Why Are Hiking Boot Soles So Stiff?

Some terrain simply demands stiff, heavy boots, but frankly I think a lot of guys (myself included) use too much boot for the conditions. I tend to err on the side of too much rather than not enough.

I know there are some guys on here that log WAY more miles than myself, but I log a couple hundred every year with a good percentage of those being off trail and in some very rugged conditions and have included some very heavy packs and don't think I've wished for stiffer boots once. I'm sure with some mountaineering type stuff you may want them, but I've hiked a lot of cliffs and steep nasty terrain. Guess it just comes down to personal preference and what your legs/ankles/feet require.

Mike

_Nick_

WKR
Guess it just comes down to personal preference and what your legs/ankles/feet require.

Mike

Yeah it pretty much does. Though, I've noticed that my legs/ankles/feet have gotten much stronger since I switched from heavy boots to lighter trail running shoes. I've also noticed that because my legs are less tired from the weight of the heavy boots, I have fewer issues with fatigue-induced ankle rolling. It's basically the opposite of what the shoe people at REI will tell you: my ankles are safer without the protection.

Glad you enjoy the Quest 4 Ds. I use them as well as my light weight hikers although usually use my stiffer mountain boots. Stiff soled boots really come into play when in steep mixed terrain such as 30-40 degree snow / ice / rock terrain were kick stepping and side stepping is used. I routinely encounter this type of terrain which is why I prefer the stiff soles. If they are a good fit and the right boot for your foot than hiking 20 miles with a stiff full shank boot is no problem. Many times we like the idea of 1 boot and try to make it work when its just not the right boot for our foot.

This is an interesting thread, I had the opposite experience. I'd go through pairs of light hiking boots every 9 mos. Tried my first mountaineering boots (just Danner Mountain Assaults) and there was a world of difference. They aren't as "comfy" and give big callouses but I've logged over 200mi on them now and love em. My feet used to ache at the end of a day in ugly terrain with a heavy load (usually 50-60 lbs of elk sheds) but with the stiffer boot they feel just fine. I don't think I'll ever go back for what I use them for. We hike some absolutely unholy terrain where we shed hunt (makes the 10,000+ foot mountain hunting spots look easy) and the heavier boot makes a world of difference. Maybe boots are just like packs; most of us end up trying half of the market to find the right one.

Salomon Quest and your problems are solved.

Took the words out of my mouth! After way too many hunting, working, and mountaineering trips with stiff mountain boots (and blisters upon blisters) I'm sold on the flexibility of the Salomons. Haven't had a single hot spot after a couple hundred miles use.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I've been through a lot of boots as well. Got a pair of lowa caminos this year and have been very impressed. Sole is more flexible than Tibets but has similar ankle support. Probably my favorite boots that I've owned.

InDeep

WKR
I have had these salewa alp trainers and prior to that , Tibet's and so far the salewa is working out flawless. I have become very sensitive to the stiff soled boots . And these boots are not to soft and not too stiff. Give them a look , being a Tibet guy you might love the change !!

akshayv

Banned
Orthofeeet shoes Recommended by a close friend who has used your product for years with immediate relief. I hope I am able to say the same when I start using them. My foot pain is becoming unbearable. Shopping experience was effortless. Shopping & placing order was easy. Will be waiting to see the quality of product ordered. I have a very small foot, size ladies 4, some size 5's fit if they run small/narrow, which is hard to find. I have high arches & have to have good support shoes. Hoping these orthotic arches will help in my sandals

Yup. Nothing tires me out as much as putting 10 miles on with 2lb clodhoppers. I've switched to trail running and backpacking in minimalist New Balance shoes... the transition has left my feet and ankles much stronger. The lighter weight certainly helps minimize hiking fatigue as well.

I have a pair of Salomon mid X ultras and am thinking about using them this year on my highcountry archery hunts. Are you carrying heavy packs when using the trail runners or light hikers?

Rokwiia

WKR
Some terrain simply demands stiff, heavy boots, but frankly I think a lot of guys (myself included) use too much boot for the conditions. I tend to err on the side of too much rather than not enough.

What terrain may that be which demands a stiff, heavy boot?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have a pair of Salomon mid X ultras and am thinking about using them this year on my highcountry archery hunts. Are you carrying heavy packs when using the trail runners or light hikers?

I and most that I work and hunt with use very light shoes no matter the terrain. That is to say in the typical Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, etc. mountains the most common shoe for us is the Inov-8 Roclite 286 and 325 GTX’s. I don’t know how we would handle really heavy weight as the heaviest actual measured weight of a pack was 146lbs for right at 5 miles...

Peoples feet are weak- we put our kids feet in caskets before they are able to even walk and wonder why so many people have so many foot problems. The best thing people could do is to start training their feet, muscles, and ligaments to support themselves and do the work instead of boots and orthotics cacooning weak feet.

akshayv

Banned
Love the orthofeet Sandals. I have severe Plantar Fas. And cannot walk with bare feet. These sandals have changed my life. I even have a pair just for the shower. Your site is very user friendly and check out was easy. Have worn the Sandals now for one week and boy do they help the foot pain. It does take some time to get used to the support rubbing the toe, but an easy fix. The sandals are very firm, and that must be the reason it helps the foot. Wear them throughout the house.

Rokwiia

WKR
I and most that I work and hunt with use very light shoes no matter the terrain. That is to say in the typical Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, etc. mountains the most common shoe for us is the Inov-8 Roclite 286 and 325 GTX’s. I don’t know how we would handle really heavy weight as the heaviest actual measured weight of a pack was 146lbs for right at 5 miles...

Peoples feet are weak- we put our kids feet in caskets before they are able to even walk and wonder why so many people have so many foot problems. The best thing people could do is to start training their feet, muscles, and ligaments to support themselves and do the work instead of boots and orthotics cacooning weak feet.

Amen. I hike or backpack 30 weekends a year and have used INOV-8 exclusively for years. Up and over mountains and long hikes. My favorite are the 325 GTX and 315 GTX.

I've found that my legs were fresher at day's end once I ditched the boots. If you compare the INOV-8 325 to a regular hunting boot, say the Schnee Beartooth Mid, you add 1 lb of weight per foot. If you are walking 5 miles, that's an extra 13,200 lbs you're lifting with the Beartooth vs 325. Double it at 5 miles out and back and you're talking about an extra 13 tons of weight you had to move.

Does the feeling in the shins and ball or sole of foot from the unfamiliar stiffness of a stiff boot ever go away? I have some Briksdals that are giving me similar issues and I want to cut my losses or accelerate the break in process. done about 7 miles of hiking on double track...around 1500ft of elevation