Kuiu's Grand Dru GTX Boot

Mat the best info I've seen is from AKShane above in this thread, they are a pretty niche boot and the sector of the hunting community that will use these is probably pretty small. I did try them on, they were a great fit for me. I run Lowa Tibet and am just now breaking in a pair of the tech lite hunters. They are a very very hardy boot, pretty stiff and for me to much boot for the type of hunting I do, while certain areas I hunt may warrant this type, my approaches are just to long for me to tolerate this type of boot constantly. As with anything fit per individual will be the deciding factor, because there will be zero gripes about how well this boot is made.

Zamberlan bit the Kuiu apple with a specialty boot too...the results confirm my point. Go ahead, attempt to order a pair. http://store.kuiu.com/zamberlan-kuiu-pamir-gtx-rr-p/87001.htm

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Zamberlan bit the Kuiu apple with a specialty boot too...the results confirm my point. Go ahead, attempt to order a pair. http://store.kuiu.com/zamberlan-kuiu-pamir-gtx-rr-p/87001.htm
Again, nothing to do with boots, on your feet, in the mountains. They stopped carrying that boot quite a while ago since they brought in Scarpa........so not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Got to keep up on your latest Kuiu news :)

Back to boots - I've been looking hard at the Grad Dru, but the discussion early in the thread seems to confirm they are just too much boot for most of my hunts, I prefer a lighter weight boot. I'm leaning towards the Triolet or more likely the Scarpa Charmoz to get a stiffer boot than my La Sportiva Omegas (awesome boot by the way), which are a lot like a Triolet, without the 3/4 shank.

Anyone have experience with the Charmoz that can chime in? Reviews are all pretty positive, but those folks aren't chasing elk, goats, etc.

husky390

WKR
Bringing this back from the dead. I just ordered a pair today and will let you guy's know what I think.

I'm a fan of Scarpas as it seems they're the only boot that's been able to handle my weight and abuse. So far I'm using the Kinesis which started out awesome but I'm now looking for a new, larger volume insole since they've stretched a little and I have the Triolet which fit better for me than the Charmoz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up a pair of the Grand Dru's from Barney's Sports Chalet up here in Anchorage. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair a year ago but didn't have any big mountain hunts planned out so I put it off a year. Only have 12 mile on the new Grand Dru's so far. Did 7 miles with a 2,000 ft vertical last Saturday. No hot spots and they were surprisingly comfortable for not being broken in yet.

I've owned the Charmoz, then the Triolet, and now on to the Grand Dru's. The Dru's will give you some more room in the toes but still keep that good ankle fit of the Triolet.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I did another 6 miles and 2,100 vertical today in the Grand Dru's. I veared off the trail and climbed 500 feet up the mountain through the grass and tundra. The boots toe in very nicely, as you would expect a stiff mountain boot to do. Sidehilling felt good as well. I only had a 20 lb pack so the real side hill test will be how much support they maintain with 60 lbs on your back. I'm really liking these boots. Too bad I have to wait so long for hunting season.

Muttly

WKR
Interesting seeing this one back up, was mostly what AK Shane and AK Troutbum wrote that made me decide to try the Grand Dru instead of sticking with plan A, the Wrangell boots. Got em this spring, tried Sole, Superfeet Green, and settled on Superfeet Orange for them. An insole with a scoshe more resilient heel with a little more heel cup might be even better, for this kid..
So far, had the boots since this spring, been tramping up and down the mountains in SE, they are actually pretty comfortable. Been out in some pretty good rain on occasion, so far, no wet feet. Don't think I,'ve been in too much danger of rolling an ankle.

At this point, the more I wear em, better I like them.

husky390

WKR
I finally got around to trying these on in the house. First impression, nice boot, built like my Triolet's except these have this funny double tongue thing which I'm not sure what its for and they have a lower lace lock which is interesting. My impression is that this is a larger volume boot compared to my Triolets and Kinesis as I had to wear a liner sock with my merino hiking socks to get the fit right. I'll have to get a better insole or thicker socks to solve this problem. I'll probably go the insole route since I've already hammered the insole that came in my Kinesis boots. I also like how I have the option to wear thicker socks in these if I need to. It should be a good boot.

240c90d3e27490fc173fa1c41e983a0d.jpg

e29bb1b04838c0454743a670070b5ea9.jpg

Great boots

I finally got around to trying these on in the house. First impression, nice boot, built like my Triolet's except these have this funny double tongue thing which I'm not sure what its for and they have a lower lace lock which is interesting. My impression is that this is a larger volume boot compared to my Triolets and Kinesis as I had to wear a liner sock with my merino hiking socks to get the fit right. I'll have to get a better insole or thicker socks to solve this problem. I'll probably go the insole route since I've already hammered the insole that came in my Kinesis boots. I also like how I have the option to wear thicker socks in these if I need to. It should be a good boot.

great boots, I have had the boots for about a year, couple of 5 day mountain hunts in Co. and the boot is great. It is a stiff boot, but very comfortable. I need a stiff boot for my feet, it make side stepping and toe climbing easy. I have had Meindle, Kenetrek la Sportiva all of which are great boots but this is the next level as far as tough bullet proof mountain boot. I have a narrow heel and it fits great with thick or thin socks.

Deserat

FNG
A year late, but the double tongue is to fine tune the fit of the boot in the ankle and forefoot area. Just an FYI in case anyone comes across this thread like me.

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
These are not insulated. They are gore tex lined. If you want insulated get the Mont blanc

Muttly

WKR
Pretty moderate temperature swing in the banana belt of SE Alaska, not much if ever over 75° in the summer, barely gets below 30 in the winter. Wear mine year round, same wool socks summer or winter, comfortable. Would probably start to suck pretty quick in Fairbanks/ Dawson cold, but just fine into moderate cold.
Turned into my comfy shoes last winter when I broke a couple toes, not much flex in the sole..

JP100

WKR
As others have said un insulated boot. I got a pair of these for this season and would not buy again.(didnt buy the 'Kuiu boots" just regular Scarpa Grand dru GTX)

Pros-Wide toe box,very roomy and comfortable for wide feet, good water proofness and stiffness. Geat boot to wear.

Cons- the rubber sole is VERY soft, I have big chunks missing after 3-4 months use, rand material is soft aswell.

My go to boot before these was Asolo Aconcagua. A cheaper boot, far more durable and just as good in the steep stuff.

No use buying a boot from Kuiu that is made by Scarpa, Scarpa sells the same boot. My 2 cents.

deadwolf

WKR
As others have said un insulated boot. I got a pair of these for this season and would not buy again.(didnt buy the 'Kuiu boots" just regular Scarpa Grand dru GTX)

Pros-Wide toe box,very roomy and comfortable for wide feet, good water proofness and stiffness. Geat boot to wear.

Cons- the rubber sole is VERY soft, I have big chunks missing after 3-4 months use, rand material is soft aswell.

My go to boot before these was Asolo Aconcagua. A cheaper boot, far more durable and just as good in the steep stuff.

No use buying a boot from Kuiu that is made by Scarpa, Scarpa sells the same boot. My 2 cents.

When the Grand Dru first came out, KUIU had exclusive rights for about a year to be the only distributor of that boot. Then, they started developing boots with Scarpa specifically with their input and wants, that are similar yet different to current Scarpa models. So, not necessarily apples to apples, as you can only buy that particular boot from them. In the case of the Grand Dru, yes, now you can buy them directly from Scarpa or anywhere else, but not initially. And on sale at KUIU would be a pretty good place to buy them right now : )

JP100

WKR
When the Grand Dru first came out, KUIU had exclusive rights for about a year to be the only distributor of that boot. Then, they started developing boots with Scarpa specifically with their input and wants, that are similar yet different to current Scarpa models. So, not necessarily apples to apples, as you can only buy that particular boot from them. In the case of the Grand Dru, yes, now you can buy them directly from Scarpa or anywhere else, but not initially. And on sale at KUIU would be a pretty good place to buy them right now : )

They may have had rights in the USA. Honestly I dont believe the Kuiu hype over the boots. Scarpa is a big company and has been around for a long time. Kuiu likes the claim a boot as 'theirs'. Like the Rebel Ultra, pretty sure it was designed for and used by Uli Steck well before Kuiu came to it.

Thats my opinion after being caught up in the Kuiu hype then seeing ALOT of failures in the field on 'inovative' products.

If you can get them there cheaper for sure its a good deal.

deadwolf

WKR
They may have had rights in the USA. Honestly I dont believe the Kuiu hype over the boots. Scarpa is a big company and has been around for a long time. Kuiu likes the claim a boot as 'theirs'. Like the Rebel Ultra, pretty sure it was designed for and used by Uli Steck well before Kuiu came to it.

Thats my opinion after being caught up in the Kuiu hype then seeing ALOT of failures in the field on 'inovative' products.

If you can get them there cheaper for sure its a good deal.

In regards to the KUIU Rebel Ultra or Rebel K....KUIU based that boot on the Scarpa Rebel Pro Gtx, (designed by Uli Steck, R.I.P.) and changed a few things to suit their needs. Boot stiffness, the side material of the boot to something more durable, colors of course, and there is something else I’m forgetting right now. So, a few changes from the boot Scarpa sells to the one KUIU sells. Is it anything dramatic, I sure don’t think so, just a mini collaboration if you will between the two companies.

nrh6.7

WKR
The Grand Dru has been around since 2013 at least, just in other markets. I highly doubt that Kuiu had input on anything, other than working out a deal with Scarpa to be the initial outlet in the USA.

Regarding the other boots they have "collaborated" on, Scarpa already knows how to make great boots, just as does Zamberlan so other than maybe offering them a special color I don't see them altering their designs.

eta: deadwolf, agree with your post above and wasn't aiming at you.

Last edited: