Crampons

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you wanting to use them for? I don't have experience with the micro spikes, but I have a similar style set made by hillsound (they call them trail crampons http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon/) that I have been very happy with. I mostly use them for goat hunts and (and occasionally for sheep hunts, but far less often) where I need additional traction on steep terrain covered in slick/wet vegetation. They have worked well, and are easy on easy off which I like.

Luke had problems with the metal tearing through the rubber when he used the trail crampons, but I haven't had the same problem. He weighs more than I do, and also packs more weight so he likely put more stress on the rubber. Figure me plus my pack at max weight being around 200lbs while Luke plus his could be nearer the 300+lb mark. He has a couple of other style crampons he is using now, but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. I will let him chime in later and tell you what his preference is.

http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

Are these good for hunting or are dedicated crampons better? These are what guys use here for ice fishing.
That's what I wear. Been using them for about 4 years now without any issues. They haven't been used a lot, but when I've needed them, they've worked out great. I have several friends that have also used them without any issues.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's what I wear. Been using them for about 4 years now without any issues. They haven't been used a lot, but when I've needed them, they've worked out great. I have several friends that have also used them without any issues.

I modified mine a bit....

Added a Velcro strap in two spots and it keeps the in place better. Wasn't a huge issue before, but on steep side hills they would twist a bit. They don't now with the Velcro.

Buster

WKR
Like luke, the rubber eyelets blew out fairly quickly. Kahtoola was great and refunded me, so I went with the kts aluminums. I started a thread on alternatives to them, as mine are all but worn out now, not much else out there in the mid range other than Hillsound. I think I'll continue with kahtoola kts, but will try the steel ones for durability.

60x

WKR
I have not tried the microspikes but I have been tryin out the hillsound six point.. For me its important to not have them slip especially on steep grades with heavy loads....think pucker factor.. Also its equally important for me to have use of my toe on my boots for kickin in to get a foot hold... so far they are holding up well.. they are a bit tight on my size 12 koflach but fit a bit better on my scarpas..

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have both the cypress 6 point like 60X has above and the Kathoola KTS and K-10s. The 6 points go on by far the fastest and are only $36 and you can get them crazy tight with the ratchets. The K-10s are nice but only have 2 hunts used with them. Will bring both the K-10s and the 6 points with my to Kodiak to swap back and forth my buddy in a couple weeks and see which ones we like best over all for mid winter mountain goat hunting.

I'll let ya know which I like better after playing on the icey mountain and snow and hopefully hauling 4 or even more mountain goats off the mountain ;)

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both the cypress 6 point like 60X has above and the Kathoola KTS and K-10s. The 6 points go on by far the fastest and are only $36 and you can get them crazy tight with the ratchets. The K-10s are nice but only have 2 hunts used with them. Will bring both the K-10s and the 6 points with my to Kodiak to swap back and forth my buddy in a couple weeks and see which ones we like best over all for mid winter mountain goat hunting.

I'll let ya know which I like better after playing on the icey mountain and snow and hopefully hauling 4 or even more mountain goats off the mountain ;)
Where are you finding the Cypress 6 points for $36? I think I'd like to add a pair of those to my kit.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

What's your thoughts on these now?

Im gonna try some camp usa race 290 10 point aluminums this year. Only 10.2 oz.

I currently have the kahtoola aluminum ones but they are about 19 oz on my scale if i remember correctly and for my uses they don't get used enough to weigh that much.

These 10 points are lighter than any 6 point I've seen.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im gonna try some camp usa race 290 10 point aluminums this year. Only 10.2 oz.

I currently have the kahtoola aluminum ones but they are about 19 oz on my scale if i remember correctly and for my uses they don't get used enough to weigh that much.

These 10 points are lighter than any 6 point I've seen.
Interesting.. Where did you pick yours up?

CC

FNG

I was just looking at this thread. Bow hunting a few weeks ago in Montana, I must have fallen over 50 times. 3 or 4 with 110 lbs on my back. Just curious how you made out with your testing Luke. Do you like the KTS, K-10's or the 6 points? I plan on getting a set soon for rifle season. Thanks!