Boots for heavy snow?

ssliger

WKR
What boots do you guys recommend for hunting heavy snow. I went out to try and find a deer or cow elk yesterday and was hiking in 18-30" of snow. I have a pair of gaiters that work well. But when the snow would melt on my boots they couldn't keep out all the water.

What boots do you guys recommend for hunting heavy snow. I went out to try and find a deer or cow elk yesterday and was hiking in 18-30" of snow. I have a pair of gaiters that work well. But when the snow would melt on my boots they couldn't keep out all the water.

At that point I'm using 13" pac boots. Schnees are what I use, but Hoffman, Kennetrek, Whites, etc all make good stuff.

18+" and I'm using snowshoes also.

Yk

Last edited:

Zbowman1

WKR
Like Yellowknife said above, any of these pack boots would be good choices. I am using the Whites right now and so fair after 2 snow seasons I still like them. I do a couple of late hunts a year and there is always snow on the ground. I really like the removable felt liners and the soles seem to provide pretty good traction in the mountains with snow on the ground. One thing I am not crazy about is the weight on the boots but I have not compared the weight of these to the others so maybe they are all on the heavy side.

idig4au

WKR
I'll mimic what the others said above. I use the White's Elk Guides myself...they are about 10 years old. Heavy boot, but when the snow hits the ground, that is what I use. Those and my Filson Single Tin pants are my late season go to combo if I'm hunting in snow. Retro and old school, but it works!

I've never weighed them, but the White's I've picked up did seem considerably heavier than the Schnees's and Hoffmans. Heavier construction + a felt liner, vs the thinsulate liner of the other boots. Likely warmer though.

Just sent my Schnees in to be rebuilt after 10 or 12 years. $80 and they come back like new. Hard to beat that.

Yk

2rocky

WKR
I just bought a pair of Kenetrek Grizzly's. I had Hoffmans before that. I prefer the thinner Thinsulate liners to the Thick Felt that the Whites have.

40031300-2.gif

unm1136

WKR
I am taking my daughter on a Dec mule deer hunt in the gila, expecting temps in the low twenties with possible snow. I was so terrified that she would get cold and hate the trip, and I am under financial constraints, so I picked up a couple of pairs of surplus Mickey Mouse boots. We will be sitting more than walking, and will have several changes of wool socks. After doing my homework I am coming to the conclusion that folding the top of the sock over the top of the boot is to help moderate moisture in the impervious boots via capillary action. Someday I will be able to afford good boots, but for now this is the best I can do.

Just my $0.02.

pat

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
buy her the boot warmers that are shaped like an insole. They cost about $3 per day but will keep her feet warm during the critical cold morning hours. No matter the boot you buy, if it's in the low 20's or lower, and you're not walking, feet will eventually get cold.