Trying Boots

Any place near the Denver area to try all the different types of boots. Interested in Crispi, Lowa, and Schnee. I always seem to choose incorrectly on boot sizes and end up hating my decision. Feels good in store, not so much after hiking a few miles. Of those 3, do they all allow you to return after wearing outside?

OP
A
I know REI usually has some Lowa boots, but I don't think I have ever seen the Tibet, Hunter GTX or Bighorn hunter in store

duchntr

WKR
Access Denied

They have free shipping so you wouldn't be out anything if they don't work out for you. When i was trying to figure out what boots fit me i ordered multiple pairs from zappos and quickly narrowed my selection down to a few pairs returned them all and went shopping for better deals.

OP
A
That's not a bad idea, and i hadn't really considered it. I'm very much a brick & mortar fan, and like going in to the store, seeing, trying, and getting my product right then and there. I hate waiting around for deliveries and then having to send them all back cause they didn't fit. But if i can't find a store that at least carries 1 or all of these brands I am interested in.....it might be my only option.

Ya, they have them online....I'm actually running into REI today after work. I will see if they have the model's im looking for in store.

jlmoeller

FNG
I just picked up a pair of Asolo TPS boots at REI in West Des Moines, IA and I really like them.
Jason

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
Not really from what I've found. Jax carries Lowa Tibets. Rei carries Asolo and Salomon. Sportsman's carries Kenetrek. I haven't found anyone who carries Zamberlain or Crispi.

twall13

WKR
I'm not in Colorado and have no idea if these stores are even available in that area but I've seen Zamberlan at Sportsmans Warehouse and I believe Scheels is supposed to be carrying Crispi again.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any place near the Denver area to try all the different types of boots. Interested in Crispi, Lowa, and Schnee. I always seem to choose incorrectly on boot sizes and end up hating my decision. Feels good in store, not so much after hiking a few miles. Of those 3, do they all allow you to return after wearing outside?

Sorry, the only way to try on our boots is in our Bozeman, MT store or by ordering a pair. We make ordering and returning pretty painless, lots of folks go that route to try on our boots. Also, all of our boot sizing is based on the brannock device, which is the little metal foot measurer they have in many footwear departments and shoe stores.

Thanks
Matt

OP
A
Thanks Matt,

Looks like I will have to make my way into a store before ordering. Like i said, i always seem to mess up my sizes. How do you want the boot to fit? I like to be able to wiggle my toes, but then hiking downhill, they always seem to smash into the front. Am i just lacing wrong?

twall13

WKR
Lacing may have something to do with it but you definitely want room for your toes to move. If your toes are smashing the front of the boot going downhill you either don't have your heel locked in via proper lacing, or your boots are too small. No matter how tight you lace your boots you will have your toes move forward a bit when going downhill with a heavy load so you need some extra room. Each boot brand tends to fit individual feet differently. I tried on Lowa, Kenetrek, Hanwaag, etc. before I landed on Crispi being the right fit for my feet. They have a decent system for locking your heel in and it helps prevent excessive movement of your foot inside the boot but every quality boot maker claims to have the best boot, it comes down to how they fit your feet. Once you decide on a boot, try the lacing technique in one of these two videos. They have been helpful to me.
[video=youtube;SOE28brAcEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc[/video]
[video=youtube;W_PLVVfMi_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_PLVVfMi_w[/video]

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
This may sound like too much in a day but I drove all over looking for boots. REI flagship downtown, bp (don't know if they carry anything you mentioned) SW on 84th, gandermountain, Cabela's up north then jax's in Louisville. Boulder has a lot of mountaineering stores.

tttoadman

WKR
Tidbit:
I have bought all of my boots at a mountaineering store in the Portland area. The folks at REI are relatively knowledgable, but I think you get "real" information from the nutty mountaineering people.