Boot Recommendations for spot and stalk and rugged terrain

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for some advice on boots for some east coast hunting. I have bad ankles due to sports injury's and need something with good ankle support. I typically hunt whitetails, by spot and stalk, as well as treed stand hunting. I also do a lot of bear hunting by working bear drives were we hike 7-8 miles a day in some rough rocky terrain and outcroppings. I've been looking at the Crispi Wyoming's and Nevada's, as well as the Saloman Quest 4D's. What do you think would be best for my situation or do you have other recommendations. Unfortunately, most of these manufacture's do not have retailers near me to try them on.

Thanks in advance.

Salomon Quest 4D. I have two pair and love them. I have read on here about not being waterproof, but I have not had that problem. I have two pair that I have had a year that I rotate and wear daily to work, and casual. They have held up well, are still very comfortable and offer great support.
I have a pair of Crispi Hunter GTX that I use for hunting, they are by far the most comfortable boot I have ever put my foot into. I know you mentioned the Crispi Wyoming and Nevada, but I can't offer an opinion on either of those. Blackovis.com (CrispiUs.com) is a sponsor here, and they offer a 10% discount to new customers if you want to order Crispis from them. They have a easy to use return policy if they don't fit just right. Their customer service is A+

rjf611

FNG
I am in same boat as you. And am still looking for that perfect boot that breathes, is waterproof, agile and quiet.
I do a lot of still hunting and have used LL Bean Maine hunting boot, not good for rugged terrain or snow. Bought some Hoffman Guide boots, they were like balloons on my feet and not good for my purpose.
Currently using Chippewa Cibola 8. CHIPPEWA BOOTS #20085 CIBOLA 8
Not waterproof or insulated, but treated with Obenauf’s and with small gaiters (Traverse Hunting Gaiters) keep snow and most moisture out. Has great traction for snow and mountains and is quiet and agile. I use Arctic Shield insulated boot covers if I’m going to sit for a bit and it is real cold.
Boots would need to be dried out if used in wet conditions at end of day so for day hunts only.

With that said I am going to give the Cabela’s Melinda Perfekt hunters a shot as soon as they offer a discount.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/foo...mens-perfekt-hunter-boots/748348.uts?slotId=1

Great warranty and as you are also in PA, you can go to store and actually try on. Btw they now have Kenetreks there as seen at my last visit.
Good luck

muddydogs

WKR
I am in same boat as you. And am still looking for that perfect boot that breathes, is waterproof, agile and quiet.
No boot really breathes, yes some of the Gortex boots kind of breath but if your doing any amount of hiking at all your feet are going to sweat. There's just no way around it, your cramming your feet into an enclosed space.

While some boots are way bigger then what they need to be with most boots being agile and quiet is more about the operator then the boots. It takes practice to walk in the woods quietly and not stumble around like a drunk. With time and lots of miles one eventually gets to where they can look down every few feet then be looking up and around and it just seems that your feet know where to go. Guys think they need stacking shoes or stalk in there socks but with time and practice you don't need to be able to feel sticks under your feet because you won't be stepping on them in the first place.

Tater,
Buy a pair of Crispi Idahos in the same size you would wear in a nike basketball shoe. You wont regret it.

OP
T

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
Tater,
Buy a pair of Crispi Idahos in the same size you would wear in a nike basketball shoe. You wont regret it.

Cattracker, I ordered the nevadas, but the gentleman at black ovis said to order up a 1/4-1/2 size more than what your foot measures on those metal shoe measures. My foot came in just a tad over the 9.5 mark, so I ordered a ten. Should I have ordered down to a 9.5?

Cattracker, I ordered the nevadas, but the gentleman at black ovis said to order up a 1/4-1/2 size more than what your foot measures on those metal shoe measures. My foot came in just a tad over the 9.5 mark, so I ordered a ten. Should I have ordered down to a 9.5?

I'm not sure what he meant by a 1/4 size?? Don't think they make a 9 1/4 or a 10 1/4 in anything. My Crispi fit true to size. You should be good with a 10. You will probably be wearing a little heavier sock with them anyway.