Waterproofing All Leather Boots

Aeromoto

FNG
I've got a pair of 4 year old Lowa Renegade's that have been amazing. Taken me to some great places, hundreds of miles on them. But I need to re-waterproof them before a November mule deer hunt in CO. What has everyone used successfully? Should I seam seal them as well? I haven't had them leak yet, even standing in mountain streams up to my ankles, but I'd like to make sure that doesn't happen come hunt time. Cheers!

Owenst7

WKR
The leather has absolutely nothing to do with your boots being waterproof. There is a PTFE sock underneath the leather that is waterproof. Treating the leather serves to prevent the leather from drying out and cracking, and somewhat to keep it from wetting out and being cold/heavy/not breathing well. Do not seam seal them unless you want them to be less breathable.

I use Obenaufs on my work boots that do not have a membrane. It protects the leather from concrete better than anything I've found. I have used it on my mountain boots with rubber rands several times without issue, although the consensus seems to be that it can harm the contact adhesive used to apply the rubber to the leather. If your boots are are stitched I would not worry about it. I've also used Montana Pitch Blend and Nor-V-Gen, as it was recommended to me by a boot manufacturer for use around adhered rands. I've had no complaints with those products either. It's a bit less viscous than Obenauf's and probably allows the leather to breath a bit better.

I use Nikwax leather waterproofer. The one with the sponge applicator on the top. I’ve done mine and my wife’s boots. I try to do it annually or if water stops beading on them. Never had a boot leak. I live and hunt in Colorado so it’s pretty dry here. The only water they see is late season snow and stream crossings, but the real test is I use them as basically rubber boots when I’m fly fishing to just get a few steps closer to the fish (as if it helps). Nothing over ankle deep because I don’t want to soak them but if they were gonna leak, that’s when it would happen. If it matters, mine are Zamberlan 1060s and 980s and hers are Schnees beartooths. I’ve also done Crispi Lapponias this way. Never had a boot leak unless I let the creek run too high up my leg. Let the PNW guys chime in because those guys put boots in some wet conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sno Seal for my Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots. My oldest pair I am using is about worn out and the rand is still hanging on although worn off from rocks on the toes and loose for 3/8” where the boot flexes at the arch.

I put the boots and Sno Seal in the hot summer sun until the SS is liquid. Apply it liberally to clean boots. I’ll do this several days in a row until the boots quit absorbing the SS. I also carry some SS in a tiny container to touch up boot toes when I am backpack hunting. SS makes good bowstring was too, and gets used around home for that purpose.

I bought a quart “paint can” of SS a couple of years ago. It was way less expensive in bulk versus the small container. I transfer some over to the small screw lid container as needed. Good luck with your boots and hunting this fall!