Sesamoiditis

Its terrible. I had sesamoiditis a few years back . I had been trail running consistently for 10 plus years and it was normal for me to go run 10-12 miles with a few 1000 vertical and I NEVER had any foot problems. What changed ? I was an idiot and drank the "minimalist" Koolaid starting to use very lightweight (7 oz or less) shoes that offered little forefoot protection. I had used lightweight (9 oz zero drop or minimal drop) shoes for years but just went to light and had a morning were the sesamoid region in the ball of the foot just proximal to the great toe was very sore and tender. It DID NOT get better with light running and after reading up on it and seeing a podiatrist he recommended no running, hiking , or even long walks and wearing a full boot splint or a VERY rigid shoe such as a HOKA or mountaineering boot when doing any walking or activity. I also got an ultrasound guided injection in the area of pain. The splint type footwear and no significant mileage is what really saved me. The injection Im not sure did much. I wore the very rigid footwear at work for 1 year and did not run for a year. I am pretty much 100 % but went back to what always worked especially when I was putting in alot of miles when in the military and thats wearing stiff boots when putting in alot of miles which minimizes that part of the foot bending / stressing as much.

Blackcow

WKR
I got it in 2009 while guiding a late elk hunt. It happened on the 1st day for a 7 day hunt. I was wearing light soled boots, and I was standing on onem rock and slipped off, landing on a smaller rock. I ended up letting it go for way too long. I continued to hunt and guide on it for 120+days a year, with the ball of my foot by my big toe on fire, until 2012! It would ease off, and flare up. When I finally went to the podiatrist and had x-rays done, I found I have actually fractured one of the sesamoids. SO.... long story short, steroid shot, had my foot immobilized flat for two weeks, and all good. Sort of. You have to avoid anything that puts a lot of pressure on the ball of your foot quickly (jump shot?) Or for any length of time (squatting down?) If it flares up, I tape a folded gauze pad behind the joint and tape my big toe straight and walk around as flat footed as I can, and try to stay off of it as much as I can.
I now own one pair of tennis shoes, that I only wear around the house. Other than that, my lightest boots are Lowa renegades and Salomon 4d's, that I wear to work. For the woods it's tibets or similar, or stiffer, depending. For insoles, either the orthotics the doc made, which I despise, or Sole signature EV ultras. Superfeet never really helped, and I've tried the Green and orange, fwiw.

jljmonky

FNG
Necro posting to see how everyone has come out of this. I just had a Sesamoid removed and am looking for legit recovery time experiences...

akshayv

Banned
I've ever had, but they are qualitatively the most comfortable walking shoe I've ever put my feet into. The shoes were true to size, and were "out of the box" comfortable the first time I put them on. I've experienced such intense foot pain that in the past I had to curtail my gardening activities. orthofeet shoes have given me back my gardening life. I can now stand again for hours without discomfort. I would definitely buy these shoes again.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks maybe I'll look at at stiffer boot, anyone have any recommendations?
Call the guys at Lathrop and son's, very knowledgeable. The should be able to point you in the right direction

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk