Scarpa Boots

Takeem406

WKR
I bough a pair of NI Kenetreks last fall and theyve been ok. I believe I got the right size but my ankle seems to roll and my foot starts slopping on side hills.
I think a size smaller would be too tight. With a thicker sock when it's cold they fit a lot better.

They also don't breathe at all... Probably the nature of the beast.

We have a Scarpa dealer in town and I saw Promotive offers these too.

How are their mountaineering boots? They seem really stiff. What about for wife feet? How do they breathe?

I'll probably keep the Kenetreks for when it's cold but I'd like to get a pair for thinner socks and September and summer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JoshTX

WKR
I just got a pair of Scarpa Kinesis from L&S and I couldn't be happier. I've only put about 20 miles on them but my feet feel like they are floating on a cushion of boobs.

I just got a pair of Scarpa Kinesis from L&S and I couldn't be happier. I've only put about 20 miles on them but my feet feel like they are floating on a cushion of boobs.

That is the greatest recommendation I have ever seen for a boot. I may have to buy a pair just based on that!

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
I love boobs.. LOL Kinda thinking the Grand Dru. What's stiffer between the Grand Dru and the Kinesis?

With L&S you order the 3D mapping kit then you'll send you what sizes you'll need for each brand your interested in? What if you don't want to order from them?
I wish you could court your boots like your wife. Take her out for a few dates, make sure her dad's farm has good hunting then make her yours for life...

PhatSki

WKR
The Grand Dru are a lot of boot for hunting unless you plan on using crampons on steep snow/ice which is where they excel. They are super stiff and they might even have a bit of insulation, but not sure. I am not familiar with the Kinesis. I use the Scarpa high altitude boots and plastic boots for mtneering the bigger peaks in South America and really like them. My favorite, early season, hunting boots are the Lowa Tibet GTX Hi tops. Amazing comfort and light for their size. My late season boots are Salewa Guide Pros which I like so much I bought two pair. I also guide ice climbing in these boots as well as summer mountaineering in the states. I was considering getting a pair of Lowa Tibet Superwarms for late season hunting, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Since every manufacturers uses a slightly different mold for making their boots you just have to try on a bunch to find the one that fits your type of foot. Many of my guides really like the La Sportiva boots so maybe give those a try. They just dont seem to fit me right. Crispi is another. There are a lot of good boots out there so it might take some time to find the right one! Cheers

I bought pair of Triolet's last winter and just dont like them. Not completely sure why ? I wear an 11.5 and will sell them cheap if thats your size. Just feel kinda clunky I guess. I usually wear real stiff soled boots so thats not the issue. I have average width feet and usually prefer a little more than average forefoot . These were my first pair of Scarpas.

Muttly

WKR
After coming to the conclusion via brannick device that my feet actually were getting bigger than I remembered, 14 from 13, seemed reasonable to get bigger boots.
Went from Lowa gtx hunter extremes to a pair of Scarpa Grand Dru about a month ago. This is coming from a guy who wears double shank lineman boots all day long, so my preference might be slightly skewed..stock insoles, pretty stiff, got a little more heel movement than I actually wanted. Sofsole neutral arch, scoshe more heel lift than I wanted, maybe a little snugger than I wanted. Probably coulda fine tuned it with the socks. Super feet orange, so far, so good, on a sorta short hike with a little elevation, feeling pretty darn good, just enough give and cushioning to make me happy!
Try heading up a mountain this weekend with a loaded pack, see how I like that combo..
Was initially planning on getting the Wrangells, but Moose Jaw had a sale going, 100 bucks off regular price when I got the Grand Dru, figured if they were a little narrower than I wanted, send em back and get the Wrangells. At this point, like em a LOT, probably gonna be a pair of Lowa,s in 13 wide up for sale at a really reasonable price.
I,d say try a couple pair on, if you like a boot with a stiffer sole, they are pretty nice.

JoshTX

WKR
I love boobs.. LOL Kinda thinking the Grand Dru. What's stiffer between the Grand Dru and the Kinesis?

With L&S you order the 3D mapping kit then you'll send you what sizes you'll need for each brand your interested in? What if you don't want to order from them?
I wish you could court your boots like your wife. Take her out for a few dates, make sure her dad's farm has good hunting then make her yours for life...

No experience with the Grand Dru and I've only had the Kinesis for a month so take this for what it's worth. The Kinesis is an all leather boot with a pretty decent rubber rand. Coming from the Salomon Quest's, yes it's a much stiffer boot, but I would imagine that the more mountaineering centric boots are going to be even stiffer than that. I wanted a happy medium and was originally interested in the Cevedale but L&S steered me clear of those based on my foot size and fairly uncommon high arch. This brings me to the process of ordering from L&S..

I ordered the mapping kit, had my feet traced, took the photos and sent them in for their assessment. I spent 43 minutes on the first call with James about my feet and I learned more in those 43 minutes than I had ever known about my feet. I learned that my blister problems were coming from my current boots being too large and that I needed a boot that would accommodate my high arch while providing lift for my toes. The Lowa Tibet and the Scarpa Kinesis were what they suggested, and after a bit of research, I decided to go with the Kinesis. After placing the order, I got them about 2-3 weeks later and was instructed to call them again before wearing the boots outside. I did and got the final consultation about lacing and what the boots should feel like once laced properly. After 20 miles...no hotspots and no blisters. I am, of course, excited about this, but time will tell.

You do need to understand that ordering the custom boot system from L&S, isn't cheap. The mapping kit cost is taken off the top of the total bill, but the amount that I paid exceeded the cost of the boot and the synergy footbeds, when priced directly off the site. I was willing to pay this because IF I do have problems in the future, they will tweak the boot until there is no more problem, as many times as that takes. That combined with the knowledge gained about my own feet made the cost justifiable to me. It also means that they can re-creat the footbed for any future boots I buy from them. It may prove to be snake oil, but I don't think so at this point. I am glad I took the plunge..BUT it's only been a month. Hopefully they will prove their worth come September and on that third pack-out back to the truck.

Blisters are bulls@$t and my hope is that the juice is worth the squeeze.

Frankly if you don't think you are going to buy from L&S, I wouldn't incur the expense of the mapping kit. That said, without it, I guarantee you that you won't discover as much about your feet as those guys will.

Just my dos centavos and your mileage may vary ;-)

Last edited:
OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
So I went to Bighorn Sports here in Great Falls. I told the guy my problem with my Kenetreks and he set me up with a park of Sole insoles. I wore them around the house last night. Definitely ate up some of the extra room! Going scouting hopefully tomorrow. We'll see! Thanks guys!

whats the overall impression on sizing for Scarpa? My foot is basically a 13.5 I've had Solomons in 13 and they were too close on the toes. I'm kinda confused about the euro sizing. Looking like 47.5 or 48 for the euro

I measure just about the same as your foot. I tried on a 47 yesterday that felt good. I e tried a 48 before but my heel is too loose. I don't know if they make a 47.5

I've had the kenisis for 4 years now. They have been great for me. I'm a solid size 10.5 but I've discovered my size 44 kenisis are a fuzz too big so I just use them in late season with thick socks. I recently tried Triolets and Charmoz. 43 was too short, 44 was too long. Settled on 43.5 Charmoz and have had trouble with them. I've held on to them hoping they would break in. Scarpa' s mountaineering boots seem to fit much narrower in the toe box than the kenises, and they are WAY stiffer. The Charmoz make the Kenises feel like slippers. I'm just not used to a boot that stiff. I've done some hiking in the Charmoz and always get heel slip and painful rubbing on the outside of my pinky toe. I do not have wide feet, pretty average I think. Hope that helps.

They don't 47.5, no love for the big guys haha. I'll probably just order the 2 closest sizes and keep the best

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member

You had me at "boobs"

Just received the Kailish in side 48/14 ordered the charmoz a size smaller they should be here tomorrow. Guessing they will be a touch too small and will send back

Sunspot

WKR
whats the overall impression on sizing for Scarpa? My foot is basically a 13.5 I've had Solomons in 13 and they were too close on the toes. I'm kinda confused about the euro sizing. Looking like 47.5 or 48 for the euro

Same here and Lowa 14's are perfect.

Unoboats

WKR
Lathrop boys are the bomb, saved my feet and gave me the information to continue to have pain free hiking while hunting. Not sure if i feel like im walking on boobs, but will look at the bottom of my feet tonight and check for nipple marks,lol.

Boots built on their BD last are their widest - SL Activ, Kinesis, and I believe Ranger. The BD last is a little wider than their old wide last - the BX last. I would say they're true to size or a little small in length, with good toe box room in the BD last, and not an overly wide heel. And the offer 1/2 sizes well past 12s.

Gwoodak

FNG
Been wearing a pair of the Grand Dru's for about a month now. I work on a mountain and have been wearing them pretty steadily while at work when it hasn't been too hot (for Alaska). I'm usually between a size 10 and 10.5 so I was thrilled to see they came in a size 10-1/3. Work consists of heavy equipment operation, trail construction, logging, hazing black bears, construction site management, and a good bit of desk work. My impressions so far are that the boot is stiff. Almost too stiff for the general day to day work stuff. I've done a few backpacking trips in prep for my wife's fly in moose hunt this September and the boots like to have a load on them. Pack weight was around 45 lbs and the boots seem to settle in a bit once they have some weight on them (I'm 175lbs). No blisters as of yet but I did have a few hot spots on my heels after scrambling up some steep ridge stuff. I put a layer of Leukotape on and put an end to the hot spots. Lacing is standard stuff but the double tongue is a nice feature and allows some adaptability in terms of heel retention and downhill foot forward slippage. As far as construction goes they are bomber while still being fairly light. My last pair of boots were Salewa Repace's and they were, and still are, a great pair of boots that served me well on a couple caribou hunts and a Dall hunt but I wanted something a bit beefier for hauling out (hopefully) a bull moose. The Grand Dru's have a nice toe on them that is stiff and able to toe point well on small rock seams but they don't smear quite as well as a softer soled boot like my Salewa's do. Side-hilling is great and the sole has great torsional stiffness that creates a nice shelf to stand on while crossing scree and shale. Waterproofness is solid and I crossed some larger streams (with gaiters) without getting my socks wet and no issues after trudging through a couple bowls of corn snow. I wouldn't get these boots last minute and expect a quick break in. These things are diesel and take a good bit of time to warm up but once they do they'll sure pull a load. It all comes down to fit though and if they don't feel good in the store its likely they wont improve with "break in". I have no doubt these boots will hold up through the apocalypse and serve me well for many trips into the back-country as well as at work. My crampons fit tight and there wasn't any weird heel float even when walking on dirt and rock which I've experienced with some other semi-auto crampon compatible heels. They ain't cheap and I might have gone a different direction if my wife didn't run the retail dept at the mountain. $450.00 is a lot to throw down on a pair of boots that are pretty heavy duty for most hunting. I'd wear them for rifle hunting elk in the high country but they'd be hard to keep quiet for bow season hunts (and hot). Hope this helps with your decision and good luck out there this season.