What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

• Lowa

Votes: 136 28.0%
  • Scarpa

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • Asolo

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Danner

Votes: 31 6.4%
  • Salomon

Votes: 44 9.1%
  • Kenetrek

Votes: 80 16.5%
  • LasPortiva

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Hanwag

Votes: 37 7.6%
  • Salewa

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Meindl

Votes: 90 18.5%

• Total voters
Been wearing Meindle Grand Tetons (discontinued), AK Hunter, and Perfekt. I find them very comfortable and durable. The AK Hunters are the newest in the bunch and I did get a blister the other day from them but I think its because they are a little big on me. Thought the 10 1/2 were the right size but should have went 10 on these. Probably will list them here.

I've been amazed by the Kenetrek's I have. I have the Mountain Extreme (insulated) and the Safaris. They have both fit me incredibly well and have required essentially no break in.

murf45

WKR
I've been using lowa renegade gtx mid height boots for early season hunts and hiking. It has been a great boot and is comfortable down to about 30 degrees. They didn't really take any break in time.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Kind of funny.........my three favorites aren't even on your list. Crispi, Zamberlan, and my 10yo Rocky Lynx's. Ya, people laugh at my Rocky boots but they have been with me for 100's of mountain miles the last 10 years. This was probably their last year however as the footbed is pretty much toast. The soles are still in amazing shape.....surprisingly.

I've also had Kenetreks and Lowa Tibets but the Crispis and Zamberlans work best for me now. The absolute worst mountain boot......Danner Pronghorns. Flip flops probably work better.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Zamberlan Expert Ibex for me once I got them broken in. http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=267&idcat=17

Nice stiff boot, but not bad once broken in. I just got the Zamberlan Pamir Kuiu boot in as I wanted a similar boot but uninsulated. The Kuiu Pamir is stiffer out of the box. Not sure how much the uppers will break in but fit is good for my narrow low volume foot so I'm not sending them back.

Prior to that Crispi Wilds which are very comfortable out of the box, just not as stiff as I would like. It's a good all around comfortable boot with good ankle support. They haven't taken the abuse as well as I'd like but they're fine for lighter duty day hunts, etc.

Now, I've had lots of boots from Raichle, Vasque, Meindle, Asolo, Kenetrek, Alico, and Kayland. Most of those have had a fit issue or just were ok.

The Kaylands are pretty doggone good, especially for the money. They are still in my summer rotation.

Asolo just seemed to cause too much fatigue for me though fit was pretty decent. Not sure why on those.

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
The area I hunt is not really mountains but it is called the badlands because of how rough and steep the terrain is. The elevation changes are frequent. I currently have the Lowa Hunter GTX Extremes. These fit my feet great and I have been very pleased with them.

I have been using the hanwag Alaska gtx's for a couple of years and love them. Had Danner elk ridge before and hates them not enough support .

Tanner

WKR
Just purchased a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX from another member here. I'm very anxious to try them out.

I don't know if this is a problem that I had that nobody else did (might be due to jacked up feet from so much time in ski boots), but I had issues climbing with my Meindl Denalis. I absolutely loved the boot overall, but had major pain on the calcaneus bone on steep ascensions.

Tanner

So far the best mountain boot I have used is the Scarpa Liskamm, Pretty stiff boot, but enough flex in it for wearing in all terrain. Able to use crampons with them is a must as well.

I do have to say I am a fan of plastic boots for goat hunting and would love to find some new inner boots for my green Koflachs.

JPD350

WKR
Lowa Hunters
For 30 years I bought inexpensive boots and I always had foot problems, heel pain mainly. 3 years ago I saw a sale on Lowa hunters and I couldn't resist! since then I have beat the crap out of them and have covered many miles, I have never had any foot pain with my Lowas.

I do have an issue; one boot has a small water leak, it takes a little while for the water to get in and its not a lot but it is a leak and it really sucks, this pair will end up for dry season hunting since waterproofing wax doesn't seem to work. I will however give Lowa one more chance since these boots were so comfortable and ended my foot pain! I ordered another pair while they were on sale last Friday (297.00 at Shoebuy.com). I will put them to the water test big time during the first year and if they leak I will return them ASAP, unfortunately I do not know which boot I will try next if they spring another leak.

tstowater

WKR
Really liked a pair of Meindl Perfect Hunters I wore for years and literally gave up the ghost on last year's lion hunt. They are replaced with Zamberlan Vioz 1006 and fit my feet quite well. They are on their third hunt. I will see how the uninsulated boots like the cold and snow on this year's lion hunt. Use Schnees Granites for sheep hunts. I think they will stand the test.

After the hunt, I'm not really keen on using uninsulated boots in zero degree temps and snow. Need to find something to fill in that area. For their intended application, the Zamberlans are excellent. The Schnees are too stiff to use for elk, deer or lion hunts.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been running the Meindle Alaska Hunter since 2009. They are a pretty good boot for 90% of the time. However, I have been looking for a stiffer boot as some of the sheep terrain I have been in the last 2 hunts was rough, loose, and steep.... I followed the KUIU boot with interest, but I prefer an insulated boot so I just picked up a pair of Zamberlan Ibex Pros. I look forward to breaking them in. I'll see how they work out and decide which boot goes with me for 2014's sheep hunt.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got my Scarpa Kinesis Pros broken in and I'm very impressed. They climb over the couch and up the stairs like a champ! In all seriousness they're the best boot I've owned. Took almost a hundred miles to get them broken in but I feel like a mountain goat and climb like one now

TEmbry

WKR
This thread should do nothing but prove guys can only recommend what they are comfortable with. All boot companies put out a good boot, IF THEY FIT YOUR FOOT. Lowa's may be of the highest quality in the world, but if it isn't the right shape for your foot you would literally be better off with tennis shoes. Boots are all about trying on and giving them a go to see if they work.

I have a couple hundred miles in my Kenetrek Mountain Lights (discontinued model now I believe). Love them... But having had them like 6-7 years now my foot has grown some and I find them a bit tight in the toe box with a thick pair of wool socks. I hope to find a replacement pair by next fall.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Hanwags the last few years. Of all the boots I've owned, nothing fits my feet better. As a big bonus, they last me more than one year!

Never liked GTX boots, so run the Hanwag Yukons and the LL version of the Omegas. Wish I could stock up on a lifetime supply of these boots, before they get 'modernized' and ruined...

I got my first real mountain boots about 25 years ago and since then have probably owned close to 20 pairs. Meindl, Scarpa, Solomon, Vasque, LA Sportiva, Koflach, Raichle, Lowa, Hanwag, and I am sure there are a few in there that aren't coming to mind right now... My favorites of all of those were the old version(all leather) of the LA Sportiva Nepal Top and the Scarpa Cerro Torre(all leather as well). When both of those companies screwed up both of those boots by going to new designs, lighter weight materials, more stitching I went to the Hanwag Omegas and IMO these are the only boots on the market right now that compare to the old versions of those boots. I like them so much I bought two pairs as I wanted to get some years of service before Hanwag decides to go with the flow and screw up these boots as well.

This pair was pretty new here:

As far as I know there are only a small handful of guys using these in NA. Maybe someone can correct me on that if they know more... The first pair I ordered were a real PITA to get and at that time no one in Canada would bring them in for us. Once Lathrop and Sons figured out exactly what we wanted it got a bit easier. But as far as I know no one in NA stocks these and they are made once an order gets big enough to do a run of them, at least that is how it was with the last pair I ordered.

Last edited:

Hike&Hunt

FNG
Kenetreck Mtn extreme, non-insulated. Zero break in time, most comfortable boot I have ever owned, full lateral support; you will go down with a heavy load before they let you roll an ankle, full wrap around rand; I'm on season 4 (I hunt and scout big game in the backcountry of Colorado 45+ days a year) and they are still in great shape. The only real signs of wear are the treads, I'll need to look into having them put a new set on someday...

Just purchased a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX from another member here. I'm very anxious to try them out.

I don't know if this is a problem that I had that nobody else did (might be due to jacked up feet from so much time in ski boots), but I had issues climbing with my Meindl Denalis. I absolutely loved the boot overall, but had major pain on the calcaneus bone on steep ascensions.

Tanner

I bought a pair of Denali's because I also love the overall boot structure and design but the second I started up hill I could tell they were not right for my heel. I did not go 200 yatds in them before I could feel a hot spot, I turned around and returned them. It sucked because I wanted to like them so much. I switched to Lowas and haven't looked back.