Anyone using Leukotape for blisters?

lpart

FNG
Anyone using this tape for blisters? If so you, how are using it? Do you also use the Cover-Roll Stretch with it or do use just use the Leukotape? Heel, toes, bottom of foot?

I picked some up after reading about it here. Had my first blister with a new pair of cowboy boots recently. Spent the day wearing the blister off and making a big scab on my heel. Got home, slapped a piece of Leukotape over the wound, and spent the rest of the weekend in the boots. No more issues. The tape acted like a lubricant and protector against the heel of the boot. I was very impressed!

bsnedeker

WKR
I use it proactively. I tape my heels and the balls of my feet and just leave it on for 3-5 days at a time. I've never gotten a blister this way. I also use compression socks under my hiking socks so that gives me some extra protection.

wapitibob

WKR
As stated above, I use gorilla tape long before a blister starts. It goes on immediately if I feel any heel slip.

I carry nextcare I think it's called. It's very waterproof. Good for putting over bandaids as well to keep them on.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Stwrt9

WKR
I carry it in my pack. It can be a life saver, as soon as you start feeling any type of hot spot put it directly onto the skin. Luckily i haven't had to put it on after the fact as it is extremely sticky. Not sure i would want it on an exposed blister. As someone stated if in doubt put it on before it's too late.

Trial153

WKR
I don’t leave home without it. I tape up my small toes proactively because they will rub really bad no matter what boots I have on

If you get a blister, put a bandaid over it, then moleskin and then the leukotape to keep it all in place. The bandaid makes it so you don't rip the blister open when you take the moleskin and luekotape off.

Trial153

WKR
If you have to tape over a hot spot butterfly the area over the spot, the lepto tape is really secure and holds well with the butterfly

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The leukotape sticks VERY WELL !! Use it wherever you think you will get a hotspot before it happens. Once you do get a blister, as said above, put something (bandaid,etc) over the blister before putting on the leukotape, or you will rip the blister off when you try to remove the tape. You should be able to do a 5 day or 7 day hunt without changing the leukotape, unless it starts to peel away at the edge. Then I would remove it, clean the skin best as possible, dry it completely then put a new piece of leukotape. It will definitely save your hunt if you use it before you start to get a blister.

Been using Leukotape since my Infantry days. It lasts well and saves me from bringing extra types of tape like electrical or tenacious tape because its waterproof and sticks to almost everything. Not thing of note is to be aware of where you apply it. It'll wax your toe hair for sure.

Leukotape is the bomb! We never leave home without it! I did pick up some pre-cut strips off amazon so I don't have to pack the whole role in. Hope it's the same quality.

Firehawk

WKR
I have a pronounced heel bone and find that I end up with blisters regularly. Using Luekotape prior to going on my hike helps a lot. Can't recall ever getting a blister if I was wearing the tape.

FH

mvmnts

WKR
Swear by leukotape, nothing else. It's strong, sticks forever, and most importantly is breathable (sorry duct tape) and thin (moleskin? na). Using something thick or not breathable on a blister is just going to increase the friction and moisture issues causing the blister in the first place. Do not put leukotape on an existing blister, you will have a real bad time.

I pack my leukotape as strips and sections on the label paper backing, like so: Quick tip: Field-friendly Leukotape strips for foot care & first aid

More importantly, I pre-tape all the places I KNOW I'm going to blister. The backs of my heels, the balls of my feet, etc. There's really almost no reason not to pre-tape. Leukotape will last 7 days easily, and you can even apply it to wet skin.

If you want to secure it even more, get yourself a bottle of mastisol and detachol. Then those things aren't going anywhere. It's about $35 for both. Long distance runners use them all the time for taping their feet. Amazon.com: FE52315 - Ferndale Laboratories Mastisol Liquid Adhesive 15 mL Bottle: Health & Personal Care

Check out the Blister section of Injury Prevention and Recovery - Fellrnr.com, Running tips for a master class in foot care.

FlyGuy

WKR
Yes, it's awesome. I too have gone to pre-taping. I hate stopping to take off my boots once I get going and that gets me into trouble. Also, shave your toes and the tops of your feet before your trip.

I also wrap about 10 turns around a one of those small travel size Tylenol pill bottles that I keep inside my bino harness, and more of it back at the truck.

Finally, make sure you bring a FRESH role of tape - NOT the role from last season that sat in your garage all summer at 110°. I was bragging to my buddies last year about how awesome it was but they weren't impressed when it wouldn't stay put. The adhesive of that role had melted somewhat over the summer and soaked into tape, so essentially both sides were sticky. Unfortunately the outside preferred sticking to my sock. I had to get by with some little mermaid bandaids that a buddy had.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

tgskog

FNG
Haven't read through all the posts so sure i'm repeating but this is best tape and solution to blisters that i've used. I don't go into the back country without it and can serve for multiple purposes. It'll last for days even with your feet sweating and stream crossings.

Yes, it's awesome. I too have gone to pre-taping. I hate stopping to take off my boots once I get going and that gets me into trouble. Also, shave your toes and the tops of your feet before your trip.

I also wrap about 10 turns around a one of those small travel size Tylenol pill bottles that I keep inside my bino harness, and more of it back at the truck.

Finally, make sure you bring a FRESH role of tape - NOT the role from last season that sat in your garage all summer at 110°. I was bragging to my buddies last year about how awesome it was but they weren't impressed when it wouldn't stay put. The adhesive of that role had melted somewhat over the summer and soaked into tape, so essentially both sides were sticky. Unfortunately the outside preferred sticking to my sock. I had to get by with some little mermaid bandaids that a buddy had.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Great advice ! A new roll is cheap enough, but it is so important that it could save your entire hunt.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure leukotape was designed by elves and was given to man as a gift of friendship

I also use multiple ~ 6" strips fastened to slick label backing (or the stuff stamps come on) to carry mine; I've tried other ways with less success

the stuff sticks well, but if you want it to really stick- apply tincture of benzoin first- can be had in little ampules or sealed swabs