White's Boots Dri-Foot Outdoorsman

Matt I've been looking at the Outdoorsman for quite some time and am seriously thinking about getting a pair. Just so you know Grizzly Boots in Missoula carries these in stock! They look like a great boot and the sole looks like it will have traction galore!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt I've been looking at the Outdoorsman for quite some time and am seriously thinking about getting a pair. Just so you know Grizzly Boots in Missoula carries these in stock! They look like a great boot and the sole looks like it will have traction galore!

Thanks David.

I am excited to receive mine soon, and will keep you and all roksliders updated on what I think of them!

Clarktar

WKR
Matt did you go insulated? I'm about to order up a pair of 200 gram insulated ones

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
I have a lot of friends who work in the logging and wildland firefighting industries, and they say that White's has dropped off in quality over the last ten years and that Nick's Boots are now the premier brand for that type of work.

I have a lot of friends who work in the logging and wildland firefighting industries, and they say that White's has dropped off in quality over the last ten years and that Nick's Boots are now the premier brand for that type of work.

these are sharp too.....any more?

GKPrice

Banned
How do smokejumpers perform on steep hills and rocks? I had foot surgery a few years ago and rocky trails bother me. On top of that I have chronically tight calves; I worry that the boot may not be stiff enough to provide the support I want to help take strain off my calves and feet on the uphill like some of the higher tech hunting and mountaineering boots.

they got their name for good reason - "uneven ground" is what they are made for -

Emill

FNG
Those are some sweet looking boots. I really like whites and nicks boots but both have such high arches I can't wear them. I've got flat feet and the arch in them feel like a golf ball is in my boot. I put an order in for a pair of Drew's Boots with a lower heal. I wish they had gortex membrane like those whites .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had read the same. The one thing that makes White's more appealing is the waterproof liner in the outdoorsman, but I suspect the leather repels water just fine or they wouldn't be so popular with loggers in the PNW. I do like that they also post the price for custom fitting ($125) wheras White's seems to discourage it at all costs saying that only a small number of people actually need it (I know I would). My current boots are about to give out on me and given the time it takes to make these I'm starting to get serious about coughing up the $$.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I had read the same. The one thing that makes White's more appealing is the waterproof liner in the outdoorsman, but I suspect the leather repels water just fine or they wouldn't be so popular with loggers in the PNW. I do like that they also post the price for custom fitting ($125) wheras White's seems to discourage it at all costs saying that only a small number of people actually need it (I know I would). My current boots are about to give out on me and given the time it takes to make these I'm starting to get serious about coughing up the $$.

Loggers usually run all-leather boots in the summer and pacs in the winter. Some people hunt in Pacs in the late fall and winter.

I have a 10yo pair of Hawthorn smoke jumpers that I cut firewood and September archery hunt in. I also used to be a steel fabricator and wore boots at work that were very similar, just didn't have the tall heel. I think the best part about boots like this is the fit and comfort that comes with an unlined boot.

I'm looking at ordering a pair of the Nick's Firetrooper for hunting. They're a basic smoke jumper boot, but they have a low heel Vibram.

I'm looking at ordering a pair of the Nick's Firetrooper for hunting. They're a basic smoke jumper boot, but they have a low heel Vibram.

So you prefer the lower heel for the mountains? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the high heel? I'm already 6'5" so a 2-3" heel on my boots have some unintended consequences.

IdahoBeav

WKR
So you prefer the lower heel for the mountains? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the high heel?
In my experience the tall heel offers better traction when going down hill as long as the ground is soft. I used to live in western Oregon, and the Pacific rain forest they have over there has soft ground.

I have found the tall heel to be very uncomfortable on rocks and hard ground.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Here's the Nick's model I want to order, all the benefits of an unlined work boot without the tall heel. I like the rough-out. They're also available in brown.

e689a08822b22bd1ccacbbe3300a55a3.jpg

Clarktar

WKR
Stop by Whites on my way to Montana
8084839e5c973612c1ef2e4103200ef3.jpg
52aef5f38c5ebbb0baa49595e3a4e3ac.jpg
3ce47709037a20baa038a02a3a47dde0.jpg

And I walked out with a pair of boots after being fit and measured.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am wearing lace to toe custom smoke jumpers now. They are rugged and heavy. Quality has fallen off in recent years imo. However the store is fairly close to the house....so it is what it is. Don't know if I will buy another pair or not. Just not sure if they are worth the money anymore. If I buy a new pair of boots at $250ish or less every other or 3rd year....I am money ahead for sure. Just not customs. I usually buy 1/2 size bigger than needed due to shrinkage when I rebuild them. Should have gone a full size last time. Mine are pretty tight in the toe and the toe curl is worse than usual. Like I said....for the money.....I dunno....there are ALOT of other options.

GKPrice

Banned
Here's the Nick's model I want to order, all the benefits of an unlined work boot without the tall heel. I like the rough-out. They're also available in brown.

e689a08822b22bd1ccacbbe3300a55a3.jpg

being "NFPA certified" is there leather treating or some other fabric like Nomex used in these ? I've been out of "fire" for 20 years now, have not kept up with ingredients for footwear and boots but I do remember about NFPA cert - I'm just asking because sometimes "safety" outweighs "comfort" in fire equipment design so I'm just curious

IdahoBeav

WKR
being "NFPA certified" is there leather treating or some other fabric like Nomex used in these ? I've been out of "fire" for 20 years now, have not kept up with ingredients for footwear and boots but I do remember about NFPA cert - I'm just asking because sometimes "safety" outweighs "comfort" in fire equipment design so I'm just curious
That's a very good point and a valid concern for me.

I would think that it wouldn't negatively affect comfort. Wildland firefighting and logging are far more physically demanding than any hunting, especially on the feet. I will be asking about it before I purchase.

That's a very good point and a valid concern for me.

I would think that it wouldn't negatively affect comfort. Wildland firefighting and logging are far more physically demanding than any hunting, especially on the feet. I will be asking about it before I purchase.

I can tell you right now my hunting boots are a HELL of a lot more comfortable then any boots I wore as a choke setter. The midsoles at least in my experience are completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
I can tell you right now my hunting boots are a HELL of a lot more comfortable then any boots I wore as a choke setter. The midsoles at least in my experience are completely different.

What kind of boots were you wearing at work?

I have a set of Hawthorns, and the fit is better than any hunting boot I've worn, but I do agree with you about the soles, very uncomfortable on hard surfaces. I also have a pair of Danner Super Rainforest and have not had this problem with them. Something about the tall heel is just bad when you're not on soft ground.

A pair of plain toe smoke jumpers, 2 pair of rainforests, a pair of thorogoods that I hated and a pair of danners pre rainforest, cannot remember what they were called, but when they were 100 USA made.
The fit is great, but my feet would be sore at the end of most days. Even with a heavy pack I rarely get sore feet or knees with my hunting boots. I think they deal with the impact force better as they are not designed for absolute durability. I personally would never choose a hunting boot to log in and I would never choose a logging boot to hunt in, that's just me though. Some guys love plain toe loggers no matter what.