Need a heavy duty boot for a narrow foot

Jackpine

FNG
I am looking for a pair of boots for an upcoming archery elk pack in hunt in northern Colorado. My issue is that I have a fairly narrow foot, with a very narrow heel and flat feet and have always had a problem getting boots that fit. I have a pair of old Irish Setters, probably thirty years old, that I have nursed along with lots of TLC, past their prime, because they fit and felt so good. They were made back when Irish Setters were Red Wings premier boot and I would kill to have another pair, but no such luck, and these are too far gone to trust on this kind of hunt.

I have tried all the usual suspects, working my way up the price range. My son bought a pair of Crispis last year and loves them, but they are too wide for me, and they evidently do not make a narrow size. I just brought home a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, which fit the best of anything I have found, with a high end, fairly thick insole/arch support, but they still seem a little wide. Kenetrek does make this boot in a narrow width and the store has ordered me a pair of the same size in the narrow width. I know the heels will be better, but am concerned about whether the instep might be too narrow. I am going to wear them both around the house as much as I can and hopefully one will work, but it is going to be at least two or three weeks before the narrow one show up.

The above is a long way of explaining my plight and asking if anyone out there has a similar situation and has possibly found a solution which I have missed.

Thanks for listening,

Jackpine

I’ll second the La Sportiva’s or maybe Scarpa’s, both excellent boots that accommodate narrow feet very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiger Rag

WKR
Salewa has a nice narrow heel cup. Hanwag has some models that have a narrow fit as well.

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Been there. I have narrow feet (B) and run about a 13-1/2 size. After so many blisters from Kennetreks I gave up and tried La Sportiva. They come in European sizes so you can get 1/2 sizes above 12. It has made all the difference in the world for me.

OP
J

Jackpine

FNG
I took a quick look at both company websites, and what I found were the lower hiking boots. I am looking for something closer to a 10" high boot. Maybe I was looking too quickly. I have to leave for the day right now, but will look more closely when I get back tonight. Cowboy, was the problem with the Kenetreks that they were too wide or something else, and did you have their actual Narrow sized boots, or the regulars?

Thanks again to all,

Jackpine

Apollo117

WKR
I can't recommend a specific model, but I will recommend Lowa's boots. I have a similar foot problem as you. I have a very narrow heel but almost a normal width throughout the rest of my foot. My feel are also flat and low volume.

Lowa's come in narrow sizes on some models. I have found the Lowa's cup my narrow heel well. My Renegades fit very well, but I'm not sure I'd use them for serious mountain work.

You're on the right track looking at the European boots. More likely to find a narrow. I'd also suggest finding a good insert. I use the Superfeet Green and they make a world of difference for comfort and fit. I made sure I found a boot that fit my heel well before messing with inserts though.

OP
J

Jackpine

FNG
Apollo,

I have never tried Renegades, but was in REI a month ago and tried on some Lowa Caminos, which I think are a heavier duty boot than the Renegades. They fit better than any other shoes in the store, but I thought they were too low for heavy mountain work, especially with the possibility of having to deal with snow. I have always worn at least a eight inch boot, tending more toward 10 inch.

I think your idea of the insoles in right on. I wear replacement insoles in almost everything, usually trying several to get the best feel and fit. I have a pair of Superfeet Hunts in the Kenetreks that I am trying.

The problem with most of the European boots is that they are more of lower hiking boot and not the higher hunting style. I have one store about 75 miles away that may have some higher Lowas.

Thanks,

Jackpine

duchntr

WKR
The height of a boot has almost nothing to do with its ability to do "heavy mountain work". BTW if something seems alittle wide to you on flat ground try sidehilling with weight and see how long it takes for your feet to start screaming. Also Lowe lasts are not known to be narrow and low volume but the high Tibets sound like a boot you'd like aesthetically, not sure if they'll fit though. Good luck with your search.
Page not found | LOWA Boots USA

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Cowboy, was the problem with the Kenetreks that they were too wide or something else, and did you have their actual Narrow sized boots, or the regulars?
Jackpine

I have 2 pair of Kenetreks, the Hikers and a pair of insulated. Both are in the narrow width size. I had both pair sized and bought right at Kenetrek in Belgrade, Mt. as I pass through there on a regular basis. The narrow width hikers have been back to Kenetrek twice to try and make them work. The problem for me is 2 fold. I had to go to a size 14 which is a half size too big for me, and second is the fact that I have a very low volume foot and Kenetreks are not low volume even in their narrow. When I pull the laces up tight I have very little gap in the tongue between the eyelets.
This does not make Kenetreks bad it just means my feet do not meet Kenetreks design.

Apollo117

WKR
Also Lowe lasts are not known to be narrow and low volume..."

I fully agree with your statement about boot height. Only reason I see for someone to require a tall boot is an ankle problem. If you're ankles are fine, there's no need for a tall boot. If you're trying to maximize waterproofing around your foot and shin there are more comfortable ways than a tall boot. Like gaiters.

Duchntr, please school me about which brands use a narrow, low volume last. I purchased the Lowa's years ago based on my research trying to find narrow, low volume hiking boots. I'd really like to know if there's a brand better than Lowa's for my narrow feet.

Man I’ve fought this for years. Skinny, low volume feet.... most boots laced up tight don’t give me much room for adjustment if the boot stretches. Danners would be completely laced tight, each side mashed against the other and still be too sloppy.

Here’s what’s worked for me: La Sportivas Trango series. I’ve used the old reds and the Cube. Both worked well with green superfeet insole or other ‘volume eating insole’
Also, I dropped the coin for the Lathrop&Sons system on their Mountain Hunters. They’re fitting really well and the laces are spaced perfectly to where I’ve got loads of adjustment left.
Some Asolos work ok also... the Fugitives with green superfeet. Not the best but will work for light duty.

Tried Crispi Wyoming’s... they fell apart before the boot could break in but I feel they would not have been a good fit long term. That said, my insulated Guides fit ok with insoles and thick socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
La Sportivas or Aslos.
Both make super heavy duty boots or lighter weight mountain boots with narrow lasts.

Boot height has nothing to do with 'ankle support'. your ankles are not 10" up your leg haha.

For elk hunting I would say the Asolo 'Trekker' would be a great boot, formally they were the Sasslong(more or less the same boot, these were my favorite all round hunting boot.). They are similar to the Lowa Tibets, but have a narrower toe box, better edge and are better for sidling and climbing I think. At the heavier end of the spectrum the Asolo Granite/Acongua will be more boot than need Id say, super solid but heavy.

La Sportivas Karakorum line is on par with the Asolo Granite(my brother uses these, I cant get them to fit my feet), heavy duty mountain boot. one of the trango models would be a great lighter weight boot, better suited to Elk hunting I would think.

I dont know why people relate the height of a boot to its use on 'mountains'. No alpine/mountain boots are 10" high, no one uses high boots for mountain or snow work in the mountain community, only hunters seem to. Get a good pair of gaiters and use a 'normal' boot height, they will be lighter than a high boot.
Only advantage of higher boots I think is some warmth, but thats it.

Idahoboy

FNG
Been there. I have narrow feet (B) and run about a 13-1/2 size. After so many blisters from Kennetreks I gave up and tried La Sportiva. They come in European sizes so you can get 1/2 sizes above 12. It has made all the difference in the world for me.

I had the same issues with Kenetrek Hardscrabbles. Super comfortable as long as I was on flat ground. Any bit of incline though and I could feel the heel blisters immediately forming.
I was thinking of trying Crispi Valdres or Thor this time around. Anyone plagued with a narrow heel tried either of these?

Bughalli

WKR
I had the same issues with Kenetrek Hardscrabbles. Super comfortable as long as I was on flat ground. Any bit of incline though and I could feel the heel blisters immediately forming.
Same for me with their Mountain Extremes. Awesome and super comfortable on flat ground. But add any incline and my heal just got destroyed. I figured I needed to break them in. After 6 months and 75-100 miles I gave up and sold them. Just didn't fit me.

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
As far as the Kenetrek boots - their leather is so thick and stiff that I won't wear them unless it is below 50F - they are just too dang hot.

I've went through a pile of boots the last few years looking for something to work well with my narrow feet. Zamberlan 980s are the current go to and they meet your desired specs. La sportiva Karakoram hc gtx (euro model) if I want beefier boots, and trango TRK for lighter and less rugged pursuits.