Christensen or Montana

irf1983

FNG
If i end up selling my x bolt pro, im trying to decide between a CA ridgeline and the Montana CBE. Any opinions from anyone with these guns would be great. Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d buy a Christensen over a Montana and it’s not even close.

The Montana is heavy and there are lots of reports about bad customer service, my friend had an x2 and it was a nightmare for him, accuracy issues from the start.

FURMAN

WKR
The accuracy of the newer Christensens is well documented at this point. The only other rifle I would consider in that price range would be a Fierce Fury.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
If i end up selling my x bolt pro, im trying to decide between a CA ridgeline and the Montana CBE. Any opinions from anyone with these guns would be great. Thanks!

I haven't used a Montana. I've shot and loaded for a few Ridgelines and I'm a big fan. They are loaded with great features and very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
Thanks everyone for the advice. Sounds like the Montana is out. How about the ridgeline vs the fierce edge?

FURMAN

WKR
Thanks everyone for the advice. Sounds like the Montana is out. How about the ridgeline vs the fierce edge?

I’d take the Fierce. It’s better in every way except price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tom338

FNG
I have Ridgeline in a 7mm rem mag. It shoots very good with my hand loads. It will very easily shoot 1/2 inch groups with my loads. Was easy to find a load. It does seem that it likes to be cleaned a little more than my other rifles. Would I buy another, yes

I’d take the Fierce. It’s better in every way except price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

X's 2....

I don't have a dog in this fight. Have experience with both and while both are nice IMO the fierce is a better gun. Nothing at all wrong with the ridgeline but between the two I'd take the fierce every day.

but in theory it's more money so it should be the better gun

slowelk

WKR
Seems like your decision is already made, but I like to share my experience with MRC: I actually had a relatively quick turnaround on my X2, about 22 weeks, received it October 2015, so it didn't hunt that year, but the next spring I start shooting it, put around 100 rounds through it with no consistent groups through that span. I decide to take it apart and I immediately noticed significant wearing on the stock from barrel rub, and it's immediately noticeable that the "bedding" is minimal (only at the front and rear of the action) and uneven, and the barrel is obviously not free-floated. After no help from MRC, I decided I still wanted this thing to shoot, so I brought it to a local gun smith and what he had to say was worse than I initially thought - according to him the trigger guard screws were bent and unevenly bored, the bedding was a "poor attempt", the crowning looked to be done by dull tools, and in general all of the factory tolerances were unacceptable. I had him rebuild it, only keeping the action and the stock, and significantly rebuilt the trigger - it shoots like a $1k rifle should, now that I have $2k into it. I sent a bill to MRC just for fun.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
Wow, that story about MRC makes my head hurt. How frustrating! Thanks everyone for the responses. I have definitely ruled out MRC. It’s down to the fierce and the CA now. I have heard mixed reviews about fierce customer service, but i think i also prefer the action and detachable magazine over a ridgeline.

skierhs

WKR
Since your looking at the Fierce would you be looking to go up in price at all with CA? I personally just got the CA MPR in 338 and the thing is awesome. I am taking it out to shoot today but the build quality so far is top notch. It would still save you a few hunded, give you the detachable mag and even has a folding stock wich is super convienent for mountain hunting i think.

FURMAN

WKR
What cartridge? As stated SW is having a sale on the Edge in 300WM and 6.5CM. The Christensens are very accurate(I have done load development on three and just purchased another) but the Fierce will be just as accurate with a much nicer action. The Fierce has some very nice features action wise but the real difference is in the smoothness of the bolt cycle and chambering a round from the magazine. Christensens have horrible action timing and I can not stand the cock on close. You may never notice if you have not been around a properly timed action. The timing on the Fierce is near perfect.

Muttly

WKR
I have this irrational fear that some day a Fierce is gonna have me tryna 'splain to my wife why I had to go out and get another gun...
Ain't always easy being a member in good standing of the " Just one more gun.." club..

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Seems like your decision is already made, but I like to share my experience with MRC: I actually had a relatively quick turnaround on my X2, about 22 weeks, received it October 2015, so it didn't hunt that year, but the next spring I start shooting it, put around 100 rounds through it with no consistent groups through that span. I decide to take it apart and I immediately noticed significant wearing on the stock from barrel rub, and it's immediately noticeable that the "bedding" is minimal (only at the front and rear of the action) and uneven, and the barrel is obviously not free-floated. After no help from MRC, I decided I still wanted this thing to shoot, so I brought it to a local gun smith and what he had to say was worse than I initially thought - according to him the trigger guard screws were bent and unevenly bored, the bedding was a "poor attempt", the crowning looked to be done by dull tools, and in general all of the factory tolerances were unacceptable. I had him rebuild it, only keeping the action and the stock, and significantly rebuilt the trigger - it shoots like a $1k rifle should, now that I have $2k into it. I sent a bill to MRC just for fun.

This isn’t that different than what my friend experienced with his Montana x2. A couple of years ago, I wanted to get an all around 30-06 as sort of a back up or moose rifle, just something that would be good for anything if I needed it since I didn’t have an 06 at the time.

I went back and forth between the x2 and a m70 extrememe weather. I was set on the x2 but then I couldn’t find one in 06 so I went with the m70, my buddy did end up getting an x2 and I was really jealous until he tried using his and had similar issues as you had, I’m so glad I just went with the Winchester instead of the Montana.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
Since your looking at the Fierce would you be looking to go up in price at all with CA? I personally just got the CA MPR in 338 and the thing is awesome. I am taking it out to shoot today but the build quality so far is top notch. It would still save you a few hunded, give you the detachable mag and even has a folding stock wich is super convienent for mountain hunting i think.
I hadn’t considered it before but they are nice looking rifles. I’m generally not a big fan of real tactical looking guns but it does serve a purpose in this case. Thanks for the suggestion!