Setting Gun up to Shoot 6-700 yards

OP
R

ruchtir

FNG
If it were me, I would sell the 300 RUM and buy a good 300 Win mag, if a 300 is what you want. The 300 WM will be capable of shooting / killing way farther than your abilities, it has less recoil than a 300 RUM, ammo is WAY more available and less expensive, barrel life is WAY better, reloading components are much more readily available, etc, etc. Just something to think about.

I'm considering it. I got the 300 for a good deal and figured I would use it out west someday. Some outfitters recommend a 300 minimum for aoudad so I figured this would fit the bill aswell.

I'm considering it. I got the 300 for a good deal and figured I would use it out west someday. Some outfitters recommend a 300 minimum for aoudad so I figured this would fit the bill aswell.
a
The easy way to address the equipment issues would be to just buy a custom gun. I have a 300 win mag from RBros. They took care of all of the things needed to make it shoot. Before they sent it to me, they had it set up, and it consistently shot 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. They did all the ammunition testing as well.

Nice thing about this, is that you know the gun shoots well, and when you are practicing, you can focus on your own skills rather than wondering if it's the fault of the rifle.

Rifles Ready To Go – R Bros Custom Rifles | Hunting Competition Tactical Rifles

LaHunter

WKR
same could be said about the 243.....

And most other calibers too. I made my recommendations with the statement 'if a 300 is what you want'. Also, in the OP, he states that a mountain goat hunt may be in his future, so a 243 would probably not be a great choice for that.

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
a
The easy way to address the equipment issues would be to just buy a custom gun. I have a 300 win mag from RBros. They took care of all of the things needed to make it shoot. Before they sent it to me, they had it set up, and it consistently shot 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. They did all the ammunition testing as well.

Nice thing about this, is that you know the gun shoots well, and when you are practicing, you can focus on your own skills rather than wondering if it's the fault of the rifle.

Rifles Ready To Go – R Bros Custom Rifles | Hunting Competition Tactical Rifles

I just picked up my RBros 300 win mag. this last week. I'm excited to see how it shoots for myself.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some outfitters recommend a 300 minimum for aoudad so I figured this would fit the bill aswell.

Outfitters recommend more cal than needed to deal with sloppy hunters seems to be my impression. Yes when talking true long range hunting then there are definite merits to 300s and larger but folks need to know what they're doing to make use of it. Buddy of mine got scoffed at bringing a 7-08 on an elk hunt, guides made alotta comments while folks were staging up for the hunt... Guess who's elk dropped where it should when he made a shot at a range suitable for his caliber and ability vs the other guy with the guide who lacked the skills but had a "recommended caliber" who ass shot one and it ran over the ridge wounded? Number one priority is know your gun and how to use it and that means trigger time regardless of whatever caliber you choose. Choose a caliber (and brake accordingly) that you are willing to shoot and learn. Apply ethical ranges from there.

Chances are whatever gun you start with if its a factory common offering by the time you are really into long range shooting well you'll be lusting after something else (or sending yours off for smith work) unless you got a gem off the shelf. Start with whatever you'll shoot alot and if needed upgrade later is my advice to folks when they ask about their first gun.

1.) Any recommendation on optics? The best new scope under $1000 I've seen is the Zeiss Conquest V4- I also really like the Leupold VX5 3-15 CDS that I have on my .308.
2.) Get a FAT wrench and some loctite.
3.)Before you spend money on a brake I'd see how it shoots and I think my next investments into that rifle by priority would be trigger and then a new stock.
4.) How exactly do you guys work up ballistic tables? Borrow a chrono-- I use Shooter but I've also had good results from the Vortex LRBC (works for all scopes not just theirs).
5.) I do not reload and therefore will be shooting factory ammo. Any recommendations on factory loads?
Best factory ammo accuracy I've seen came from HSM. Second to that was from Hornady Precision Hunter.

6.) If you spend the time to get that gun zero'd and practice enough to hit at 700 yards on a aoudad you won't have to worry about break in.

BUT- with a sporter contour barrel I'd make sure you aren't shooting long strings--- 3 rounds and let it fully cool.