X bolt pro issues

irf1983

FNG
There doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews of the x bolt pro out there so I figured I'd give my two cents

A couple months back I picked up a pro in 300 win mag. I had been drooling over this gun for awhile so I was pretty excited. First thing I had to do was adjust the trigger down from the insane 4+ lbs they set it at. Unfortunately while doing so one of the tabs that holds the trigger group in snapped. It is the same trigger group used in all x bolts, but it was pretty disappointing to see the cast metal break so easily. So I had to order a new trigger group from browning.

Fast forward a couple weeks, I get the new trigger in and I'm ready to mount a scope. I got talley lightweight rings for the VX6-HD i wanted to put on it. Get the rear base mounted just fine, but on the front base one of the forward threads stripped out under a 15 in/lb torque wrench. Those holes overlap where the barrel goes into the action, so there are only a couple threads to catch. So I had to send it back to browning. I was concerned there was an issue with heat treating since the threads warped under such light torque. I included a letter with the rifle asking to be contacted about what they find, and at customer service's request i include the scope rings so they can check them over and install them.

A couple weeks go by and I check the status online and see that they are about to ship it back to me. I call customer service to ask what they did to the rifle, and I am told in no uncertain terms that they do not divulge what they do to your rifles. I ask to speak to the gunsmith. No, the gunsmiths have it in their union contract that they will not speak to customers. So I just have to wait and see what they did when I get the gun back. I called back to ask that they at least leave the scope rings off so i can see what they did to the threads. The SAME guy I just talked to looks up my case number, and proceeds to tell me everything they just did to my gun. I ask why he couldn't tell me that five minutes ago and he lectures me about how I didn't tell him it was just a matter of stripped threads and how in the future I should give him more information. So I guess it's my fault he didn't take the time to actually look up my case number on the first call. Apparently all they did was run a tap through to straighten the threads out and there is no heat treating problems. When I asked him why the threads would warp under 15 in/lbs, he says I should never use torque wrenches and that instead i should just loctite it and tighten it until i feel some resistance. I'm certainly not an expert, but I feel like treated stainless steel should be able to withstand that small amount of torque.

A week later I get the gun back, gingerly install the base and scope, and take it to the range. I have now been through six different kinds of high end ammo trying 155, 165, 180, and 200 grain bullets and I cannot get below a 3 inch group at 200 yards from a lead sled. I have checked the scope and its all secure. I write customer service asking for ammo recommendations, but they will not endorse a certain brand and won't even suggest a grain weight. They want me to send it back again so they can test fire it. Of course they won't be able to tell me what they find or do to the gun, but said they would send it back with the targets they used.

So that's where I'm at right now. I have one more type of ammo I want to put through it before I send it back but I don't have high hopes. I understand each rifle shoots differently and some trial and error is required to find the best ammunition, but I really expected better from a 2000$ rifle. I have previously been shooting an old a bolt in 7mm that is a tack driver, so I had high expectations for the x bolt pro. Maybe it's just a lemon, or maybe their QC has gone down. Either way it's very disappointing and Browning customer service hasn't been reassuring. I'm not really expecting much from them when I send the rifle back. Not sure whether I should lay on the honey or vinegar with them to get the best results.

I will keep this updated with brownings response. Until then I'm looking real hard at a CA Ridgeline or maybe a Fierce. Something in that price bracket that will hopefully do better than the Pro.

Apollo117

WKR
Following. I've never owned a Browning, but I want to follow along with your customer service experience. Interested to see if Browning fixes the issue.

Jet-Tac

FNG
Following for sure as I'm in the market and was looking at the X-bolts. Hopefully its just a fluke something and it gets straightened out for you.

2five7

WKR
Sounds like you got a lemon, sucks big time to spend that much in a rifle and have those issues. But, it doesn't happen every once in a while, even on high end rifles, scopes, binos, sports cars, you name it.

I have two hells canyon xbolts and they both shoot lights out with anything I've fed them.

Do you have another scope you can try before shipping back?

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
I would have to take the scope off another rifle but maybe its worth it. Its a brand new scope too....hopefully i dont have two lemons on my hands

LightFoot

WKR
Hope this works out for you. I had a good experience with the HC, but I agree with the previous post: don't waste anymore time or money and move on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sounds like a problem with Browning Customer Service AND with the rifle. I would get active on their social media (IG, facebook, etc)--- the squeaky wheel will get the grease in this case. Just be matter of fact like you were in this post and I bet they will quickly get on making things right. The x-bolt series has to be one of their biggest money makers so they can't afford to 1. have a lemon out and 2. to have crappy customer service which will do in their reputation.

WIWapiti

FNG
That is disheartening to hear. I've never owned a Browning and was looking into the Hells Canyon series. Have always heard great things about the X bolts.

I have two x bolts I bought recently and they both shoot lights out with pretty much anything. With that said, things happen. I just hope Browning makes it right for you.

Evergreen

WKR
Following also, I have two x bolts that both shoot sub MOA. Want to know Browning did you right or not!

amassi

WKR
Bummer about the stripped threads, and broken trigger tabs.
The "customer service" rep sounds like a college kid with a summer job.

What's your round count at?
Did you break in the barrel or just shoot?
Are these 1.5 moa groups through a clean or fouled barrel?
Does the lead sled contact the barrel via strap(harmonics)?
Is the barrel free floated? Any pressure pts?
After trigger repair, were the action screws properly torqued?

Personally, I've never shot well off a lead sled, no mechanics inconsistent recoil etc.
Have you tried bags? Bipod and rear bag?
Why 200 yards? Miroku/baco will likely be more Interested at 100.

If you don't reload I'd grab a couple same grain(180 for argument sake) loads and shoot them at 100 through a seasoned and fouled barrel.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
Update:
I spoke to Browning again and described my issues. They wouldn't give me an MOA guarantee but said that my groups were way outside of what they deem acceptable and that I should definitely send it in. He said they may have to re lap the barrel. Frankly I think they should just replace it if it isn't shooting to their standards. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs but I think at that price point from a company the size of Browning, you should be getting a new gun, not a defective one that had to be fixed. I sent the rifle back with photos of my groups and the ammunition used. I will update with their response.

As far as the lead sled; I've never had an issue zeroing rifles with it before, but given all the comments I'm going to get a rear bag and try that next time. I am shooting at 200 because that's where i want to zero the rifle.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I took the talley LW rings off my stainless stalker xbolt today and I can see where there could be a problem.

1 - there is not much material for the front 2 bolts.
2 - the barrel tennon is very close, so bolts can easily bottom out on barrel before there is enough tension on the bases unless they are cut to the perfect length. It's possible this contributed to both stripping your threads and accuracy issues. If your base mounting hardware is making contact with your barrel it can mess with accuracy and also damage barrel tennon threads.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
UPDATE:

Browning has had my x-bolt pro for about a week now. I called to check on the progress and here is the situation; customer service had me send my rifle to Missouri, but for some reason they don't have a rifle range at their main service center?? So they had to ship it to Utah for test firing. If they had just told me to ship it to Utah I could have saved several days of transit time.
I asked the guy what Browning thinks is an acceptable group. After lots of rambling about external conditions and factory loads and having to prod him several time he finally told me that they would be happy with an 1-1/2' group at 100 yards.....from a $2000.00 rifle. Which means my 3' groups at 200 yards would be just fine by Browning standards.
I am so disappointed with Browning and this rifle. I can't imagine what they are thinking selling a rifle at this price point when many competitors are offering sub-moa guarantees for the same money.
So for now I just get to wait, he told me it would probably be another week before they fire it, then they have to ship it back to missouri if any work is needed. I have pretty much written off using this gun for this season. Waste of time and money so far....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What's your round count at?
Did you break in the barrel or just shoot?
Are these 1.5 moa groups through a clean or fouled barrel?

Good points. I have an A-bolt that absolutely HATES a clean barrel......like 3" at 100 with the clean barrel. But after 30 rounds or so, it's back to one-hole three-shot groups.

2five7

WKR
I wouldn't be surprised if you get the gun back with a 100 yard test target of less than 1" for 3 shots. I don't know of any other off the shelf guns that off sub moa accurcy guarantee at anything other than 100 yards, too many factors at play beyond that.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
Good points. I have an A-bolt that absolutely HATES a clean barrel......like 3" at 100 with the clean barrel. But after 30 rounds or so, it's back to one-hole three-shot groups.

Probably about 50 rounds. I was told the barrel does not need breaking in. fouled barrel.