Review: Crispi Idaho GTX Boots, by guest writer Dustin Wittwer

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders.

Lots of talk about Crispi lately so please welcome guest writer Dustin Wittwer of Team Backcountry.

He recently tested the Crispi Idaho GTX Boots and submitted a review.

He walks (pun intended) us through how this boot is working for him and how it might be a good fit for you.

He should be visiting this thread soon, so post up any questions/comments you might have or if you have any experience with these boots, let us know your thoughts.

Crispi Idaho GTX Boot Review

Last edited:

Slim Jim

WKR
I just ordered these early this morning so that I'll have them in time for my UT hunt this upcoming week. If they're anything like the Summit Browns, I'm going to love them. My right ankle always bothers me after hiking so I'm hoping that extra lace in height will give a little more ankle support.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Didn't Ross review these boots as well recently? Can't remember if it was the Idaho's or one of their others. I always liked the looks and specs of the Idaho's. After all my other boots wear out these would be first on my list to try out.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't Ross review these boots as well recently? Can't remember if it was the Idaho's or one of their others. I always liked the looks and specs of the Idaho's. After all my other boots wear out these would be first on my list to try out.
Ross reviewed the Nevadas

How long/many miles was the break in?

I've worn other boots that required a "mileage" break in but, for us, these were truly broke in out of the box. We've logged over 50+ miles so far with no problems or blisters. Make sure a high quality pair of merino wool socks and preferably a liner sock are worn but, if you have them fit correctly, you shouldn't require much of a break in period. It's always smart to make a few laps around the neighborhood or make a short hike though, just to be safe.

Fireguy

WKR
I just ordered these early this morning so that I'll have them in time for my UT hunt this upcoming week. If they're anything like the Summit Browns, I'm going to love them. My right ankle always bothers me after hiking so I'm hoping that extra lace in height will give a little more ankle support.

I did too. I'll be hunting Pine Valley where are you going?

ktowncamo

WKR
How long/many miles was the break in?

Have to agree with what Dustin said, my Idaho's were solid out of the box. Now I use an insole (I use the Montrail Enduro, and have been testing the Superfeet lately) so that could also help me with any footwear feeling better from the get go, but my first hike in the Idaho was 4 miles pheasant hunting (last fall) of moderate up and down. Next outing was more of the same. Used them a few times for shed hunting and the first real test after about 15 miles of moderate use was a 9 mile day with about 3000 vertical. I did get one little itty bitty warm spot on the heel, but laced them up a little better and it didn't propagate or grow. Surprisingly comfortable out of the box.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am glad that you had good luck with the Idaho! Myself and a buddy were less than impressed by ours leaving us with horrible blisters on many occasions. Now that they are two years old I do not get blisters and guess they are broke in for me and comfortable now. But the soles are almost wore out now! On the other hand, the Nevada was/is great from the get go for me and still are today with very little "break-in" period.

It goes to show that boots are different for everybody! In the end having a boot that fits your foot correctly is a must!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dam it Jared! Why did you post this? My boots will be here in about 3 hours.
Now I'm worried. Lol

I wouldn't worry Slim Jim! I know numerous others who have had great luck with them! It is prolly my odd shaped feet or something! I am sure you will like em!

Sometimes all it takes is a different insole inside the boot to change the fit. I failed at ever doing that so I may have done a bit of dis-service to the boot. Heck, today they are super comfy though!

Last edited:

Slim Jim

WKR
Hahaha I'm not too worried. I'm only packing in a few miles for my UT hunt this week so blisters shouldn't be an issue. Plus I use Superfeet insoles which have always worked well for me.

Can you comment on fit? Do they run true to size? Relative to some other brands? Wide or narrow?

I am trying out some kenetrek so this year but have my eye on some crispis. I have pretty wide feet and wonder how they fit.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Can you comment on fit? Do they run true to size? Relative to some other brands? Wide or narrow?

I am trying out some kenetrek so this year but have my eye on some crispis. I have pretty wide feet and wonder how they fit.

They seem to run pretty true to size for most people including myself. I wear the same size Idaho that I wear in everyday shoes. The only exception to that would be a guy that I helped that always wore cowboy style work boots and bought a 9 in those because they stretch out over time. He had to go up to a 10 in the Wyoming boot because his toes would hit the front.

If you order through Blackovis.com you can try them on inside and make sure they fit, if you end up needing to size up or down that isn't a problem at all. I would suggest buying the size you normally wear in shoes not whatever has worked with other high end boot brands. Lowa's of course run a bit narrow and Kenetrek's can seem to run wide in the toe box so guys sometimes go down a half size. Zamberlan's tend to run a bit long and perhaps narrow if you are on the verge of having a "wide" foot. Feel free to message me or call me at 801-559-7556 if you have any questions or concerns.

chindits

WKR
I normally don't have fit and comfort concerns. I have covered lots of miles in jungle boots, some of these boots I altered taking the toe caps out and the sole plate out, old school SFAS alterations. I don't worry about boots to keep my ankles from rolling as most of my boots have had zero ankle support and my summer backpacking shoe is usually nothing more than a trail running shoe.

However, as I grow long in the tooth, I have found my own discomfort niche in boots. This was readily apparent this archery season as I had day after day of rain saturated meadows, and that early transitional rocky mountain snow. Even with gaiters, even with boot seams sealed with silicone, even with repeat applications of snow seal or silicone based waterproofing on the boots I have worn; the boots get wet, get saturated, and leak. I have tried two different models of this unnamed company's boots and they both had a goretex inner liner. Now neither of these boots were Crispi, so why am I writing this. Well as I look at the Crispi Idaho I see a boot with multiple seams and fabric pannels and I wonder how can a boot like that stay waterproof for long. What say those of you who have hunted day after day of rain saturated meadows and moisture soaked transition snow with this boot? Has there been more success with dry feet out there with all leather boots with minimal seams? I'm not trying to slam the Idaho here, I just don't want to have another pair of boots that have me wringing out my socks every night from just normal rocky mountain early season hunting, no swamp hunting here. By the way, I don't have a complaint about my feet getting too hot in boots, if I'm not road marching on pavement in the south CONUS or OCONUS, hot feet are just a foreign concept to me.