White's Boots Dri-Foot Outdoorsman

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The White's Outdoorsmans showed up today!

Fit is flawless.

The pebble finish leather is different than other White's boots I have. Initial quality of worksmanship is top notch.

Includes tongue protectors:

And two choices of laces (I installed the leather):

Custom cushioned insoles with a sewn-in leather pad:

I only have a few hours in them so far, but so far no notable break-in pain.

bhylton

WKR
obviously these are not a lightweight boot. durability and longevity being top notch. but i would be interested how much they weigh? people always talk about how heavy whites/nicks / "real boots" are. be interesting to see how heavy they really are...

Clarktar

WKR
Just cleaned and rubbed in some huberds boot grease
562250bb27c9ba779997edb6a3856bdc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Update video:

[video=youtube_share;mVfLJ4rszAw]https://youtu.be/mVfLJ4rszAw[/video]

The Dri-Foot Outdoorsmans are breaking in nicely!

Matt I just got my White's Outdoorsman boots (uninsulated) a couple days ago. I put several coats of Obenauf's on them and then put them on the Peet boot dryer to help get the treatment into the leather. I got the boots with the Claw sole. I've had that on previous boots and really liked it. I might regret this but I'm not going to get to do a real break in with some easy shorter jaunts but will be taking them out hunting. Trial by fire. I'll let you know how it goes but they sure look outstanding.

David

I just used my Whites a couple days here elk hunting. Snow both days with about 6" of snow the last day I hunted with them. It was about 20 degrees out and the snow was nice and quiet. The second day was much better than the first and I think they will break in nicely. They fell really comfortable and even though I got the uninsulated Outdoorsman's, my feet stayed nice and warm. Even when we took a break for about 30 minutes or so to have a bite to eat and drink I never noticed my feet starting to get cold. My feet were completely dry and comfortable. Had a couple hot spots the first day but no blisters. The second day was better. I really like the Montana Claw lug sole. It has superb traction. I've had that sole on previous boots and it's a winner. I put several applications of Obenauf's boot dressing on them before I used them and that seems to help. I know it protects the leather very well. I'll update after I get to use them some more. If the temperatures don't drop any more I'll probably continue to use them to help get them broken in. I carry a day-pack that weighs around 20-30 pounds depending on how much stuff I have in there. The foot support has been excellent.

David

yeti22

FNG
Hi. Im looking to buy a pair of these boots. I own a pair of smokejumpers, the 400V model which are my favorite boots. How do these compare to the smokejumpers as far as the fit and ankle support? Also is the leather thinner than the SJ?

The favorite thing about my smokejumpers is how durable the leather is and how much support and stiffness they give my ankle area once they're cinched up.

Thanks for your review and any help you can offer!

Clarktar

WKR
I have used these boots all season long, from dry high desert elk hunts, to rainforest deer hunts, and alpine deer hunts. These boots have been great. The only downside I have found (which I understood going into them) is they have a fair amount of flex in them. When looking for grip on 45+ degree slopes they flex unlike my full shank mountaineering boots which if you can get an inch of the side of your boot on something they will hold and not flex. But, these have given me zero blisters since day one, completely water proof (I have crossed several creeks and a shallow riffle in a river) and never got my foot wet. A little warm in 90 degree weather and a little cold in single digit weather. They seem to be holding up great. I will advise you to get an insert for them. I have yet to get an insert, but what they come with is basically a strip of leather. So I do get a "tired" foot on the really long or heavy days.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer.

yeti22

FNG
Thanks for the reply.

My smokjumpers are the same way with the insert. That little piece of leather on my smokejumpers came loose after about 18 months of daily use. I called White's and they told me its just for looks anyways! My whites are comfortable without the insert but they have the arch support, so I may need to use them in these outdoorsman too.

Clarktar

WKR
I can get a weight Thursday night when I get back home. Will post in the thread.

Clarktar

WKR
Each boot weights around 3 lbs and 0.75 ounces. The pair was 6 lbs 1.55 ounces (this includes a little dirt :) )