Interesting new boot option - La Sportiva Trango Trk GTX

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've been looking at lightweight mountaineering boots for a while, like the Scarpa Charmoz, La sportiva Trango S series, Salewa Raven Combi Gtx, etc. There's things I liked about all 3 of those, but I never grabbed a pair because I'm not exclusively above tree line when I'm hunting. I've been searching for a light boot that is stiffer than my La Sportiva Omega GTX's, which are great boots, but not stiff enough after a couple dawn to dusk days. I'm trying out a pair of Boulder X mid GTX's at the moment for a light, stiff boot. They deal with a heavy pack well.

La Sportiva just released the Trango Trk GTX (a reincarnation) which is a "softer" version of their lightest mountaineering boot with a more flexible midsole. Perfect.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one on here that doesn't need a full blown mountaineering boot all of the time (they certainly have their place) and thought I would share, this seems to fit the bill for my Septembers at least.

WRO

WKR
I did a test drive in a set yesterday, I think they'd make a great early season boot. That being said, the triolets for 100.00 off took my money.

kodiakfly

WKR
I had an old pair them and for me, they're really just hiking boots and didn't have enough "ass" for me. I'm a Sportiva guy all the way. I love em. But I wear a pair of Eigers or an old pair of Lhotes just around town. So for hunting, I really like a mountaineering boot. I too am looking at an early season boot instead of my Karkorums. Maybe a Trango or a Scarpa.

But I could for sure see these as a viable early season, light hunting boot. I'll take a look at them next time I'm in Anchorage if they have them.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Bringing this back up - I actually have a pair now, definitely a roomier fit in the toe box compared with my other sportiva stuff. But Kodiakfly nailed it, they have a petty soft mid sole, I was hoping for more stiffness instead of so much soft foam. That said, they are crazy light and a good bump up from trail runners.
250c70c7f5ca539b7ec7a2dc8ff6fd4e.jpg

I saw somewhere they might be releasing a "trango tower" which is supposed to be between the trango mountaineering boots and backpacking. Hopefully they do, that would be the ticket.

Interestingly enough, they've got trango cubes printed in kryptek camo right now....

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Actually looking at the trango tower boot press releases, it's a full replacement of the "red boot" trango evo, and is supposed to have a stiffer sole.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These caught my eye as well but i just picked up a pair of salomon x alp MTNs to cover the same ground. My scarpa charmoz are a bit to stiff for anything Im currently doing.

mtnkid85

WKR
I just went and tried these on, I think they'll be my next boot. Definitely a roomier toe box than my other Sportiva boots, which might be nice for cold glassing sessions.

Tried these things on in REI today and really like them. The rubber on the soles is seriously gummy as far as I could tell on their rock mound tester deal in the store. They are still stiffer than quests.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been looking at these as well. I've got the Scarpa Charmoz and really like them but am looking for a little softer boot for some hunts. Can anyone tell me how much softer the La Sportvia Trango Cube boots are compared to the Charmoz? Like a noticeable difference. Deciding between the Cubes and the TRK's.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm hunting in the trk's right now. They are plush, too soft for what I prefer. The omega gtx is just a bit better, has a small stiffening plate. I think the trk's have too soft of a mid sole, too tennis shoe like.

I've been looking at these as well. I've got the Scarpa Charmoz and really like them but am looking for a little softer boot for some hunts. Can anyone tell me how much softer the La Sportvia Trango Cube boots are compared to the Charmoz? Like a noticeable difference. Deciding between the Cubes and the TRK's.

I also have the charmoz and they are a little too much boot for me. The Cubes are slightly softer and noticable better on flat ground than charmoz (just from walking around rei). The TRK's are way softer as mentioned above.

I think I'll get some cubes to replace the charmoz. I wish a guy could find the hylander colored cubes on sale like you can the gaudy rainbow colored ones..

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Ran the subject boot for 4 days this past week, a shorter 3 day hunt the week prior. Both had a couple days of rain/snow. Even with OR crocs on, I completely soaked through the boot. I feel like a treated leather boot may have faired better. It's amazing how long these boots will stay wet once soaked through.

After using them is steep grassy terrain, shale fields, snow/rain, and general off trail cruising around, I've concluded they don't straddle the trekking boot / mountaineering boot categories at all.

The soles are really great, especially noticeable in wet weather/stream crossings. They are very comfortable to walk in and have good volume adjustment for the upper. But on your feet for 4 days straight, not the boot I'd choose.

Ran the subject boot for 4 days this past week, a shorter 3 day hunt the week prior. Both had a couple days of rain/snow. Even with OR crocs on, I completely soaked through the boot. I feel like a treated leather boot may have faired better. It's amazing how long these boots will stay wet once soaked through.

After using them is steep grassy terrain, shale fields, snow/rain, and general off trail cruising around, I've concluded they don't straddle the trekking boot / mountaineering boot categories at all.

The soles are really great, especially noticeable in wet weather/stream crossings. They are very comfortable to walk in and have good volume adjustment for the upper. But on your feet for 4 days straight, not the boot I'd choose.

That's some good info! I was looking at these. But I want something that keeps my foot dry!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Same for me on the leaking....love the boots, but they leak like it's their job!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I also have the charmoz and they are a little too much boot for me. The Cubes are slightly softer and noticable better on flat ground than charmoz (just from walking around rei). The TRK's are way softer as mentioned above.

I think I'll get some cubes to replace the charmoz. I wish a guy could find the hylander colored cubes on sale like you can the gaudy rainbow colored ones..

Following up, did my first hike tonight in Trango Cubes with a weighted pack. The sole has more "rocker" in them than Charmoz but it is very close in stiffness. Still got a bit of the "bionic man" walk in the maintained flats. The ankle portion seems slightly less stiff in Trango Cubes than Charmoz and Cubes are significantly easier on my heels (narrow flat feet). They fit great. I think I'm set on a 1-2 punch with these and the Salomon X-Alp MTNs.

Last edited:

mtnkid85

WKR
I went ahead and purchased a pair of these and just returned from my first real trip in them.
5 days of varied terrain and weather. Every thing from 50* cranking out miles on well established trails to light wet snow over loose scree to consistent light rain off trail in tall wet grass. All with a average 40-50lb pack weight.

They performed admirably for me.

Water proofing did not seem to be an issue. Though I really only had a single day of really wet weather. It was what I view as the worst kind; a night and all day of gentle rain walking off trail in wet grass/timber. Drying time seemed to be about what I would expect but again the boots never really got saturated.
This is as much boot as I personally want for a hunting/hiking boot. Plenty of stiffness and support while still being able to maintain a natural walking stride. In comparison I spend most of my time on summer trips in a pair of La Sportiva Raptor trail runners or explorer approach shoes and as such, I generally prefer a lighter somewhat more flexible option when it comes time to "boot up" in the fall.

In comparison I do have plenty of experience in stiff boots as well. Through the winter I approach and climb in a pair of La Sportivas Nepal Evos as well as ski and approach/boot in a pair of Scarpa Mastrales. So I do have a base line of knowing how much boot I want.

Anyway thought I would throw my two cents in here as well.

attachment.php

View attachment 40658