Interesting new boot option - La Sportiva Trango Trk GTX

No stiffener in the sole. TRKs have a soft midsole, way soft, but same sole. I can't comment on the water tightness between the two.

Like stated, the TRKs are all aroynd much less stiff and the softer midsole offers more cushion.

Cubes have a vibram One outsole of harder compound compared to the Mulaz outsole and soft compound of the TRK.

Cubes seem to do well with water thus far for me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bringing this back up - I actually have a pair now, definitely a roomier fit in the toe box compared with my other sportiva stuff.

that is encouraging :) I have had several La Sportiva trail runners and only one has had enough room in the toe box for me (the Akasha)- they all had great outsoles- fairly aggressive with really good sticky rubber

DaveC

WKR
Bringing this back up - I actually have a pair now, definitely a roomier fit in the toe box compared with my other sportiva stuff. But Kodiakfly nailed it, they have a petty soft mid sole, I was hoping for more stiffness instead of so much soft foam.

I have a different perspective, of someone who always backpacks and hunts in trail runners. The TRKs are super stiff, I'd have no issues running strap on crampons with these. Mountain boot lite is a good description. These are very different than Salomon 4Ds and other boots in that class. Just enough flex and rocker for efficient hiking. Frankly if you're not ice climbing I can't see using anything stiffer.

chessie

FNG
Have put a lot of miles on these in the last 3 months. Surprised to hear of all the leaks, so far mine have been good, but am guessing its only a matter of time. I really like them. Probably the closest I've found to a good pair of "middle of the road" boots

ontarget7

WKR
I have been impressed with the LaSportiva Trango Cube GTX's. My test run was sorta late in the year for my archery hunts but have about 200+ miles on them now and holding up well. I was recommended by a buddy to go the next size up and would definitely recommend that.
Will definitely be testing them further for 2017

63c423729233483f98750a59e408dddb.jpg

f973c16fe64cf0bd8e59cacf02f74dce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ontarget7

WKR
Those cubes are awesome boots, they were just a little shy on cushioning for me.

These leather versions of the trek intrigue me, might be more sturdy or waterproof but you'd need to order them from a European seller.
La Sportiva Trango Trk Leather Gtx - Man | La Sportiva(R)
La Sportiva Trango Trek Micro Evo Gtx - Man | La Sportiva(R)

Not sure those would be much different for cushioning.

Did you happen to try a different insole ?

Not sure those would be much different for cushioning.

Did you happen to try a different insole ?

The TRK version seemed pretty cushy in rei, the leather version appears to have the same sole build, hard to say on the micro evos but I'd wager they have more cushion than the cubes.

I ran the cubes with black superfeet and tried copper as well. Copper helped a little but were a little too high volume for the trango fit.

I'm happy right now with hanwag ancash and thinking my sportiva karakorum HC gtx will work well when something more burly is wanted (which is rare).

La Sportiva Karakorum Hc - Man | La Sportiva(R)

trdhunter

WKR
Anyone have experience with the TRK's and cubes? Rei had trk's and they felt good bit I would like something little stiffer but same fit. How much stiffer are the cubes?

Cubes are a lot stiffer, very little flex at all in the sole. The uppers are stiffer too but still fairly flexible for a mountaineering boot.

texag10

WKR
I bought a pair of the trango trks from REI. They seems to be what I need, light, more support than the trail runners I normally wear in the woods, and I'm hoping the rubber rands and TPU coating give it the true waterproof nature that has been missing from the other synthetic upper/goretex boots I've tried. Mixed reviews here and elsewher are what led me to buy from REI, I wanted the return policy in case the uppers started flaking or they leaked.

Today was the initial use. La Sportivas seem to fit me well, and these are no exception. Heels were locked in climbing steep banks out of creek beds, toes didn't hit the front coming down, traction was great on mud, wet grass and a carpet of soaked leaves a few inches thick. I stood in a gently flowing stream for a few minutes to see how they did. After taking them off, my socks and the interior of the boot were totally dry. No exterior water from hours in the sodden oak forests had made it in, and enough sweat vapor made it out that I felt comfy at all times. I'm very happy with these so far and will be incredibly bummed if they drop off from here.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a pair of the trango trks from REI. They seems to be what I need, light, more support than the trail runners I normally wear in the woods, and I'm hoping the rubber rands and TPU coating give it the true waterproof nature that has been missing from the other synthetic upper/goretex boots I've tried. Mixed reviews here and elsewher are what led me to buy from REI, I wanted the return policy in case the uppers started flaking or they leaked.

Today was the initial use. La Sportivas seem to fit me well, and these are no exception. Heels were locked in climbing steep banks out of creek beds, toes didn't hit the front coming down, traction was great on mud, wet grass and a carpet of soaked leaves a few inches thick. I stood in a gently flowing stream for a few minutes to see how they did. After taking them off, my socks and the interior of the boot were totally dry. No exterior water from hours in the sodden oak forests had made it in, and enough sweat vapor made it out that I felt comfy at all times. I'm very happy with these so far and will be incredibly bummed if they drop off from here.

Did you step up a full size with them? Will be picking these up soon, and without an REI close I can't try them on. Usually a size 42 and am planning on stepping up to a 43.

texag10

WKR
Did you step up a full size with them? Will be picking these up soon, and without an REI close I can't try them on. Usually a size 42 and am planning on stepping up to a 43.

I did not, I wear 10.5 in most brands and I was a 10.5 (44 EU) in these. I have it easy because my favorite pair of trail runners are La Sportiva C-lite 2s so I had a good point of comparison.

I also wear a 10.5 in New Balance. Length is about the same, width is relatively narrow, but this last has a lot more room in the toe box than my trail runners and the lacing gives good adjustability. I can wear them with no slop with a liner sock only or be fine with heavyweight smartwool ski socks.

I did seam seal the the stitching on mine going up each side of the tongue. I don't know if they need it, but that's the only seam on the upper that won't be covered by my gaiters.

ETA: I also ditched the stock insoles immediately. The left boot had a weird lump directly under the heel that went away when I put my spenco insoles in.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you're looking at the trk and would like leather (don't see the leather ones offered here) take a peek at the La Sportiva Omegas- they are at STP pretty cheap; not identical to the trk but very, very similar

texag10

WKR
Some of the reviews I've read mentioned the TPU coating (red parts of the boot) peeling back from the fabric. I'm starting to see this in my boots where a lot of bending/creasing takes place. Waterproofing still total. Not going to return them yet, but will keep an eye on the problem.

I can't help but think it La Sportiva spent a few more dollars per boot and raised the price they'd still be relatively affordable and buyers would have a more consistently positive experience.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
possibly another reason to peek at the Omega- nothing to peel on the leather upper

texag10

WKR
I looked at the omega, I would like a more substantial toe rand and a heel rand. If I end up returning the Trango TRKs I will probably try a lowa camino next.

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
Put those EVO's through the ringer last season and they still have their place but under load i found them too weak. I'm using the Crispi Summits currently and they are a bit stiffer and feel they are gonna be what i'd hoped the EVO's would be.

Bringing this back up - I actually have a pair now, definitely a roomier fit in the toe box compared with my other sportiva stuff. But Kodiakfly nailed it, they have a petty soft mid sole, I was hoping for more stiffness instead of so much soft foam. That said, they are crazy light and a good bump up from trail runners.
250c70c7f5ca539b7ec7a2dc8ff6fd4e.jpg

I saw somewhere they might be releasing a "trango tower" which is supposed to be between the trango mountaineering boots and backpacking. Hopefully they do, that would be the ticket.

Interestingly enough, they've got trango cubes printed in kryptek camo right now....

Lawnboi

WKR
I just picked up a pair on an impulse buy.

I can see where they would wet out fast. The goretex booty in them only goes mid foot on the tongue.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
c1df462dcd56210183e5c59ba664df80.jpg

This Mexico trip was the first hunt using the Cubes. Super impressed with these boots. Narrow heel locks in very well with their lacing system. Didn't have any rubbing on the back of my heels, which is where I usually get it. A little bit of average break in rubbing, but not bad at all for my feet. Looking forward to using them more this year.