I need a higher end boot, Which one?

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I am from Arizona, so must of my hunting is hot and is usually dry. I do want a boot that I can wear in wet grass and not have to worry about my socks getting wet. I have been looking at Lowa, Crispi, kennetrek and mendls. I usually wear Danners, so an upgrade is in order. Let me know your guy's experience. Right now I am leaning toward the Lowa Tibets, for really no other reason other than I like the design and they do not look like a super stiff boot that requires a bunch of break in.

JP100

WKR
Only your feet will know which is right!

All the top Euro brand will make a good boot for your use, sadly the only way to tell is try a few on!

If you are in hot weather alot, a lighter synthetic/mixed boot might be better than leather, should be a bit lighter and 'cooler'

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
That is the tough part. I want to be able to try them all on and see what fits best, but as you probably know, it is hard to locate most of these boots locally. I guess I am more looking for any positives or negatives guys have experienced with them.i am going to order 2 different pair and keep the ones that fit best, I just need to narrow it down.

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
I know I might be the outlier here but I'm not sure spending 400-500 on a boot is worth it. I like a cheaper more comfortable Solomon 4d GTX or some mid hiker Keens with a good gaiter. Can burn through 3-4 pair before you get to the same cost of the others. I know some serious hunters that will even get 2 good pair of hiking tennis shoes and switch them out.

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will consider those other brands as well. I really have no rhyme or reason as to why I narrowed it down to the ones I did. I wear some Sportiva's for work, they have a 3/4 shank in them and are a pretty stiff boot. I like my hunting boots to be a little bit more flexible than what my current sportivas are.

I don’t have experience with any of the ones you mention except the Meindls. I did try the Lowa Renagades and they just didn’t fit me. Tried some cheaper Hi-Techs and they came apart in two months. Got my money back. Went back to the Meindls and I am very happy. I was trying to save a few dollars. If the Meindls fit your feet, I would highly recommend.

ckrhtr

FNG
I have owned Alaska Hunters and Perfekt Hunters by Mendel, 2 pair of Kennetrek's, Crispi Guide GTX and Zamberlan 980 GTX. I can say without a doubt finding one that fits your foot well is the most important thing. After wearing out the last pair of Mendel's 2 years ago I struggled through the Kennetreks eventually returning both pairs for fitment issues. I am currently breaking in the Zamberlan's and the Crispi's and for me I think it is going to be a toss up which one is better for my foot.

muddydogs

WKR
What's wrong with Danners if your wearing them now? There's way more Danners in the wood the the other brands you listed.

Catahoula

WKR
I lived in Arizona for 30 years. Wore Kenetreks for last 8-9 years. Great boot and was fine with uninsulated and wool socks. However, my feet have changed over last couple years and I made the switch to Crispi’s. Comfy boots right o7t of the gate thus far. Good luck..

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Where at in Phoenix are you? Anywhere near Ross Outdoors? They carry Crispi, Lowa and Solomon, plus, they are the best archery shop in our state.

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
What's wrong with Danners if your wearing them now? There's way more Danners in the wood the the other brands you listed.

I love the out of the box comfort of the Danner's, but over time, they become too flexible and also the wear out rather quickly.

WRO

WKR
Go to rei and try the la sportiva's..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I burned through my new La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX's in two weeks, hunting in AZ. Luckily I was able to get a refund, which I put towards a pair of Whites Outdoorsman. These boots are more 'classic' in design, but they use quality silicone impregnated leather, and a vibram sierra sole. The best part is that they can be sent back and rebuilt over the years.

Edit: Just to add...
The La Sportivas were great boots and held up great everywhere but the sole.

The boots were lightweight, and had pretty good support for the height. The sole however, was devoured by volcanic Arizona rock.

Last edited:

WestNE

WKR
I'll throw a vote out for Salewa. I've got a pair of earlier gen Alp trainers that have been very durable and great for warm weather hunts. I picked up a pair of leather lined Mountain Trainers as well for cooler weather, rougher text and I've been very happy.
Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Huntharder,

I went through this last year, I live in Texas, so similar issue trying stuff on in my area. Long and short, I found that you just have to try them on, the footbeds are just too different. I tried Lowas, Schnees, Kennetreks, Hanwags, some others...ended up with Crispis. I think they all make good products, they just fit differently.

IIRC, the Tibets are pretty stiff btw. You can sometimes find Kennetreks at Cabelas, and they can order them in for you. I think REI can do the same with the Lowas. The only other option, unfortunately, is having a few shipped, trying them, and then sending them back.

Good luck, it was a somewhat frustrating experience for me personally, sure wish we had access to this stuff more conveniently!

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am from Arizona, so must of my hunting is hot and is usually dry. I do want a boot that I can wear in wet grass and not have to worry about my socks getting wet. I have been looking at Lowa, Crispi, kennetrek and mendls. I usually wear Danners, so an upgrade is in order. Let me know your guy's experience. Right now I am leaning toward the Lowa Tibets, for really no other reason other than I like the design and they do not look like a super stiff boot that requires a bunch of break in.

We have quite a few guides and hunters in Arizona running our Beartooth II uninsulated boots. Hope that helps. If we can be of any further help, just shoot a PM!

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I was on the fence between Lowa Caminos and Tibets. I went with the Caminos, and couldn't really imagine how stiff the Tibets must be. I'm glad I didn't go with them. Someone else with experience in both may can weigh in, but I think they would have been too much for me.