Irish setter 860 elk tracker

hey everybody its the new guy asking for some intel. I have always had great luck in red wing boots but I have never hiked/hunted in Colorado. does anyone have first hand knowledge with the elk tracker boots and if so what do you think. I am not worried about the durability just based off the name but tis is something I want to be sure of before I end up in the mountains and have a boot fail and but up the creek. how comfortable, heavy, good or bad choice? thanks in advance

Warren

jfronk

FNG
I've used two different pairs of Elk Trackers for about 8 years in PA but never in Colorado. They held up very well and were comfortable but they are heavy. I switched to Kenetreks last spring and it is a night and day difference. The Kenetreks are much lighter and much more support. Hope this helps you.

GKPrice

Banned
between Kenetrek, Crispi, Lowa, or Cabela's Meindl you will assuredly find a boot for you that completely rocks your world after what you've been wearing

hflier

WKR
Being originally from PA I know that boot brands like Red Wings are looked at as good solid boots. But that is for daily casual type wear not backpacking under load in the mountains. Focus on spending more and get one of the brands GKPrice listed. Then test then under heavy load and also make sure your toes don't bottom out on a down hill. With boots you have to know 100% they are going to work prior to the hunt. If you don't, it can ruin the hunt you spent all the time and money getting to. In that scenario the extra $150-$200 you would have spent on first class boots would be insignificant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pair for the last two years and they are the most comfortable boots I have out of Cabelas Meindl airrevolution and Crispi Kanada. No tightness in toes, heel fits good but not a deep heel pocket. The disclaimer is I'm not backpack hunting in them but if they fit really well for you and your not carrying 30+ lb pack don't be afraid to try them, but do so before you get to the mountains. They are not designed or intended as backpacking boots.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Speeddmn

FNG
I live in Utah and have these boots. I don't wear them in the mountains, I did when I elk hunted in Colorado. I now wear Kenetrek. I do still use the insulated and non insulated versions for daily chores, shoveling snow, ice fishing etc. The leather is way to soft and does not provide enough support to the ankles. They will keep your feet warm and dry, but I have rolled an ankle and wont do it again.

Look at it this way, go spend the 250+ on these, break them in over the summer. Then they fail you on your hunt... Or spend the 400+ on a quality proven built for the terrain Kenetrek's and wear them for everything for 10+ years. Your choice, my money goes to quality over quantity.

OP
shinerbauck
Well I sure appreciate all the intel and will definitely be looking at a different boots. I am not wanting to be out of the hunt over a pair of boots. Primarily going to be backpacking in for 7-10 days of archery and really don't want to be hurting any more than expected. anyway safe hunting and again thanks and talk to you later

Embarger

FNG
I have a pair of the 200g insulated elk trackers that I use to fight wild fires and work in year round along with some hunting I've had them for about two and a half years and they are still going strong. Pretty great boots for the money.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Spent my first 2 years probably 45+ miles hiking and hunting in the Elk Trackers here in Colorado. They are comfortable and kept my feet dry and warm even when crossing creeks. They have held up well. I still own them but now moved on to other named boots listed by others.

I have had these boots for the last 2 years, warm and waterproof. I put some green superfeet in this year and they are comfortable, but I do get some heel rub. They are heavy boots! I do not mind them for day hunts and cold wet conditions, but I think I will be upgrading this year. I have been looking at the Schnee's Granite. For a $200 dollar boot they are awesome, but if I could do it over I would spend the extra $200 and do it right the first time. Bite the bullet, buy it once and they will last.

SheepDogRob

Lil-Rokslider
My wife works at a large sports retail store so I've tried several brands of boots. In the $200 range, the Elk Trackers are absolutely awesome. They were very comfortable out of the box and through two seasons haven't failed me. I really abused them last elk season in north east Oregon but they kept my feet dry and warm. I've got the 200gm version.

I haven't tried the other high end brands but I've been eyeing the Kenetrek boots for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk