywhere, big gaps in the fitting all over the place, big cuts into the hammer where they cut too deep while cutting it from the stock, it was ridiculous. I sent it in only to have it sent back with a note basically saying “don’t worry, it shoots fine”.....I wasn’t happy with that response for a 900 dollar revolver. I went back and forth with them for a few weeks only to end up just selling it as a huge loss as they wouldn’t take it back and exchange or refund it.

So frustrating. You’d think large companies like that would have the resources to devote to some customer satisfaction. Especially for their higher end firearms.

I emailed browning on Monday as well, thinking i might get through to someone new. I explained the situation and how frustrating it was to buy a new top tier rifle and have these kinds of issues and be completely kept in the dark about the situation. No response.

WKR
Had quite a few rifle issues that were actually scope issues. And Leupold ain't exactly carrying a sterling report card these days.....

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
Update: after almost two months i got the gun back from browning. There was no correspondence with the gun explaining what they had done. There was a target with three, 3 shot groups that barely averaged under 1 moa at 100 yards. For some reason they wrapped the bolt with packaging tape so it was sticky and dirty when i got it. There was also some kind of material in the bore. I have pictures but i dont know how to post them here. I have sold the gun. I’ll never buy browning again. The service was terrible and the performance didn’t match the price. I’ve since bought a nosler that is shooting great.