Interesting new boot option - La Sportiva Trango Trk GTX

How do the Trango TRX compare to Salomon mid Ultras? I tried them both on in REI and I was surprised that the Mid Ultras seemed just as supportive as the Trango TRX. If they perform very similarly I’m the field probably just got with Mid Ultras since you can find them on sale.

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a pair of the TRXs at REI today- loved the fit but have concerns about all the issues in this thread. I used to wear an Asolo Drifter but over time my toes are cramped in the toe box. I'm also trying to size up in the Asolo as i did like them being stiffer and more durable.

Anyone else out there with experience with the Asolo Drifters that can comment and compare against the TRX?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just ordered a pair from campsaver- with their coupon it came in under $100- heck I pay that much for trail runners occasionally :D

Lawnboi

WKR
I ended up returning mine as they just did not fit my feet. Wish that wasn't the case though as I really liked every other aspect of the boot. Anyone know of a comparable boot made by a different company?

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Since I started this thread I’m going to add onto it with another similar boot, which is a more robust model meant to be between a full summer mountaineering boot and a backpacking model:

I’ll say upfront these are just observations, and I’m trying these out, not recommending them as any kind of end all be all solution.

Out of the box, the plastic overlays on the seamless bootie and way beefier than the Trango trk’s, and the rand is way heavier, with plastic overlays between the heel and toe rubber rands. The midsole is PU vs foam on the Trk’s, which is a huge improvement. The actual bootie/synthetic material seems much more substantial than the trk’s. I also have a pair of crispi Colorado’s that haven’t left the house, which seem way bulkier/tougher but have way more toe rocker. The Trango tech’s are almost like gloves they fit so tight to your feet, very low profile and light.

After spending some time with a 45 lb pack and walking in the mountains here’s what I’ve found with these.
- the are stiffer, and do decent on a side hill, but still will flex underfoot when you get on them, unlike a 3 season mountaineering boot like a charmoz.
- the lacing system has 2 upper points and no lock for the lower zone, which I think is a nice feature to have.
- the tongue material is really low bulk, and integrated with the front of the boot.
- the top of the boot is a sticky stretch material that hugs your leg. So far I like this feature.
- they are rockered on the toe a bit like the a Trango Cube, but it’s still a pretty flat walking motion while I’m breaking them in. Your foot almost slaps the ground since the midsoles are stiffer than a hiking boot. I think it’s a pretty decent compromise stiffness wise.
- I’m still using factory insoles, but I’ll say my toes got a bit sore due to lack of cushion. I’ve had that issue on any pair of boots I’ve owned besides trail runners. That’s the sacrifice with boots like this that are built for precision footwork and weight. I think the Colorado’s from crispi that have a thicker midsole under the toe area would be much more
comfortable for wear during an extended backpack hunt.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have a pair of the Trango Tech GTX on the way, excited to try them out. A boot that bridges the gap from the TRK to the CUBE would be valuable.