Christensen arms mesa 7mm mag order, set up help!

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Okay so this is really my first higher end rifle, was going to get the 6.5 but decided to go with the 7mm mag since it just seemed like a more better all around hunting/target gun. As far as my long range target gun now its a .338 Lapua Mag and is as heavy as a tank. I never built a lightweight rifle so my hopes of the mesa 7mm is to keep it on the lightest side possible but still have a scope with exposed turrets and enough magnification to shoot out clearly to 800 yards at least. So I am hoping some of you gun guru's can chime in and help me out here. I have allotted myself $1500 for a scope ( give or take a little $) and I simply just can't decide on what to go with and not end up with a scope weighing 2.5 lbs. Also base & ring recommendations. And I am an avid re loader so if anyone has any hunting loads they swear by, I am all ears. Any info to help me kick start this build would be highly appreciated! Barrel is 24" and 1:9 twist.

Thanks in advance roksliders

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I've just ordered a 7 rem mag Ridgeline and will be topping it with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15. 780 bucks from bigsupply. 19oz and putting in 2.5 oz Talley rings.

FURMAN

WKR
My current favorite exposed turret scope under 1500 is the Ziess 6-24 v-4 but I still need to do some tracking tests.

2five7

WKR
I've just ordered a 7 rem mag Ridgeline and will be topping it with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15. 780 bucks from bigsupply. 19oz and putting in 2.5 oz Talley rings.

Have they gotten more in stock? They've been out of all their Leupold stuff for a while now, sucks because their pricing is the best around.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I’ve seen those go for as low as 450.00 on the used market. For an exposed turret hunting scope in that price range I’d look at the vx5hd and rh SWFA 3-15.

I just got an shv 3-10 that I’m playing around with on my 6.5cm, dosent have exposes turrets but you can reliably dial it.

As far as mounting the scope, talley lightweights are my all around favorite but on a heavier kicking rifle with a heavier scope, I personally like a rail and sturdier ring set up. Both Talley and warne make a nice rail that’s fairly lite and for 30mm rings, I have the nightforce ultralites but the warm mountain tech rings are also nice.

On a rifle like you are putting together, I’d definitely lean more towards the rail/ring option rather than the Talley ultralights. If we were talking a 308 mountain rifle with a lightweight leupold scope I’d be Talley all day long.

gbflyer

WKR
We use the Talley one piece lightweights on everything including .458 Win Mag. No issues.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
We use the Talley one piece lightweights on everything including .458 Win Mag. No issues.

I guess another point is that it seems like the OP is interested in longer range hunting, maybe not but you aren’t going to get 20moa out of Talley lightweight rings like you would off a rail.

I have used Talley light weights on a 375HH but it’s not a long range rifle by any stretch of the term.

OP
J

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
I am not so much interested in long range hunting, more of an archer, but I just want a decent set up for also target applications and yes indeed would want 20moa rings.. interesting seeing all the different option you boys reccomend

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am not so much interested in long range hunting, more of an archer, but I just want a decent set up for also target applications and yes indeed would want 20moa rings.. interesting seeing all the different option you boys reccomend

I could be wrong (probably am) but if you want 20moa, I think you’re stuck with a 20moa rail and some ring combo.

Maybe somebody makes a 20moa ring like maybe end but I’d go with a rail at that point.

I just put a warne mountain tech 20moa rail on a T3x super lite and mounted an shv 3-10x42 with nightforce ultralite lows. Sweeeet setup.

FURMAN

WKR
Hawkins makes a ring like Talley but much higher quality they are 25 moa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you’re not wanting to shoot long range and keep shots and practice in the 500-600 yard range then you don’t need a canted 20moa rail. Reading your post and what you want to do I personally would put a 0moa rail and some good rings like the NF ultralites, seekins rings (I have 3 sets of these now and really like them), or the Hawkins rings (not the hybrids if you have a rail).

New Mexican mentioned his setup wit the 3-10x42 SHV...that would be a great setup for 500-600and in. I just got one last week and shot with it yesterday and it is a super nice compact little package.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen those go for as low as 450.00 on the used market. For an exposed turret hunting scope in that price range I’d look at the vx5hd and rh SWFA 3-15. QUOTE]

You saw the VX5HD's go for 450? That's surprising as they've only been out about a year now and usually retail closer to 900. And yea, I ordered my 3-15x44 5HD 2 weeks ago, so they're in stock. The windplex is out however, but I got the impact 29 reticle.

Muttly

WKR
The Extreme Hardcore rail with level on the tail is also one to consider. I,ve got one of the older Ridgelines, so ran the Talley rail from Christensen, with Seekins rings.
Second gen, you could get 0 or 20 moa rail.

gbflyer

WKR
I guess another point is that it seems like the OP is interested in longer range hunting, maybe not but you aren’t going to get 20moa out of Talley lightweight rings like you would off a rail.

I have used Talley light weights on a 375HH but it’s not a long range rifle by any stretch of the term.

True enough.

ChrisAU

WKR
Red Hawk Rifles has demo Zeiss V6 3-18x50's for $1275, 5-30x50's for $1375. I have a 5-30 showing up tomorrow from them. $1275 for the 3-18x50 would check a lot of your boxes if your budget is really $1500.

Edit to add that the 3-18x50 plus Talley's would put you around the 24 oz range. If you wanted lighter, I'd suggest a Swaro Z5. I actually have a 5-25x52 BRH Z5 for sale. It would be in the 19oz range with Talley's.

Kotaman

WKR
I've tried to save weight going with a lesser turret scope, but the risk is not worth the reward IMO. My "lightweight" mountain rifles now all carry Nightforce ATACR's, NXS and SHV's. Why risk the shot of a lifetime for a pound of weight? Try as you may, you just aren't going to get the reliability with a Leupold, or even Swaro (I've owned plenty of both and still own a couple of each).

FURMAN

WKR
I've tried to save weight going with a lesser turret scope, but the risk is not worth the reward IMO. My "lightweight" mountain rifles now all carry Nightforce ATACR's, NXS and SHV's. Why risk the shot of a lifetime for a pound of weight? Try as you may, you just aren't going to get the reliability with a Leupold, or even Swaro (I've owned plenty of both and still own a couple of each).

I could not agree more with your point. It is not worth it. I have too much time and money invested in my hunts. Out of curiosity what problems have you had with Swaro X5s because I have heard from several well respected individuals that they are very durable.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve seen those go for as low as 450.00 on the used market. For an exposed turret hunting scope in that price range I’d look at the vx5hd and rh SWFA 3-15. QUOTE]

You saw the VX5HD's go for 450? That's surprising as they've only been out about a year now and usually retail closer to 900. And yea, I ordered my 3-15x44 5HD 2 weeks ago, so they're in stock. The windplex is out however, but I got the impact 29 reticle.

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I havnt seen vx5hd (s) go for 450, I saw one vx5hd go for 450 used.

Kotaman

WKR
I could not agree more with your point. It is not worth it. I have too much time and money invested in my hunts. Out of curiosity what problems have you had with Swaro X5s because I have heard from several well respected individuals that they are very durable.

You don't have to tell me about time and money invested in hunts. :rolleyes: I've hunted everything in NA and several species international. There was a time when everyone of my rifles carried either a VX6 or a Swaro Z5. I had one issue with a Leupold and two with Swaros. Mind you this was after hundreds of rounds through the scopes but none the less an issue. I had one Leupold that would not return to zero after dialing, one Swaro do the same and another Swaro's turret flew to pieces when I went to dial. The Swaro not returning to zero was on a Bighorn Sheep hunt. Scope worked perfect when I left, but wouldn't return to zero during the hunt. It cost me a Bighorn. Now, keep in mind, I've fired hundreds if not Thousands of rounds through the Swaros and Leupolds with only these three incidents. After the latest, I sold every Swaro I had and kept only a couple V6's. Replaced them all with Nightforce and have not looked back. (I currently own 2 ATACR's, 2 NXS and 2 SHV's.)

I've never used a Swaro X5 but do know it did not track perfectly in Luke's tracking test here a few months ago. If it is "not worth the risk" to you, stick with reliability. I'm a HUGE Swaro fan, but think their spinners could be better. There are other brands other than NF, but NF has worked for me. I was in your boat awhile ago...Convinced I needed to find a reliable lightweight scope for a lightweight mountain rifle build. What I learned is that "reliable and lightweight" just don't go together when it comes to scopes. For now my two 5.75 lb. mountain rifles carry a 2.0 lb. ATACR.