Starting point.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hey guys. Been reading the footwear forum a lot lately. I'm looking to get my first pair of high end boots. I'm going to be limited to mail order and return to sort through a few. Okay with that aspect. What I'm curious about,is what to look for while they are still new. I've been wearing the import Danners since 2010. Various models. They are okay,but my ankles have been giving me fits. Sidehilling here and in W.Va has become a real problem. With the upcoming badlands deer hunt next fall,it's time to get with it. I hunt alone and frankly it's a little unsettling. The thought of an accident due to crappy footwear. So. My question is this. Where do I want to jump in for fit with new boots? When properly laced is a little heel slippage acceptable when new? Do toe boxes generally loosen up (widen) with break in? I'm a sock guy. Usually merino over silk or poly blend. So I realize ill need to have them on for the process of fitting. Not trying to be a pain. Just curious how these supportive mountain boots react to break in. Leaning toward Kenetrek Hardscrabble, Crispi Nevada or Lows Tibet first go around. Well have to see from there. Buy once,cry once. Thanks!

In my case with boots the heels do tighten up after breaking in and I the toes loosen up a little bit with the exception of boots with a full rand.

I've found that outside of obvious fit issues I can't judge a boot until they are well broken in. I'd add Hanwag to your list also.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
fit is going to be king and trumps everything- if your toes are cramped out of the box I would not count on breaking in to help- move to a different size or different boot

as you are unable to try on boots, be sure to purchase from an outfit that allows relatively liberal returns; some places pay for shipping both ways and allow generous time to return (although the wear needs to be inside)- zappos.com is one and they carry a pretty full line of boots

another option is look at Schnees- they have a couple of boots in the range you are looking at, they also have an iron clad warranty- if you're not satisfied return them- this might be a good option as it would allow you to wear them outside and return for a different size if need be

Can you really wear the Schnee's outside? I just bought a pair of Absoroka....(write up of my first impressions right above this thread in "Schnee Absoroka") Anyway, I am was going to do some extensive inside wearing before I wore them outside, but as of right now I do like them a lot. TwoTikkas, I would definitely check out Schnee, I've heard good things about the Beartooth and as mtwarden said, that one is about in the same price range as the ones you mentioned.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's the way I read it from their website

"If you are ever dissatisfied with any Schnee's product, simply return it. We do our utmost to insure that every customer is 100% satisfied with every purchase from Schnee's.
That's why we only make and sell the very best. We are from Montana: If it's not right, we'll make it right."

GKPrice

Banned
that's the way I read it from their website

"If you are ever dissatisfied with any Schnee's product, simply return it. We do our utmost to insure that every customer is 100% satisfied with every purchase from Schnee's.
That's why we only make and sell the very best. We are from Montana: If it's not right, we'll make it right."

if you really do have to do it all by mail order there's no other consideration to make that I personally could see or think of - there are other outfits that do what Schnee's does but not to the extent that they do as viewed here on Rokslide - I don't see how a person could expect any better personal service than being able to talk openly with mtwarden every step of the way and in the process I'd expect that you'll learn a lot about your own feet and their needs

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest Lathrop and Sons. I live close enough to drive there and actually get fitted for boots. Might be worth checking into their custom fitting service that is mail order.

Custom Boot Hunting Systems | Lathrop and Son's

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't live to far from them as well. When you went there and got fitted did they still charge a fee for custom fitting like with the mail order system?

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up about schnees return policy I have some beartooths and I like the boot however after wearing them through 1 elk hunt I noticed on steep decents that my pinky toe was rubbing the boot and ended up getting a blister. In the house they seemed to fit really well but in the field I felt I needed 1/2 size larger they are already wide version so maybe going from 11 wide to 11.5 or 12 wide will solve it.

Last edited:
OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Talk about a streak of luck. I have to work in Ohio tomorrow. Ill drive right past Premier Outdoors in Mount Hope that has a decent selection of mountain boots. Time permitting, Ill try on a couple to get an idea what's what.

Akicita

WKR
I'm looking to get my first pair of high end boots. I'm going to be limited to mail order and return to sort through a few. Okay with that aspect. What I'm curious about,is what to look for while they are still new.

I get nearly all of my task specific boots sent to me for R&D by manufacturers without ever having tried them on. They always ask me what size to send and I always measure with Brannock device with the seasonal socks I plan to wear. I then request the boot one size larger than the Brannock measurement. I have found this to work the best to prevent toe jamming while on steep descents and ice climbing. The first thing I do when I receive them is to begin conditioning my foot to the boot by wearing them for long periods of time during low activities. After a few days of low activity conditioning I will wear them on moderate distance walks and hikes with little or no weight. This will identify how much if any heel slip I will have to adjust for as well as any hot spots that will require more conditioning. Once I have them packed out with some moderate walks and heat build up I go to my Super Feet selection and find the best insert to address the heel slip. From there its a matter conditioning my feet to heavy use for short distances adjusting socks and inserts until I am satisfied - at which point they go into full service. When the inserts and and boots get completely packed out in full service I will then have a custom insole made if I decide they make the " go to" selection.

This has worked well for me on most every quality manufactured boot I have tried however I will respectfully state that my experience, conditioning and mindset may be very different than yours - Of the boots you are considering I have worn the Tibets and they have my full endorsement.

I don't live to far from them as well. When you went there and got fitted did they still charge a fee for custom fitting like with the mail order system?
They didn't charge for the fitting but I don't think it was as in depth as the one where they make the templates of your foot. They were extremely helpful and I tried on several boots while I was there. It is a very small place, so be prepared.

They started out as a podiatrist shop. I think one of the sons has a degree in orthotics as well. If you have irregular feet or ankle problems like I have, in my opinion, they are the best.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Well. I stopped and tried on a few boots on the way home today. Learned a LOT! My foot is bigger than it looks. If any manner of sock is in the plans,nothing short of wide width stands a chance. And,like folks here have stated previously,at least a half size longer. Really screwed the pooch. I was quite enamored with a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. The price seemed quite low. I should have written down some particulars before heading out. Even after a hearty 6.5 percent tax they were $50 less than what I have found online. Tried to get WiFi in the parking lot. No luck. Chit. I will say they mirrored what you all have said about Kenetrek. The quality is obvious. Tough to decide once you start shopping. Tried Lowa,Hanwag,and Kenetrek today. Need to get some Schnee and Crispi in hand also. You fellas have been real helpful as well. Thanks!

akshayv

Banned
Orthofeeet shoes Recommended by a close friend who has used your product for years with immediate relief. I hope I am able to say the same when I start using them. My foot pain is becoming unbearable. Shopping experience was effortless. Shopping & placing order was easy. Will be waiting to see the quality of product ordered. I have a very small foot, size ladies 4, some size 5's fit if they run small/narrow, which is hard to find. I have high arches & have to have good support shoes. Hoping these orthotic arches will help in my sandals.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Orthofeeet shoes Recommended by a close friend who has used your product for years with immediate relief. I hope I am able to say the same when I start using them. My foot pain is becoming unbearable. Shopping experience was effortless. Shopping & placing order was easy. Will be waiting to see the quality of product ordered. I have a very small foot, size ladies 4, some size 5's fit if they run small/narrow, which is hard to find. I have high arches & have to have good support shoes. Hoping these orthotic arches will help in my sandals.
Please stop spamming us with your bs

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk