Boot shopping history for wide feet

TheCougar

WKR
I have fat feet like yours. I found Meidls at Cabelas and they are nice and wide, especially in toe box. Very comfortable as well. My only beef is they are too wide at the ankle and I had to put some tuff toe on the front to keep from wearing through the leather.

OP
G
I'm trying the old put a ziploc full of water in your boots put it int the freezer trick right now. I've always wanted to try that and these Meindls are very close to fitting hope it works

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
My fellow sasquatches my search has ended, or so I hope

The vasque breeze didn't work, hopes mean nothing...

Cabela's USA had some winners....

I ended up,with a pair of meindl vented light hikers in 13 EE

A close second was the Cabela's brand rim rock hikers, but the flex point at the end of the laces bugged the top of my foot.

Of note, Cabela's said if they have issues, or I have issues with them they'll take them back. I said even if I've worn them a few weeks,muggy said yes.

Looking at goathunters post above Meindl,could be the official boot of the Sasquatch club.

Very best,

Ian

OP
G
My fellow sasquatches my search has ended, or so I hope

The vasque breeze didn't work, hopes mean nothing...

Cabela's USA had some winners....

I ended up,with a pair of meindl vented light hikers in 13 EE

A close second was the Cabela's brand rim rock hikers, but the flex point at the end of the laces bugged the top of my foot.

Of note, Cabela's said if they have issues, or I have issues with them they'll take them back. I said even if I've worn them a few weeks,muggy said yes.

Looking at goathunters post above Meindl,could be the official boot of the Sasquatch club.

Very best,

Ian

IanF - happy to hear that - congratulations! Looks like the stack of boot boxes at my house. I have (currently) a pair of Denalis I'm trying out, a pair of Perfekt Hikers on order, a new pair of SOLE Thin Sport footbeds, and a Superfeet Carbon footbeds on order...

Something to look at when trying these - the footbed on the Denali was really thick. I found the SOLE thin sport to be really thin and it makes a BIG difference for toe room. But, it was uncomfortable, so the Superfeet insole is on order. I got them both on sale for around $30. So with the thin footbed and thinner socks, the Denali I think is going to work out and hopefully I’ll break them in and they’ll work even better.

But, I ordered the Perfekts on a whim last night anyways to see if there is any difference between the Denalis for width and because why not - I've tried every other boot made. And if I go with the Perfekts it would give me the opportunity to stretch as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Either way, I'm going to stick it out with one of these boots for the season.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Goathunter thanks for pointing out the insoles, I think it made a huge difference on the Meindls. The factory footbed can best be described as almost a Birkenstock sandal, very well made of cork. Matters not to me as I wear orthotics, but the boot was made for it so it benefitted me big time. Also, Meindl makes this boot in all leather, but none in store to try on...

I had my cobbler stretch strategically my lowas, took two visits and two,weeks, cost was $15. I had them put tape on the exact spots I needed attention and they focused there jig on those areas. Look forward to hearing on the freezer bag.

Very best,

Ian

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the old school, Alico Summits. They are constructed with Vibram soles using a Norwegian welt build. The uppers are built using a solid piece of leather and have a very generous toe box. They come in wider sizes and they are the first boots that I have owned where I can comfortably use light weight to heavy expedition weight wool socks without slippage or constriction of my forefoot. The only negative is the factory insole provides poor support and I have replaced them with Superfeet Orange insoles. A good friend, and avid backpacker and hiker recommended them to me several years ago. I wish I had followed his advice then. They are great boots that will last for a long time.

Last edited:

TheCougar

WKR
I've tried on several different types of the Meindl boots and they all fit a bit differently. On the plus side, Cabelas will take back your boots even after you wear them. I wore my Perfekts for a year, wore through the toe (hence the Tuff Toe comment from a previous post) and Cabelas replaced them, no questions asked. I love my Meindls but wasn't impressed with the toe durability. Keep the box and receipt!!!

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my pair of Schnee's wide bear tooth yesterday.

I don't know how these are considered wide? Guess I'll be using my worn out Meindls again.

OP
G
Ian

Not to get ahead of myself I have been let down before and sometimes it takes some miles to notice problems, but it is looking like I am going to agree with IanF, Meindls are the boot for me. They run 1/2 size long in my opinion. I am trying Denalis and Perfekts right now and the plan was to keep one and send the other back and I want to keep both. Man, the Perfekts are comfortable! I will have a tough time deciding.

OP
G
I just received my pair of Schnee's wide bear tooth yesterday.

I don't know how these are considered wide? Guess I'll be using my worn out Meindls again.

Ya, that was my opinion. Their standards are really narrow. I may have tried the Wide in too small of size and they were narrow too.

akshayv

Banned
My feet are very sore, and my right ankle bone won't tolerate any pressure on it for very long. I need a shoe that is cut high above the ankle area I bought for my plantar fasciitis. So I will have to keep looking. Thanks for my great shopping experience with Orthofeet.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to resurrect this thread because sadly it seems Cabela's is phasing out the Meindl models. I cannot find the Perfekt boot at all and of the few models offered, no wide widths in my size (8.5). :mad: So now it is back to the drawing board.

Unfortunately I did not review this thread before trying new boots because I tried (again) the Schnee's Beartooth II to no avail only to read this thread and realize I tried the exact same pair two years ago. Has anyone tried purchasing Meindl products from Europe? At this point, I am that desperate.

Dang hobbit feet!

cmahoney

WKR
I have waffle irons for feet and used two sets of Meindl’s in the past. I picked up a set of Salomon X ultra wide mid gtx’s this year and they are awesome. They are definitely on the lighter side but if the 4d’s fit the same they would be replacement for the Meindl’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info in this thread! Thanks from someone who has wide feet also. Threads like this really help, especially when I'm limited on funds to buy 'n try a bunch of different boots.

For you guys with heel slip in the Lowa Tibets.

I run 10 wide but have narrow heels and had heel slip issues and they were still too narrow and cutting off circulation.

I bought in to using all kinds of inserts in order to remedy the problem. On a last ditch effort I finally found the right combo for me. Went to very thin wool socks like "fit" and dumped all the inserts. I'm practically running bare in there. I now have no heel slip. I think sitting lower in the boot puts the heel in line with the pocket verses sitting up on a cushion like superfeet provide. Having less volume in the boot laterally also creates way more circulation and oddly my feet don't get as cold even sitting for hours on a ridge.

I was worried my feet would get plantar fasciitis without arch cushion but the boots are so stiff I think that counteracts that.

Last point is that the extra room means you can really crank the laces with the crossover heel lock lacing that you can see on YouTube. I'm using the lacing all the time now on hunting boots.

Last edited: