Why Are Hiking Boot Soles So Stiff?

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I totally understand having stiff material around the ankles to support your ankles and prevent injury, but why such a stiff sole on most hiking boots? I'm beginning to come to the conclusion, after countless miles of rucking, in preparation for this years elk season, that I have been duped into thinking I need some heavy stiff clodd hoppers to handle the mountains with a weighted pack and wanted to get y'alls opinion before I find out the hard way in the middle of the backcountry with damaged feet.

I understand the need to protect the bottom of my feet from rocks and bumps and uneven terrain that can bruise my feet, but do the soles need to be so stiff that they won't even flex when I walk?! Can't I have flexible soles that protect my feet?

This stiffness is causing two problems for me:

First, as I walk, I peel my back foot up off the ground heel first. This is normally accommodated in a walking shoe by the sole flexing with my foot. In a hiking boot, with a stiff sole that won't flex with my foot, this creates a tremendous amount of pressure on the pad of my forefoot, which then starts to ache and go numb within 1 to 2 miles of hiking and I'm darn near crippled after 4 1/2 miles on pavement. This is happening with my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and my Asolo Powermatic 200. I have the same results with orange Superfeet insoles, Lathrop Synergy insoles and another quality cushioning / supportive insole that I can't remember the name of. I've had both pairs for over 3 years and feel like they are "broken in". I didn't notice this problem much before because most of my time spent in them was scouting and hunting whitetails locally which never required more than 2 miles or so at a time.

My second problem caused by such a stiff sole is heel slip. When my foot wants to flex but the boot won't, then somethings gotta give and it doesn't matter how tight I tie the laces at my ankle or how well my heel fits the heel cup, my heel is going to move. The amount of slippage is small and is equal to the amount my heel flesh compresses when weighted versus when my foot is in the air. This isn't much movement, but over 6 miles of flat pavement or 1 mile up hill, it becomes significant. I've resigned myself to just tape and go, but I don't know how to fix my forefoot issues that I think are also caused by the stiff soles.

So with all that said, could anyone explain to me what is the point in having such a thick, stiff sole? Is all that stiffness and thickness really necessary to protect my feet from rock bruises? Is there some other issue I'm just not aware of, like side hilling, that requires such a stiff sole. I don't intend to use these boots to toe kick up a glacier with crampons.

I came to this conclusion today after 3 days of moderate rucking (60 lbs) in a row. Day one was with the Asolos on 4.8 miles , day two was with the Kenetreks on 4.8 miles and today was with my Danner Jackals on 6.0 miles, all on pavement. My feet were way more comfortable for much longer in the Jackals than the other 2 boots. Jackals are marketed as a light weight sneaker style stalking boot. The sole is soft, thin and very pliable, which allows the wearer to "feel" the terrain underfoot with almost no ankle support. Towards the end of the 6.0 miles my forefoot pad and heel pad started to ache a bit, but not nearly as much, nor as quickly with the other boots. I can see how such a soft sole with no ankle support would be problematic in the mountains, not to mention the crap tread depth / design.

Is this issue caused by the boots not being truly broken in? If so, it's too painful to continue to try to break them in by rucking. Instead, could I gently put them in a padded vice up to my forefoot area and fold them repeatedly along my forefoot pad area to loosen them up?

Or, can anyone recommend a boot that has decent ankle support, but a more flexible sole that is appropriate for Rocky Mountain bivy style elk hunting?

kad11

WKR
I've wondered the same thing as you; I bought a pair of Scarpa Zanskar boots last summer which are pretty decent quality. I couldn't get them to work after about 60-75 miles of trying to break my feet in to them. I just couldn't get used to the robotic feel (to me) of that really stiff sole, plus the heel slip, numb toes, and sore forefoot/ heels never subsided.

I went back to the tennis shoe style hiking boots (Oboz Bridgers) that I had used in the past. I found that I twisted my ankles/ knees a lot more with the stiffer-soled boots because I couldn't feel what was underneath me. These types of boots have worked for me in the Gallatins and Madisons of SW MT.

Agreed.... Thats why i have several pair

X3 - First year in awhile that I'll be hunting in boots as I usually just hunt in Salomon trail runners. These boots are very comfortable and not stiff soled like other high end boots that I've had.

jmez

WKR
Stiff soles protect your feet in steep terrain. Both side hilling and ascending/descending. Keeps your foot still in the boot and prevents the boot from twisting on your foot on steep sidehills. If you are getting blisters on flat ground it is more likely a fit issue. Your feet will be in bad shape when you get into steep stuff.

I'd give Lathrop and Sons a call. They will be able to help you.

OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
That's funny that y'all mention the Salomon Quest. I had read a bunch of reviews on here and elsewhere praising this boot for it's sneaker like comfort yet proper ankle support. I had already planned on going to the local outdoor store that stocks them tomorrow and running my story and theories by them to see what they have to say and to try them on.

jmez, that is what I have been lead to believe, but based on my theories posted above, I just can't understand how a better "fitting" boot with the same stiff sole is going to alleviate the pressure on the ball of my foot. So, I intend to take your advice and talk to the folks at Lathrop on Monday to get a 3rd opinion and see if they can help me make sense of it all.

husky390

WKR
Hootsma, I've had the same issues as you with stiff soled boots. I had a pair of Lowas that would tear up the bottom of my big toes and blister my heels. I put a lot of miles on those boots to try and break them in and finally I gave up and returned them. I tried on the Salomon's and they seemed nice but I ended up getting a pair of Cabela's Meindl Perfekt Hikers and so far they've been great. I wore them for three days at work and then hiked a 14'er on the fourth day with no issues. Also, the new model of their hikers come with a Vibram sole. Good luck to you and I agree it shouldn't be that hard to find a good pair of boots. I now only purchase from Cabela's or REI so I can return them if they don't work out.

Stiff soles protect your feet in steep terrain. Both side hilling and ascending/descending. Keeps your foot still in the boot and prevents the boot from twisting on your foot on steep sidehills. If you are getting blisters on flat ground it is more likely a fit issue. Your feet will be in bad shape when you get into steep stuff.

I'd give Lathrop and Sons a call. They will be able to help you.

This pretty much hit it. It's not the sole, the boots don't fit you. Stiff soles don't give you numb toes or make a heel slip. Poor fit does. My Lowa's are like a pair of tennis shoes, because they fit my feet.

Stiff soles will protect your feet in rugged and/or steep terrain with a heavier load. If your feet don't need that protection and support don't buy it. Don't just take if for gospel that because someone likes a certain boot that it's absolutely for you. A stiffer sole also makes it more difficult to walk quietly and feel the ground, so there are trade offs involved. If one boot fit and worked for everyone there wouldn't be hundreds of different styles.

I tried the Cabela's Perfekt Hikers and the fit sucked. I spent about 20 seconds with them on my foot before they went back in the box and back to Cabela's. Same with Kenetreks. Doesn't mean in any way they are bad boots or the style is bad.

Edit: Maybe you should look more at trekking style boots, which are lighter and have a more flexible sole. They typically don't have the same shank design that the heavier backpacking boots have, and are also made of lighter and more flexible materials. The Salomon Quest is considered a trekking boot.

yhudson

FNG
I agree with Jason. Stiff soles don't make your feet numb. I have some very stiff sole boots and I can wear them all day and not have an issue with numbness or pain (heel issues and steep climbs are another issue). This is only my opinion, base on recent experience. I have noticed that having stiff soles has protected both my plantar fascia and my calves.

I have a canyon I hike often when getting in hunt shape. Normally this hike gives my calves a major "pump". With stiff sole boots I've noticed very little taxing on my calves. Also with a good amount of weight on my back in the past I've developed what has been referred to as a "sprinter's injury" because my plantar fascia has over flexed. With stiff soles that does not happen.

I am still in the breakin period of my stiff sole boots. It sucks, and if it doesn't get better I'll hunt this year in my Danners.

OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Well, my desire for instant gratification got the better of me. Went by the outdoor store today to look at their selection, particularly the Saloman Quest. I explained my issues to their boot expert without mentioning the Salomons and that's what she brought out first. She addressed my heel blister issue by showing me the heals of the Salomons side by side to the other boots on the wall. There is an obvious and significant difference between the back of the boot of the Salomons and all the others. The heel cup on those things is very exaggerated compared to the others. I flexed the sole across the toes and twisted it along it's length and it was stiffer than I was expecting, but not quite as stout as the Scarpa Kinesis. I tried them on, and unlike my Kenetreks, I didn't have to endure rope burns trying to get them tight enough. They felt pretty good! I could stand on my toes an not have my heels lift, and they were stiff enough to prevent me from rolling my ankles when I stood on the sides of my feet. So I walked around the store in them for a while. As I stood in them, I was starting to feel some pressure on the outside of my right foot. I also did some forward stomping trying to force my foot forward to simulate coming down hill. My toes were touching the ends during this exercise. I opted to try on 11s instead of 10 1/2. Ahhhh, that did it. I walked around for a while more, verified their return policy, and bought them. Came home, put my Synergy insoles in them and put them back on, along with my 60 lb ruck and went for a walk.

You guys were right! My boots did not fit. I just didn't understand how they didn't fit, and now I think I do. Both the Kenetreks and Asolos are too narrow! I've been able to get by with them for the past years because my local whitetail hunting load was light and distance was short. The boots felt tight when I put them on, particularly the right one, but as I walked in them, they would warm up, and loosen up, along with my foot and things would settle out ok. However, adding miles and doubling the weight was too much for the boot to stretch or my foot to shrink. I think the weight and the miles actually made my foot expand and compounded the issue. I'm not sure of what exactly is going on in my forefoot when it's not allowed to expand like it wants to, but I think that is the source of my pain. I guess I was expecting for the outside of my foot to hurt if the boots were too narrow, not the ball of my foot, so I didn't even consider the width to be an issue.

The Salomans are visibly wider compared to my other boots and they feel wider on my feet as well. I had absolutely no pain anywhere in my feet for the whole 4.8 miles. I actually enjoyed it and felt I could have gone another lap. I already have a mild blister on my left heel and my right heel is rubbed raw but no actual blister. I didn't tape either heel before I left. I just put my liners and Smartwools on and went. Even with an existing blister, I had no heel discomfort, hotspots or slippage.

There is a swale on the side of the road that provides a good slope to sidehill on for a ways. I tried that towards the end of my walk when my feet were pretty sweaty, and the boots felt stable on the ground and my foot felt stable inside the boot in spite of all the slick sweat.

I wish I had known better when I bought those other boots. That's a $750 lesson in boots! I guess the bright side is, I got it worked out before my trip.

I want to thank y'all for all of your help and suggestions. I think this thread just saved my elk hunting trip.

Last edited:
Glad you got it figured out. You should never have to cinch laces down super tight to keep your heel from slipping. If you do, the bootws don't fit. There are different lacing methods you can use that are much more effective at locking in your heel than using the incredible hulk lacing method.

wagnon89

FNG
Well, my desire for instant gratification got the better of me. Went by the outdoor store today to look at their selection, particularly the Saloman Quest. I explained my issues to their boot expert without mentioning the Salomons and that's what she brought out first. She addressed my heel blister issue by showing me the heals of the Salomons side by side to the other boots on the wall. There is an obvious and significant difference between the back of the boot of the Salomons and all the others. The heel cup on those things is very exaggerated compared to the others. I flexed the sole across the toes and twisted it along it's length and it was stiffer than I was expecting, but not quite as stout as the Scarpa Kinesis. I tried them on, and unlike my Kenetreks, I didn't have to endure rope burns trying to get them tight enough. They felt pretty good! I could stand on my toes an not have my heels lift, and they were stiff enough to prevent me from rolling my ankles when I stood on the sides of my feet. So I walked around the store in them for a while. As I stood in them, I was starting to feel some pressure on the outside of my right foot. I also did some forward stomping trying to force my foot forward to simulate coming down hill. My toes were touching the ends during this exercise. I opted to try on 11s instead of 10 1/2. Ahhhh, that did it. I walked around for a while more, verified their return policy, and bought them. Came home, put my Synergy insoles in them and put them back on, along with my 60 lb ruck and went for a walk.

You guys were right! My boots did not fit. I just didn't understand how they didn't fit, and now I think I do. Both the Kenetreks and Asolos are too narrow! I've been able to get by with them for the past years because my local whitetail hunting load was light and distance was short. The boots felt tight when I put them on, particularly the right one, but as I walked in them, they would warm up, and loosen up, along with my foot and things would settle out ok. However, adding miles and doubling the weight was too much for the boot to stretch or my foot to shrink. I think the weight and the miles actually made my foot expand and compounded the issue. I'm not sure of what exactly is going on in my forefoot when it's not allowed to expand like it wants to, but I think that is the source of my pain. I guess I was expecting for the outside of my foot to hurt if the boots were too narrow, not the ball of my foot, so I didn't even consider the width to be an issue.

The Salomans are visibly wider compared to my other boots and they feel wider on my feet as well. I had absolutely no pain anywhere in my feet for the whole 4.8 miles. I actually enjoyed it and felt I could have gone another lap. I already have a mild blister on my left heel and my right heel is rubbed raw but no actual blister. I didn't tape either heel before I left. I just put my liners and Smartwools on and went. Even with an existing blister, I had no heel discomfort, hotspots or slippage.

There is a swale on the side of the road that provides a good slope to sidehill on for a ways. I tried that towards the end of my walk when my feet were pretty sweaty, and the boots felt stable on the ground and my foot felt stable inside the boot in spite of all the slick sweat.

I wish I had known better when I bought those other boots. That's a $750 lesson in boots! I guess the bright side is, I got it worked out before my trip.

I want to thank y'all for all of your help and suggestions. I think this thread just saved my elk hunting trip.

That is exactly what happened to me. I spent a ton on boots and just lived with the not perfect fit. Then I tried the Salomon's and realized that I've got a wide ass forefoot and that was my whole problem. The Quests are awesome on my feet.

I wish I would have realized there were other boots besides Danners before I was 35. Buying a pair of Lowas on a whim was one of the best things I ever did for my feet. The moment I put them on I could tell these were "the boots". Properly fitting footwear is a heck of a realization when it finally happens.

OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I fell into the Danner trap as well. I've owned 5 pairs in the past. My first pair were their Light II, which at the time, I thought were a good boot, even with all the heel blisters . I didn't really care for any of the others I owned. Finally broke away from them with the attitude that boots just hurt. I did a 4.8 mile ruck today with an 85 lb pack wearing my new Salomons. I now realize boots are not suppose to hurt my feet. What a revelation! Unfortunately, that's the only place on my body that didn't hurt.

Last edited:
Spring/summer 2011 I tried both the Kenetrek Extremes and the Asolo Sasslongs. The Kenetreks with 75+ miles on them tore up my heels aweful! And I hated the stiffness of the boots. The asolos fit much better and never gave me a blister but they had zero paddings in the heel cup and after a few days of hiking they made me feel like I had my heels up against a concrete wall. Again no blisters but bad enough I'd stand with my toes downhill to relieve some pressure off my heels. Made a switch to some HanWags and they were phenomenal. More of a hiker style boot, lots of flex but I've never had ankle issues and they felt like stepping into a cloud every time. Put probably 300 miles on them before I got them hot near a fire and the toe rand separated and then I herculined them and got another 100 miles out of them.

All the boots I've mentioned have gotten awesome reviews from many reputable sources, just depends on foot type! Be cool if Rokslide put up a bootfit page where people could measure widths of heels and forefoots and say what boots fit them and what boots didn't. I have long narrow feet, narrow heels narrow forefoot and the hanwags were definitely the best fit for myself.
I've pretty much decided that I don't need nor want a stiff "mountaneering" style boot for hunting and will continue to use a hiker style boot. Having comfortable feet in the back country is as important as a good sleep system if you ask me... nothing will end your hunt quicker than miserable feet or sleep!

Mike

_Nick_

WKR
Stiff soled shoes/boots do not work well for me. I generally use a lightweight hiking shoe with no ill effects.

Yup. Nothing tires me out as much as putting 10 miles on with 2lb clodhoppers. I've switched to trail running and backpacking in minimalist New Balance shoes... the transition has left my feet and ankles much stronger. The lighter weight certainly helps minimize hiking fatigue as well.

Eagle

WKR
I'm in the trail running shoe fan club as well. Stiff soled boots just do not work with my feet or my way of walking apparently. Currently using the Inov-8 Roclite 295's.

MattB

WKR
Some terrain simply demands stiff, heavy boots, but frankly I think a lot of guys (myself included) use too much boot for the conditions. I tend to err on the side of too much rather than not enough.