Inov8 Roclite 325 GTX

I needed buy a pair of boots so that I didn't have to deer hunt in MN again this year in my Red Wing Iron Rangers, and wanted something lightweight because I do a lot of walking (.5-1.5 miles sometimes) to get to my spots, so when I found the Inov8s on sale ($77 shipped at camp saver after sale price of 86 and 10% coupon for signing up for their newsletter) I pulled the trigger.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these on longer hikes as I'm looking at a week-long mule deer hunt in ND badlands next year and will likely be covering some ground :) In particular I'm wondering how they fare when carrying heavier loads. I'm guessing I'm going to hear that if your feet are conditioned and used to the lighter sole you'll probably be fine, but hate to assume.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have the 325-GTX and it is an excellent choice for backpacking even with heavy loads. I use the 315-GTX (low trail runner) for day hikes or 2-3 day backpacks and wouldn't hesitate to use it for longer hikes if I didn't have the 325-GTX.

I think you made an excellent choice.

Rokwiia

WKR
Two other thoughts. The weight savings of the INOV-8 325 GTX compared to RW Iron Rangers, which are 4lbs 2oz per pair will huge. You'll save about 20oz per boot which translates to about ~33,000 fewer pounds lifted over a 10-mile trip. That means your legs will be much fresher each day.

The grip on the 325-GTX is significantly more substantial than the RWIR. You'll like that feature going up and down hills/mountains.

Lawnboi

WKR
I trail run in roclites regularly. I can't run them off trail with weight, they fatigue my feet too much. They also allow my foot to roll within the shoe too much when side hilling.

Even though I regularly run some pretty technical trails, in low drop and minimal cushion shoes I just can't get along with them off trail, or with heavy weights. That includes badlands area terrain, Iv tried but always switch back to my boots

Just my 2 cents. Inov8 did an awsome job with the latest iteration of the roclite

OP
Boxerboxer
Two other thoughts. The weight savings of the INOV-8 325 GTX compared to RW Iron Rangers, which are 4lbs 2oz per pair will huge. You'll save about 20oz per boot which translates to about ~33,000 fewer pounds lifted over a 10-mile trip. That means your legs will be much fresher each day.

The grip on the 325-GTX is significantly more substantial than the RWIR. You'll like that feature going up and down hills/mountains.

My iron rangers actually have a lugged Vibram sole, so you’re not as correct as you think about the traction, but even more correct than you think about the weight differential :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
Here is a link to the models of RWIR sold:

Men's 6" Leather Boots, Made in America | Red Wing Heritage

By comparison here is the INOV-8 325:

ROCLITE 325 GTX Men's Walking Shoe | inov-8

The 325-GTX has 6mm lugs over the entire bottom of the shoe. I've only seen pictures of the RDIR on their site, and if they are accurate, it doesn't appear the lugs are any where near 6mm nor have the entire shoe bottom covered. Maybe someone can measure the lug depth because I don't see how the RWIR could keep up with the 325s on an incline.

Last edited:
OP
Boxerboxer
Here is a link to the models of RWIR sold:

Men's 6" Leather Boots, Made in America | Red Wing Heritage

By comparison here is the INOV-8 325:

ROCLITE 325 GTX Men's Walking Shoe | inov-8

The 325-GTX has 6mm lugs over the entire bottom of the shoe. I've only seen pictures of the RDIR on their site, and if they are accurate, it doesn't appear the lugs are any where near 6mm nor have the entire shoe bottom covered. Maybe someone can measure the lug depth because I don't see how the RWIR could keep up with the 325s on an incline.

I understand your confusion but I had them resoled by an non-RW shop.

This is after about 6 months of daily use:

8fbacafab00bbd1f23e51b2510b1931f.jpg

Rokwiia

WKR
That's a horse of a different color. I still like the design of the lugs on the INOV-8 as they are multi-directional. Moreover, they are somewhat sticky which I love for traction.

Having said that, your RWIRs will get many more miles per pair than the INOV-8. When it comes to footwear for me, the expected life isn't that important. It's performance and performance alone. If I have to replace it more frequently than another boot/shoe, so be it.

OP
Boxerboxer
That's a horse of a different color. I still like the design of the lugs on the INOV-8 as they are multi-directional. Moreover, they are somewhat sticky which I love for traction.

Having said that, your RWIRs will get many more miles per pair than the INOV-8. When it comes to footwear for me, the expected life isn't that important. It's performance and performance alone. If I have to replace it more frequently than another boot/shoe, so be it.

Yeah, I’ve had these IRs for 5 years and I’ll probably wear them at least that long before I replace them. A quick cleaning and oiling and they look amazing again even after a walk in the woods or two.

Even if they don’t past past a season or two the Roclites can be replaced 3-4 times before I’ve spent Iron Ranger money (assuming I watch sales closely)