My new Merkel

R H Clark

FNG
Just wanted to share this beautiful gun I just traded for. I've wanted one for a long time and never thought I could afford it. I would have never paid for a new one and for 10 years I haven't found one I could afford this nice until now. I managed a trade plus cash or I never would have bought it, and I think I got a great deal to boot.

Sorry about the quickly composed and slightly blurry pictures. It was so hot and humid my lens was fogging constantly and I was sweating so much I was in danger of drowning.

AEW8Pt1.jpg

dnd5wta.jpg

8BmHkoK.jpg

0g0zEla.jpg

Gun of a lifetime for sure....

I used to pour & gush over merkels when I got the Double Gun Journal. I ended up picking up a small Italian o/u for probably less than a Merkel but still touted a hefty $$ tag( at the time). It seemed foolish but did it anyway & 20yrs later I've never once regretted it... congrats on a beautiful gun

Trial153

WKR
Thats sweet. They are in a class by themselves

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
R

R H Clark

FNG
Gun of a lifetime for sure....

I used to pour & gush over merkels when I got the Double Gun Journal. I ended up picking up a small Italian o/u for probably less than a Merkel but still touted a hefty $$ tag( at the time). It seemed foolish but did it anyway & 20yrs later I've never once regretted it... congrats on a beautiful gun

I have really been blessed with some good deals. I picked up a very nice model 8 Merkel SXS a few years ago for $650,which is about 1/4 what it's worth,and I found this one for about half what it was worth, and even then I wouldn't have been able to afford it without a trade.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations. That is a beauty! I am yearning for a double gun in 20 or 28. I have a 25 year old Beretta 686 and want something similar in a smaller gauge.

OP
R

R H Clark

FNG
Congratulations. That is a beauty! I am yearning for a double gun in 20 or 28. I have a 25 year old Beretta 686 and want something similar in a smaller gauge.

Thanks for the congrats. I traded a nearly new 686 20 ga 29.5" barrels toward this shotgun. I thought I would like the Beretta, and it felt really good to me ,but I couldn't hit with it as well as with my model 8 Merkel, so when this trade opportunity came up, I took it.

Bones

WKR
Beautiful gun! Congrats
I had been hunting for an over under for a while and picked up a 201e earlier this year. By far my favorite shotgun I have owned. The gentleman that got me started down the Merkel path passed away, so I am sure glad to own one and think of him when I put some rounds down the barrel. The wood on mine isn't anywhere near as pretty as yours.
edc46fd53507a7020ae260af2bbc7ee0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

R H Clark

FNG
Beautiful gun! Congrats
I had been hunting for an over under for a while and picked up a 201e earlier this year. By far my favorite shotgun I have owned. The gentleman that got me started down the Merkel path passed away, so I am sure glad to own one and think of him when I put some rounds down the barrel. The wood on mine isn't anywhere near as pretty as yours.
edc46fd53507a7020ae260af2bbc7ee0.jpg

That's a shotgun anyone could be proud of. One thing about the Merkels,that I like is that they seem even overbuilt with their bank vault actions and one would think they would be overly heavy but I find them much more nimble and quick than appearances would suggest.

Bones

WKR
That's a shotgun anyone could be proud of. One thing about the Merkels,that I like is that they seem even overbuilt with their bank vault actions and one would think they would be overly heavy but I find them much more nimble and quick than appearances would suggest.

Agreed, mine is light enough that I enjoy shooting light loads a heap of a lot more when on the sporting clays course. If I could bring myself to carry it in the field, it would be a pleasure to carry all day.

GORGEOUS Merkel!!!! Wow! I love nice wood on shotguns, .22s, etc. I also like SxSs and really enjoy bird hunting with my AYA #2 round action 16 ga. It isn't as pretty as your Merkel but is nice.

howl

WKR
Nice! I could swing the cost, but I feel badly enough about what I do to my more modest pieces. An afternoon with one like that would leave me hanging my head in shame.

The best example is what happened, years ago, when I was finally able to purchase a real quality .22lr sporter. I managed to let slip a can of solvent, putting a crescent shaped ding in the walnut stock. This before I ever fired the gun. I was just cleaning it after taking it out of the box!